Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 07:09 PM   #1
Grub

Default another bonus crop squash blossoms

Ok really ..very expensive restaurants pay BIG bucks for these things and I literally have them coming out of my ears right now... great big boy pumpkin and other squash blossoms ..
if you have never eaten your squash blossoms just check on line for endless recipes
I love them stuffed with cream cheese and roasted green chile..then folded into an omelet
I put them in chicken soup ..mince them into pilaf
but the ultimate decadence in eating squash blossoms is to stuff them with a filling of your choice ..tooth pick the top ..dip them in flour ..an egg wash and then panko crumbs...then fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy
I love to make a shrimp or seafood paste and fill them with that ...
12 blossoms
1 cup minced shrimp or scallops or combo of both
3 oz of cream cheese
minced green herbs of choice
egg
salt and pepper mixed with lemon rind to taste
1 tble bread crumbs
mix well and stuff
or a cheese filling like this

12 squash blossoms
1 oz fresh goat cheese
1/2 cup grated sharp cheddar
1 tble parmesan cheese
1 tble dried bread crumbs
1 tble minced chives, 1 tble minced flat leaf parsley 1/2 tsp mint or shiso leaf
1/2 tsp of ground dried hot red chile

egg wash and panko crumbs

mix together flilling ..stuff a spoon full in each flower then tooth pick it closed (if you find a better way to do this let me know ..

dip in flour ..eggwash then panko

deep fry in hot oil until golden brown and crispy

these should be made and eaten right away ..be careful the filling is hot!

so good with a cold lager
Heidi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Very interesting! What is panko?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

May as well try a few breaded and fried in butter..too late for any more to develop and mature into much of anything..
What about pumpkin, zucchini, Mellon, cucumber, blossoms ???

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 09:56 AM   #4
Grub

all cucurbit blossoms are wonderful to eat
Panko sage is a Japanese breadcrumb coating that makes everything nice and crispy when fried

if you do a search you can see what I mean
Old 08-16-2010, 10:09 AM   #5

Oooo I can eat them all then...

Old 08-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
Grub

well the boy flowers I am not sure the girl flowers should be eaten because the girls are the fruiting ones..just run the boy by the little girl first before picking the boys to make sure some pollen gets onto the little girls because you know that is how mother nature works
I have not eaten cucumber flower but I am sure they are all the same ..the squash and pumpkins are such big flowers they make for good stuffing ..but the smaller ones like the tiny zukes or cucumbers could be tossed in soups or stir fry ..food is food and any bonus crop is worth the attention in my opinion!

do a search on "squash blossom recipes" or any kind of cucurbit blossom you have I bet you will find many recipes to try!

they are such beautiful flowers you can not help but enjoy them to look at and to eat!

stuffing and frying however fattening it is ...for sure the way to go and the price if you can find them (they are just so fragile) is out of this world expensive ..somtimes I see three in a pack in an Asian market or Mexican Market ..very carefully packed an how they weigh them is beyond me...I will pick them and then just dip them in water to get the bugs off ..gentle shake and then put in a plastic bag with a paper towel until I can get to them ..they have lasted about 3 days max like this but if I do not have a huge flush and want to make a batch this is a good way to hang on to them
Old 08-16-2010, 07:22 PM   #7

My pumpkin vine is loaded with blossoms.... I don't have to worry about loosing pollination... The growing season is just about done here....
Leaves are turning colors already in some areas!

Old 08-18-2010, 06:57 PM   #8
Grub

Oh Havalotta pick some stuff them with a cheesy filling and enjoy them they are so delicate and good!!!

I am going to do a batch tomorrow with my grandson if I can I will post a picture they are really cute on a plate ..I have to go get panko though I can not get any other coating to work as well ..

now my friend uses a beer batter that is to die for light and crispy but she always leaves something vital out of her recipes so I can not make it like hers! so if you have a good tempura or fish batter recipe that is light ..try it ..I imagine you could even do a cornmeal one

do not let those flowers fade with out one yummy meal!
Old 08-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #9

I will have to give it a try.... I bet the chicken Alfredo I'm stuffing my face with right now would be good in them.
I can't quit eating the stuff... It's oooooo un cholesteroly.....

Old 08-21-2010, 05:22 PM   #10
Official Plant Nerd

You are really something else!!!! I've never heard of eating squash blossoms before and I'm loaded with them too. If I've eaten them before.... I was none the wiser. I did what you told us to do and I did a search and I found some that I'll spend time saving. You rock Heidi!!! Do you have any photos of the squash blossoms after your done preparing them or could you take some photos the next time you make them??? Here's some of the recipes I found that have to be tried; Beer Battered, Squash blossom recipes, Squash blossom frittata, The Day - Squash blossom recipes | News from southeastern Connecticut, Stuffed Squash Blossom Bruschetta, Stuffed Squash Blossom Bruschetta Recipe - MyRecipes.com, Pan Fried Stuffed Squash Blossoms recipe, RECIPE: Stuffed Squash Blossoms | GardenWise, Squash blossom quesadillas, A hat, a skirt and some squash blossoms | Homesick Texan, and one simple step by step Thai how to, Crunchy Squash Blossoms Recipe -- ThaiTable.com.

Tags
blossom, blossoms, bonus, crackers, creamy, crop, crunchy, eat, edible, egg, flavor, food, fried, fry, how to, milk, panko, photos, pumpkin, pumpkin blossom, recipe, saltines, squash, sqush blossom, stuffed