Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #21
Grub

Hazelnut good point on the Asian pears ..they are so good but full of water and I am not sure how they would cook down

I love eating them fresh but have tried a couple of cooked recipes and they loose everything they are good for ..the crisp ..fresh sweet juicy feel of them does not translate well to cooking imho

my Bartlett's are sort of ready..due to the deluge I am going ot have to pick them and let them ripen in the house because now they are falling of ..they are fully grown but we will miss that wonderful flavor of just before they are soft on the tree ..last year I got it! ..they are actually the pollen babies on my 5 way Asian pear tree

and speaking of that ..I think one of the smartest things I have ever done was get a 5 way dwarf Asian pear! OMG this tree is so adorable ..sits in a corner of the garden ..does not demand anything of me and produces just enough of each fruit in order of ripening so that my husband and I can enjoy each variety on its own! the Bartlett's ripen last ...I feel like we get plenty ..I can share some as well but not the massive piles of "what the heck am I going to do with all these before they rot" feeling!

I love my little tree!
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #22
WG Writer

My Mom used to graft fruit trees and roses so that there were more than one kind on the same bush. At the time I just thought it was a weird thing to do. I never thought it would be useful! Scheduling the ripening sequence on one tree sounds like a great idea for a small space.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 07:54 PM   #23
Grub

I have a 5 way plum and 5 way cherry as well ..they were solid last year but this year our spring really confused the bees!

I did get some fruits but not as perfectly as last summer when with all the berries I plant ..we had some of everything all summer..so did the birds!

..this year the Aisan pear did the best of anything...except my figs they were slow to start but ended up wonderful

my native Hazelnut did not produce at all this year that was hugly disapointing ..I think my douglas squirrels are kind of ****** (LOL I was censored and did not even say a bad word I don't think? !)

sorry off topic! but I like nuts in chutney!
Old 09-18-2010, 09:13 PM   #24
WG Writer

I wonder what happened to the hazelnut. Censored???

You are in Washington State--you must not have had the heat we had here.
hazelnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 10:00 PM   #25
Grub

we went from winter to fall this year
Old 10-08-2010, 02:32 PM   #26
WG Facilitator

Oh great maker of chutey. . .

I am embarrassed to say, but I have a large quantity of over-sized sweet potatoes. (I now know that you do NOT let them stay in the ground until frost) Do you think they would work for chutney? If so, any suggested recipes?
Old 11-01-2010, 08:42 AM   #27
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Oh great maker of chutey. . .

I am embarrassed to say, but I have a large quantity of over-sized sweet potatoes. (I now know that you do NOT let them stay in the ground until frost) Do you think they would work for chutney? If so, any suggested recipes?

I am so sorry BBEs I did not see this right away

I do not know the answer to this

I know that you can roast them and freeze them roasted!

it is probably too late!
Old 11-01-2010, 09:12 AM   #28
WG Facilitator

I still have plenty in my shed. Mostly the orange Beauregard, but also purple ones.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:51 PM   #29
Official Plant Nerd

Default Quince chutney recipe

Ok.... I got one. I had some left over quince from making quince marmalade and left em out on the counter for a few weeks thinking about what to do with them. They will ripen a little bit when left on a counter but not much. It’s better leaving them on the tree to ripen if you want that luscious yellow. Anywhooo… I figured I’d look for something different to try with the fruits I had left. Found this recipe online for quince chutney and went for it Quince And Lemon Chutney Recipe by British Foods | ifood.tv. Here’s the ingredients, “3 lb. quinces, peeled and cored, 1 large lemon, chopped, 1 teaspoon ground allspice, 1 teaspoon ground coriander, 4 cloves, 6 peppercorns, 2 in. cinnamon stick, 2 in. piece fresh root ginger, peeled, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 onion, chopped, 1 garlic clove, crushed, 8 oz. sultanas, 4 oz. stem ginger”. You can see the site for the directions. I didn’t know what sultanas were so I left those out. I didn’t have any cheesecloth so I used a sock…. it was clean. Shock!!! This ended up being another sleeper recipe. I used it on grilled lamb chops and…. they asked me to make lamb chops again exactly the way I made em with the chutney. The avoidable mistake I made was that I should have looked up what sultanas were before I started cooking because I found out they were white seedless raisins. I could have tossed raisins or prunes that I had on hand for this recipe as a substitute and I think it would’ve even been better.
Old 11-07-2010, 12:16 PM   #30
WG Facilitator

What kind of taste/texture to Quince have?

Tags
chutney, chutneys, condiment, condiments, edibles, food, green tomato, green tomato chutney, mint, mint leaves, onion, recipe, recipes, sauce, thread