Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2010, 11:01 AM   #1
WG Writer

Default Sun dried tomatoes

http://www.sun-dried-tomatoes.com/

A whole web site for sun dried tomato recipes!

I use the plum Romano tomatoes. Wash and cut length wise. I have an Excalibur dehydrator with 9 trays so I can do a whole bushel of tomatoes in one day if I can get my hands on that many. I dry them over night (about 140 F) and they are ready to slide into zip locks and stash in the freezer in the morning.

If the dehydrator is not full, you can dry mushrooms the same way. Clean the mushrooms with a damp towel. Usually it is recommended not to soak them. Cut into about 3 rather thick slices. (I have an "egg slicer" that is great for slicing mushrooms. Arrange the slices in a single layer on the dehydrator trays. In the morning slide the slices from the trays into a zip-lock bag and store in the freezer.

It is a good idea to make space for a tray (small dishpan) in the freezer to hold all the dehydrator baggies so they don't get lost.

Excalibur dehydrators on sale:

http://www.harvestessentials.com/excalibur.html?gclid=CPnf14S4oKQCFS1l7Aod_mTR4g
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 09:17 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

For any of you mushroom hunters...Get the buckets!
The papinkas and shaggy manes are popping up all over!
Happy hunting-drying.

You could also dry mushrooms the old fashioned way if you haven't a dehydrator....
Thread a needle and string them up like strands of popcorn away from critters in a well ventilated room. A dry hot Attic works fine.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 08:03 AM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

There's this product I saw for keeping flies out of whatever you're trying to sun dry, Duer International Dehydrators : Food Dehydrators - Shop at Food Dehydrators. It's a non-electric food dehydrator. I thought the price was gag me but the idea was good so flies wouldn't get in and lay eggs in what you're trying to dry out. These could be made homemade with things laying around or even left over window screen with some tulle netting draped over the top.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:24 AM   #4
WG Writer

Ive used old curtains. The ones they call "sheers". You drape them over something like canning jars to hold them above the food. You could also use cheese cloth.

I love my Excalibur. Dehydration takes so long and is subject to mold and mildew of the food from high humidity, insects, or just getting bumped and turned over by dogs playing tag--or dogs who decide to sample the jerky before its made! The Excalibur is fast, simple, sterile, safe, and protects the food from insects (and dogs). Excessive humidity is not a problem. And the results are consistent.
I hope I never have to go back to the old fashioned way. I started out with a home made outdoor sun dehydrator. Moldy peaches --- no more!
Old 09-25-2010, 10:12 AM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

What do you think about this brand that's like half the cost of that excalibur, VegiKiln 6 Tray Dehydrator Free Spice Kit, Mesh Roll | Compare to Good4U STX | Free Shipping | Weston Supply Six Tray? Here's some comparisons Excalibur Vs Good4U Dehydrator - Raw and living foods support - tribe.net and Good4U Comparison. I can get a 6 tray Good4U for like $99 or I can get an Excaliber for like $225, Amazon.com: Excalibur 3900 Deluxe Food Dehydrator - 9 Tray - Black - Food Dryer Kitchen Appliance - Food Storage & More: Home & Garden. They look sorta the same to me but what do I know. I have to get a new dehydrator. The used one somebody gave me for free fried out when the cord got chewed last week I think it was.
Old 09-25-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
WG Writer

You might be able to get the cord replaced.

Every once in a while the Excaliburs go on sale. And for some gardening groups they have offered a special discount to the group. I can't speak for the Good4U since I have always had an Excalibur since I graduated from the home made sun operated dehydrater that did not work in the humid South. But when I bought mine they were not so expensive.

The main thing I recommend is to get one with enough capacity to cover whatever you plan to do with it. Mine was bushels of peaches so I got the 9 tray.

Tags
capacity, cost, dehydrate, dehydration, dried, dry, drying, excalibur, excalibur dehydrater, fruits, machine, methods, mushrooms, peaches, roma, sun, sun dried, sun dried tomatoes, tomatoes, vegetables