Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Small Space Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
Too Wild To Garden

Default Rooftop Gardening

I stumbled across this blog today:

The Rooftop Garden Source; resources for rooftop vegetable farming.

http://skyvegetables.wordpress.com/

Quote:
The Rooftop Garden Source was created by urban agriculture enthusiasts looking to provide the world with current events, links, academic articles and professional commentary on the growing rooftop vegetable farming industry.

We recently stumbled upon this sustainable and logical farming method which has been in practice for centuries. We have conducted research and learned that his could without a doubt be applied globally to help fight climate change and hunger amongst a handful of other pressing issues. The potential for rooftop vegetable farming is limitless.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 04:57 PM   #2
WG Facilitator

I'm intrigued, but we don't have rooftop gardens here. Two problems with roofs - they aren't constructed with snow-load in mind, and because of our tremendous rainfall, we dont' have flat roofs. Try gardening on a 9-on-twelve-pitch!
Old 08-31-2009, 07:34 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I don't know. Wouldn't it be kinda cool to have stairs up to your roof where you could hang out in your bathrobe picking weeds all night if you wanted? I liked some of those roof top designs that had full blown greenhouses on them.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:20 PM   #4
WG Guardian Spirit

Heh. I've been on my roof in the last week. Let me just say that, while the earth shelter house will have nothing but a garden for a roof, the trailer we'll be living in in the meantime is not a candidate! That thing has topography it never left the factory with, and it's not fair to say it has soft spots, since there are so very few firm spots! But it's now waterproof, so I'm happy with it!
JennyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:34 PM   #5
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
have stairs up to your roof where you could hang out in your bathrobe picking weeds all night if you wanted?
No, no no. hang out in your bathrobe picking tomatoes and native flowers all night, not weeds!
Old 09-01-2009, 08:24 PM   #6
Unicellular Fungi

There are so many innovative designs being introduced-
Green Roof top Concrete housing

It would be so nice if more of us could afford to have rooftop gardens.

Here is a site focusing on roof top gardens-
Les jardins sur les toits | de nouveaux espaces pour la communauté
Old 09-03-2009, 09:03 AM   #7
Too Wild To Garden

This is more in the realm of science fiction daydreaming than anything practical, but I like to see that architects are at least thinking about this sort of thing:

The Vertical Farm Project - Agriculture for the 21st Century and Beyond | www.verticalfarm.com

Quote:
The concept of indoor farming is not new, since hothouse production of tomatoes, a wide variety of herbs, and other produce has been in vogue for some time. What is new is the urgent need to scale up this technology to accommodate another 3 billion people. An entirely new approach to indoor farming must be invented, employing cutting edge technologies. The Vertical Farm must be efficient (cheap to construct and safe to operate). Vertical farms, many stories high, will be situated in the heart of the world's urban centers. If successfully implemented, they offer the promise of urban renewal, sustainable production of a safe and varied food supply (year-round crop production), and the eventual repair of ecosystems that have been sacrificed for horizontal farming.

It took humans 10,000 years to learn how to grow most of the crops we now take for granted. Along the way, we despoiled most of the land we worked, often turning verdant, natural ecozones into semi-arid deserts. Within that same time frame, we evolved into an urban species, in which 60% of the human population now lives vertically in cities. This means that, for the majority, we humans are protected against the elements, yet we subject our food-bearing plants to the rigors of the great outdoors and can do no more than hope for a good weather year. However, more often than not now, due to a rapidly changing climate regime, that is not what follows. Massive floods, protracted droughts, class 4-5 hurricanes, and severe monsoons take their toll each year, destroying millions of tons of valuable crops. Don't our harvestable plants deserve the same level of comfort and protection that we now enjoy? The time is at hand for us to learn how to safely grow our food inside environmentally controlled multistory buildings within urban centers. If we do not, then in just another 50 years, the next 3 billion people will surely go hungry, and the world will become a much more unpleasant place in which to live.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gardening, rooftop