Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Small Space Gardening

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 01:40 PM   #31
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Do the gazing balls have lips on them?
Some have a very pretty (clear) iridescent color upon them.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:13 PM   #32
Grub

dragonfly01 Globes

They're in the 'lighting' section, where all the fancy lights & bulb-covers are. There are at least 2 sizes - about 6" in diameter, used on indoor bulbs, & about 10"-diameter, used outside (on tops of posts - you've seen them..) For a hanging garden, you're going to use them with the open side up, obviously.. and to hang them, you need them to have a lip you can tie the hanger around, underneath it so your garden doesn't crash. I painted clear Dip-It around the outside of the 'waist' under the lip & it made it much easier to keep the tie material in place. I'm sure you could also glue a strip of rubber shelf cover in that area too.
Pahinh Winh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:53 PM   #33
Unicellular Fungi

Hi~ Here's a 'Window Farm' that incorporates recycled plastic bottles for a hydroponic concept hanging garden, mostly for urban dwellers, but do-able for those who just like the idea. Windowfarms
Nice for winter projects, eh?
Dandy
JustDandelions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:41 AM   #34
Official Plant Nerd

I've never seen that kind of set up before. That must be so cool for people living in apartments and condos who want to have "life" in their homes but don't have a yard or even a balcony. It does look cool for a winter project. You could probably use this set up to propagate plant cuttings too. Do you do this?
Old 06-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #35
WG Facilitator

I checked out window farms, and was very impressed. It's kind of a group project, one person put an idea out there, with downloadable instructions, and once you tried it you report back to them, and they have made several modifications (as a group) that make it quieter, more efficient, etc.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #36
Unicellular Fungi

It seems to be pretty new thinking, just stumbled across it recently. Nope, I haven't tried it yet, but find myself eyeballing the plastic bottles while shopping at local grocery.
Have been interested in hydroponics for a long time. Met my recently departed DH on a hydroponic experiment when we both worked at a toy company in 1962.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:53 PM   #37
Unicellular Fungi

Also....... it might be too cool close to cold wintery window to propagate cuttings, but worth a try, depending on the window! And the size of the bottle.

Tags
aquarium, aquatic, aquatic gardens, crafts, gardens, glass globes, glassware, grow, hanging, hanging gardens, hanging mini aquatic gardens, mini