Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2012, 03:52 AM   #1
Rock Star

Default Coconut oil

Anyone use coconut oil for cooking?
I just consulted an herbalist and she recommended using coconut oil
as a good fat to cook with.
I checked online and there are varying degrees of agreement with this.
Some sites say it is a fabulous oil to use and older studies that said it was a bad fat actually were testing a partially hydrogenated coconut oil.
Other sites say a small amount won't hurt you but keep it in check.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Heron

My spouse is from south India, where coconut is used in everything (as coconut trees are the native tree and grow everywhere!). Coconut milk, fresh coconut pieces, and coconut oil are used every day in their food. It is also used in women's hair, and it is used as a lotion. (I definitely advocate it's use as a skin-healing wonder! In winter my skin gets SO dry, coconut oil is marvelous in this way. )

I am familiar with the arguments for and against. I tend to think that it is a good oil to use. We mostly use olive oil in our house, but occasionally I will use coconut oil & the slight scent of it is heavenly. It is frustrating that there are so many fads. That makes it difficult to know the truth about any food substance. for example, what about Palm Oil? That used to be the wonder oil, now apparently it is very bad??? And also canola oil.

Anyway, I don't know, I'm not helping you much here. There are people in India who have used coconut oil, and only coconut oil, all their lives, and they live to be in their 100's (my husband's great-aunt was one example). But their are those in India with high-cholesterol, too, just as here. Who's to say? Hope someone else is able to offer more information for you! Sorry I am not much help!
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 04:41 AM   #3
Rock Star

Thanks BeeW for the response.
I use mainly olive oil now also and sesame oil.
will-o-wisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

If people use coconut oil for cooking in areas where coconuts are virtually free, I wouldn't assume it's the best for health purposes.

I've read that small amounts of sesame oil can be used mainly for taste purposes which made sense to me since I never see it in large containers. So I now use it in small amounts from the very small bottle it comes in. My only other oil olive. But only First Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil, EVOO. Redundant. I've read that any pressings after that are crap. Disregard the word "Pure" on a label. It is meaningless as a standard.

Palm oil is why movie theater popcorn is so much better tasting. When the negative health aspects of palm oil were revealed and sales of popcorn dropped precipitously , the movie theaters switched to other oils and made a lot of noise about it. People started buying the movie theater popcorn again, expecting it would taste the same as before. It did not! In fact, it was pretty awful! Movie goers stopped buying it. After the theaters realized how much their coffers were going down, they quietly started using palm oil again!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
coconut, coconut oil, cook, cooking, cooking fats, fat, fats, health, hydrogenated, oil