Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Saltines are easy enough to make from scratch and they turn out like.... drum roll please.... Saltine Crackers.
I'd like to try that. Was the recipe ever posted here?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:40 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

Dappy> did you find the eggshell thread? She just 1 upped us though with this, Indoor Bokashi (Beerkashi) Composting for the Urban Gardener. You have got to check that out since you're starting to grow more of your own veggies!!!
--
sounds> "So now we got crackers, who's bringing cheese (rennet just in for my first mozzarella soon)? Pasta with what sauce for entree? My romaine and spinach won't be ready for weeks." Ha ha ha.... were you reading my mind>>>? I signed up for a class on making soft cheese and had to miss it.... doctors appointments. I'm signed up again for July so here's hoping nothing stands in the way of me going because I've been trying to get into a class for over a year and they fill up so fast. Here's the class description, "This introduction will offer an opportunity to explore this lost art. We will create and sample several simple cheeses that can be cultivated at home. We will make cultured butter, feta cheese, mozzarella and several varieties of soft cheese. After learning to make kefir, we will transform this fermented milk beverage into soft spreadable cheese and a soft condiment that can be used in place of sour cream. You’ll also learn some cooking ideas for whey, a byproduct of cheese making. Students can build on this introduction to create many varieties of cheese at home. Includes: samples, cheese to take home, recipes and a cheese culture to get you started. Includes lunch $85 per person." Way cool, eh? I found out we'll be making feta and ricotta that day too. I'm so excited I can hardly contain myself. Say.... you should do another article on your mozzarella making adventure!!! I LOVED your beerkashi article!!! Oh oh oh.... you asked about sauce for pasta.... ask and ye shall receive, Cooking & Canning Homemade Spaghetti Sauce.
--
I did some checking on Triscuits. I think we're screwed on a recipe for those crackers, TLC Cooking "How Triscuits Work". Nabisco holds the patent on the machine that shreds the wheat then weaves it and cuts it.
--
hava> Uh uh.... I went online and grabbed a few then started experimenting. I wanted a saltine cracker that tasted like a saltine cracker since we crush em up and add em to chili and we eat them with chicken soup. Gimmie a minute and I'll add my notes.

adding.... the recipe you want is the 3rd 1 down 'TRADITIONAL SODA CRACKERS'. Use the tines of a fork to prick the crackers. Not only do they taste like saltines.... they look like them when they come out of the oven. Double the recipe and store what you don't use in a tin.
Attached Files
File Type: docx SALTINE CRACKERS.docx (44.8 KB, 5 views)

Last edited by Equilibrium; 04-22-2013 at 09:45 PM. Reason: adding notes
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:44 AM   #13
Grub

!!!

I'm familiar with the tomato sauce thread and drooled over it last year. Hope to put some up this summer. Think that will get more rotational use than other things I've canned.

Cheese making. Of course! Please report back. So unhappy with how stuff from the general store tastes and how expensive the stuff from the better stores is... And even then don't trust their ingredients. Pshaw! Thank goodness there's a home brew beer/wine supply store in the 'hood that also carries cheese cultures. Can't wait.
Old 04-23-2013, 07:51 AM   #14
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Thanks Equill
Does the teaspoon of salt go "into" the recipe then more is sprinkled on top or is the teaspoon of salt what you use to sprinkle on top?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
Official Plant Nerd

Dappy> look back at post #12 here.... I think you missed it because of the way you say you view threads.
--
hava> it goes in with the other ingredients. If you want salt on top.... you'd have to sprinkle more on.
--
sounds> I forget exactly when I'm scheduled to take that class in July.... too much going on.... I'm totally excited though. I'll for sure report back. Are there any classes out your way you could take... maybe at an extension office?
Old 03-01-2014, 03:52 PM   #16
Heron

fire Homemade Crackers

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundsgood View Post
Been away a while between winter and work, and spend the morning catching up with y'all over coffee now things are getting in the ground.

Delighted to learn of your progress in the last six months.

Pasta! Yeah! Started doing that last year for the first time and by golly, a huge change for the better.

Pasta was the gateway food to making my own crackers.

Just recently started grinding flour and experimenting with that. Most recent result: buckwheat crackers. OMG.

These are the first recipes I've been making modifications to:

Rosemary Crackers for LindaMc - Home Cooking - Chowhound

Rustic Water Crackers Recipe at Epicurious.com

Rather than using cookie or baking sheets, I use parchment on top of a stone.
Just like pizza you can add herbs to crackers; Basil and flax seed crackers sound healthy

I really like the idea of buckwheat noodles or crackers; I've grown buckwheat before and can't see it be produced on a Agri-Factory scale
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 06:36 AM   #17
Grub

Since you've revived this thread, Spruce (thanks!), thought I'd update the cracker portion of our pasta exploration with the thought of adding sourdough crackers into the feed-the-sourdough rotation. Pancakes and crepes are fabulous, glad to extend the taste to the savory light snacks I often prefer for lunch.

Best Sourdough Pancakes Recipe, How To Make Sourdough Pancakes, Pancake Recipes, Sourdough Recipes

Blueberry Walnut Oatmeal Pancakes with Vanilla Maple Glaze

Sourdough Crepes
makes about eight to ten crepes

2 cups sourdough starter
4 eggs
4 Tablespoons melted butter
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 - 1/2 cup of milk
extra butter for cooking****

Whisk all ingredients in a bowl.**** Add milk until it reaches a very smooth, thin batter consistency, I normally use about 1/3 cup of milk but depending on the consistency of your starter, you might use a bit less or a bit more.

In a not too big, but not too small frying pan (about 8" - 10" is perfect) heat the frying pan over medium high heat. Once hot, add a teaspoon or so of butter, allow it to melt quickly and then immediately pour in 1/3 cup of crepe batter, tilting the pan with a circular motion to allow the batter to coat the**** bottom of the pan and create a circle of crepe.

Tags
cracker, crackers, flour, food, homemade, how to, ingredients, make, minutes, noodles, pasta, recipe, saltines, scratch, seminola, seminola flour, video