Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 09:49 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Dry mixes for food pantry storage

If anyone else out there is looking for dry mixes.... I found some good basic recipes for starters, Condensed Soup Mix Recipe - Allrecipes.com and Dry Soup Mixes-- Ellen's Kitchen and the motherload here, Bitsys Kitchen | Make Your Own Dry Mixes Recipes.
--
Now all I have to do is remember to save some so I can try them out.
Old 10-12-2011, 12:09 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I liked how I could change the serving size and the recipe alters to fit it in the first one!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 06:40 PM   #3
Salamander

Somewhere I have an older 'hippy'-type vegan cookbook with recipes for things like bean dip made from dried, ground beans.

I'll try to find it and post the title/author. . .
Teresa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #4

A dehydrated blend of onions, celery, carrots, and peppers is a great time saver for preparing soups.
Toss a chicken in a pot of water, add some bouillon, a handful of the dried veggies and simmer until the chicken falls off the bones.
You can also toss in a handful of the THIN noodles near its end if you'd like.

Old 10-13-2011, 01:07 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

I took a look at all the recipes from the Bitsy's Kitchen link. There were a few that looked good but quite a few that looked downright scary to me. They were the Friendship Soup and the Ground Beef. Anything with beef should be pressure canned not dried in an oven then stuffed in an airtight jar even if it's only for a few weeks IMO.
--
I like this dry creamed soup recipe because I'd really like to start ditching my Campbell's creamed soups that I use frequently, Homemade Cream-Style Soup Mix Recipe - Allrecipes.com . I don't like the msg or the high sodium in the Campbell's and I definitely don't like the BPA in the cans.
--
Chowhound has always been a really good site. I forgot about them when I was looking for dry mix recipes but they've got quite a few rammed into 1 thread by their members and I've tried and liked some of their copycat recipes before, Dry Mix recipes for your pantry - Home Cooking - Chowhound.
--
I definitely like the time savings for soups making up 12 quarts at a time but more so.... I've been looking for gift ideas for friends who are sorta in the phase of their lives where they're getting rid of "stuff" like me. What do you buy folk who are scaling back and unloading on a regular basis? They're as hard to buy for as I am.... there's not much we want except the basics which we pretty much pick up when we have to. Anywhooo, I found what I was looking for, Bean Soup In A Jar Recipe. It looks nice and a little note with instructions on how to prepare could be tied around the rim and a smaller jar of canned chicken or beef could be slipped in a gift bag along with the bean and seasonings mix. It's simple.... thoughtful.... and we all do have busy lives and need to eat so it won't go to waste.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:04 AM   #6

That's the one I copied too the cream style and the potato. The condensed looked good too but not much different than the cream.
Quote:
What do you buy folk who are scaling back and unloading on a regular basis?
Time to start a new thread?

Old 10-14-2011, 12:19 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Go for it. I've got 1 idea already and that's the bean soup in a jar. I like the concept and I'm gonna pick up some holiday napkins and lay them over the lid and see if I can screw on the rim so the design shows through on top. I could tie em off with a raffia ribbon with instructions attached. I'd still like some other ideas since we're all getting so hard to buy for.
Old 10-14-2011, 12:43 PM   #8

Just lay the lid on top of the napkin OR a nice piece of fabric and cut a circle from it the same size. The ring will keep it on!
Maybe later with the thread...I'm still hustling big time outdoors between the storms so only doing computer time when my bod needs the break or when I'm eating.

Tags
dry, edibles, food, food storage, foods, links, mix, mixes, mixes from scratch, pantry, pantry food, premade mixes, recipes, soup, storage