Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Small Space Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2009, 11:39 PM   #21
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Oddly, Buffalo only had two significant snows last winter and the balcony only caught snow once. But the continual temperature change IS a problem here.

The thing is currently threaded thru about 10-12 rails. Skinny little vines with little leaves. It's like the thing is asking me to kill it. Couldn't it give me a couple flowers this year???????????????????

Remember last year's Clematis? It was in that same pot. It grew and flowered like crazy, vining up to the ceiling on the brick wall and monofilament lines. But I didn't prepare it right for winter and it died.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:42 PM   #22
Official Plant Nerd

Tryyyyyyyyyyyyyy overwintering it on the patio just for the heck of it. You haven't lived until you've killed at least 100 plants. You're lagging behind me. I've killed thousands and we're not exactly talking buckthorns either. I killed plants I didn't want to kill.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #23

Lib, it's been in the 30-40s for two weeks now, and I haven't touched anything on the balcony yet. This week is forecast to get in the high 50s so I guess the annuals should be pulled out of the planters and the *#&^@^ trumpet vine moved the the back corner of the balcony or put in the storage unit.

The vines I guess will have to be cut back far enough to untangle enough from the rails. so far everything looks okay even though the temp has dipped down to 28!

Any other instructions?

We're going north along Lake Ontario towards Rochester/Braddock Bay tomorrow looking for birds, hawks, raptors, fall colors, etc.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #24
Pope

Would wrapping it in an old blanket or something keep it from experiencing rapid temperature swings?
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 07:02 PM   #25

Right now it's at the edge of the balcony where it will get the worst, and actually I have no crummy blankets anymore. Have no idea what I did with them. ???
Old 11-01-2009, 08:35 AM   #26
Rock Star

Vines take a few years to really grow, usually 3,
be patient.

These 2 Lonicera sempervirens in the photo have been in these pots for a few years. They bloomed even though they didn't get fed and soil and compost added until late in the season.
I just cut them way back and inserted smaller trellises for the winter when I moved them in front of the faux garage.

I've been growing a cutting of above in a very small shallow pot for 1 year and although it didn't flower yet it survived the winter with no winterizing cover. But, it's not on a balcony in NY either.
Attached Thumbnails
~My poor scraggly raggedy balcony~-img_0266.jpg  
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2009, 05:09 PM   #27

I guess I don't feel so bad then but I expected it to grow like crazy, bloom and be covered with birds and butterflies during its first year. I'm old. I don't have time to wait for the action!
Old 11-01-2009, 07:58 PM   #28
WG Facilitator

hahaha The vine thought you had plenty of time to wait. It knows how much you'll appreciate it when it's lush and beautiful

Last edited by biigblueyes; 11-02-2009 at 08:13 AM. Reason: typo
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 07:18 AM   #29
Rock Star

Sage,
I would get a larger pot for next year for your vine. Try to find a cheap fiberglass pot as big as you can. They are lightweight and frost resistant. There are plenty of sales now of remainders especially if you have one of those Floral/Decorative supply/Plant combination nurseries.
Are those long low pots terra cotta?

BTW, there is that old gardening saying about vines "first year they sleep, next year they creep, third year they leap", and sometimes we are very sorry about the leap when it is the wrong vine in the wrong place.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
balcony, poor, raggedy, scraggly