Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Fox

fire Outdoor Cooking With a Dutch Oven

It's probably much too early for most of us to be cooking outdoors, but thoughts of spring and summer are on my mind.

This seems like it would be a nice change from the conventional barbeque:
Quote:
While spending time at the Shack, the Leopold family cooked all of their meals in Dutch ovens over the coals of the fire. Making food together this way is a fun and easy way to create community connections! Our resident Dutch oven cooking expert is Luann Waters, Oklahoma state faciliatator for the Leopold Education Project. Luann runs workshops on how to cook with a Dutch oven, and she was kind enough to share her recipe handout here for all to use. (Hint: it's much easier than you think!). Click here to download the recipes. (Adobe PDF)
The Aldo Leopold Foundation

The instructions and recipes:
http://www.aldoleopold.org/AldoLeopold/DOrecipes.pdf
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 02:30 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Thanks. I printed off a couple pages to try.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:57 PM   #3
WG Staff

Default Dutch Oven Cooking

Dutch Oven Cooking
Floyd Crandall

Dutch Oven Cooking
excerpt from above:
Quote:
How to control the heat. I think the first thing a person should learn about Dutch oven cooking is how to control the heat. Most of the cooking is done on the top of oven. As a general rule, you should have twice as much heat on the top of the oven as you do on the bottom. That is easy if you are using charcoal. You can simply count them. If you are using coals from a fire, it depends on what kind of wood you are using and hard woods seem to work the best. You just have try some and see what works the best. Any wood will work ,but you will find that some is surely better. I use only Kingsford charcoal because it is always the same. When I cook in the mountains of Idaho I use either...
Old 02-21-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
WG Staff

Default Dutch Oven Cooking Tips & Techniques

Dutch Oven Cooking Tips & Techniques
Byron's Dutch Oven Cooking Tips & Techniques

Byron's Dutch Oven Cooking Tips & Techniques
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Regulating cooking temperature is by far the hardest thing to master when learning to cook in a Dutch oven. Hopefully the few tips I have to offer will help you out.

First and foremost, always use high quality briquettes. I recommend using Kingsford charcoal. Kingsford is packed tighter than most other brands so it won't pop and spit, and it tends to burn longer than other brands. Avoid using "Match Light" charcoal as it burns hot so it doesn't last as long. Kingsford charcoal will generate good heat for about an hours time. For recipes that take more than an hour to cook, after an hour remove the remaining briquettes and ash from the oven and replenish them with new briquettes. Note: because the Dutch oven is already hot, you will not need as many briquettes as when you started cooking. I usually remove 2-3 briquettes from the top and bottom the first time I replenish them.

The general rule of thumb to produce about a 350 heat is to take the size of the Dutch oven in inches, double the number, and use that many total briquettes. So, for a 12" oven you would use 24 briquettes, for a 14" oven you would use 28 briquettes, etc.. Remember this is just a rule of thumb and does not work for all makes of ovens! This rule for instance does not work when...
Old 02-21-2013, 05:59 PM   #5
WG Staff

Default Cooking Temperatures

Cooking Temperatures
Dutch Oven Dude

Camp Cooking outdoors
excerpt from above:
Quote:
Use your hand to feel the heat. Of course, every person has a different sensitivity to heat but this works well for me. Just remove the lid from the dutch oven and place your hand just above or just inside the oven. Count how many seconds you can keep your hand there before it gets too hot. It is about 50 degrees per second counting down from 550, so I just count - "550, and 500, and 450, and 400, and 350, and 300,...

Tags
camping, cook, cooking, dutch, dutch oven, dutch oven recipes, outdoor, outdoor cooking, oven, recipes, techniques, tips