Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2012, 03:18 PM   #1
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

book5 Gumbo recipes

Chicken gumbo

Put a whole package of cut up chicken in a deep kettle along with sliced onions, green pepper, celery and garlic and cook until browned.
Add water to cover all and set burner to a simmer.

Meanwhile, in another sauce pan..... put a good dose of water along with a huge wallop of roux, stir and heat to boiling.
Once hot and bubbling add it to the kettle of chicken goods.
Add quite a bit of file powder and some creole-cajun seasoning to taste along with salt and pepper.

Cook until all is tender and serve over steamed rice.

Biigblueyes served us up a very, VERY tasty gumbo while we were visiting with one another.
Have I missed anything in the recall? I'm eager to give it a try tomorrow.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
WG Facilitator

Green onions. If you have them, be sure to use green onions.

Don't cook the file'! Add a little sprinkle to your bowl.

I hope it's wonderful! Cold weather is Gumbo Weather - go for it!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:43 AM   #3

Ok No file in the cooking pot, just into the bowl!
Green onions as in Chives? instead of the regular onions or in addition to?

What precisely was the name or kind of spices you were sprinkling in so freely in the large container? You said it seems like a lot to put in but it really does take that much. Do you think the spices I bought at the pioneer village where we ate the buffet suffice as a substitute? It had a little zip to it as far as hotness goes.

Old 11-04-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Where's the okra? It just doesn't seem like gumbo to me unless there's okra in it. I also use chopped tomatoes and sometimes lima beans, corn and pimentoes if I have them on hand.

I haven't made gumbo in a while, you've all inspired me to make some today, I bought a chicken yesterday to roast but I think gumbo sounds great on a cold fall day. The last time I made it we had some masons working on our house and I served it to them, they raved and asked for more! I love making people happy with food.

I thought file was a no-no, a carcinogenic. The roux should thicken up the stew in good shape, and okra certainly adds some body. Or you can use some quick cooking tapioca powder if you really like it thick. I add about a quarter cup of rice to the veggies as they are cooking which also acts as a thickener.

As to spices, I generally don't add them to the gumbo but pass them at the table for those that like extra zing. In order of mildest to hottest I've used Bootsie's Louisiana spice, Paul Prudhomme's Magic spice mix, and Bear Claw spice mix. Actually most of them are mainly paprika and salt, a LOT of salt, if you want to avoid all the preservatives and salt those add just use your own paprika, red pepper flakes or sauce or whatever spices you like.

Ooh, I'm getting hungry just thinking about it!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #5

I do recall recipes having the okra in them but I'll pass on that as I've never got accustomed to eating it. It's slipperiness is what I don't care for too much. I'll pass on the papinki mushrooms as well if they are fixed too slick-simmered. I prefer them very well done-fried. Don't like slurping raw eggs with beer neither Guess I just wasn't raised getting used to such things.

I'd like the tomato in it too but my hubbyies side of the family never used them in cooking so HE wouldn't be used to or liking those in it.
However....He'd gobble a whole bowl of them up fresh in a flash if I were to set one before him!

Quote:
I thought file was a no-no, a carcinogenic.
Oh is it? Why's that? The drying process? If it is I'll pass on it. Seems you must add a LOT of it to get any flavor benefit from it unless freshly ground. Really doesn't taste like much of anything. Kinda basil-thyme like or one of the Italian spices I'd say. Maybe I could add a little of one of those instead? Oooo Paprica would be a good addition maybe that's what Biig was adding from that big spice jar. I'll go set it out as a reminder to add.

I usually thicken things with flour but it does lightens things making them appear less rich (Hello kitchen bouquet!) My husbands side, with cornstarch. I try doing the cornstarch route to pleas him but I just can't seem to get it right. By the time it starts to thicken its way too much and I'm adding mmmore broth or water to it to thin it out, Another.... just being used to creating with what you were raised with.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:12 PM   #6
WG Fundraising Coordinator

From what I understand file is a thickener and may add some woodsy flavor. It comes from the dried young leaves of the Sassafras tree pounded into a powder. Safrol is the carcinogen that occurs mainly in the bark and roots of the tree. I think file is probably safe if used occasionally.

I get you on okra, it is an acquired taste. Some people never get over the sliminess, but in soup the sliminess disappears and just adds to thicken. We ate fried okra as kids, my dad was from Alabama. I loved it, but hey, anything fried tastes good!

As far as getting the thickness right, don't use okra and file in the same dish. You'll end up with cement. A bit of rice helps along with the roux you mentioned. I add a couple of tablespoons of flour to the onion, celery, pepper saute, then add the rice and stir for 5 minutes, then add half the chicken broth a cup at a time. Lastly I throw in the rest of the veggies while the chicken is cooking in the stock pot. Chop up the chicken, add the rest of the broth and enjoy!
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #7

Oh I will...
I just packed up the ingredients into the car. I decided to go to camp for a few days before the weather turns for the worse and will make it while there. Hubby will just have to wait to try it upon my return. Thanks...so much for your input

Old 11-05-2012, 12:01 PM   #8
WG Facilitator

You can make okra gumbo, just be sure to cook it enough to remove the "slime" before you put it in the pot. You can pan-fry it or bake it for hours at a lower heat, turning every hour or so. Although I like okra gumbo, I've never made it. Hubby only likes okra one way -left on the plant!

File is ground sassafrass leaves - you only add a touch of that -I probably sprinked that into the jar lid first to make sure I didn't add too much. I added cajun seasoning freely - sprinkled it in the pot. And about half a jar of the roux, but I don't think I used the powdered roux for you - I'm sure I used the real stuff.

White onions and green onions - chives will work if that's the taste you're used to. Other than cajun seasoning, I use onions, green onions and parsley - nothing else. Hubby has "rules". (If you're gonna call it a gumbo, don't put other stuff in it except gumbo stuff - same for etoufee, fricassee, etc.) I have eaten gumbo with bell peppers, garlic, celery, etc in it, and they are fine. I don't know what to think about limas in a gumbo, though.
Old 11-05-2012, 03:31 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

I got hava to try fried okra on our way down south!!! Excuse me while I reach my arm over waaaay over my shoulder so I can to pat myself on the back!!! Too funny. She wasn't gonna try it but... I convinced her and "Mikey" said she liked it!!!
--
Here’s a gumbo recipe I use with left over turkey frozen from Thanksgiving dinner... beware.... it's got.... da da... da da... da da da da da (sorry attempt at Jaws music) okra in it-
12 qts chicken broth
2 C flour
2 C olive oil
3 lbs turkey
2 lbs turkey or chicken sausage
4 lbs okra
5 medium onions
5 bell peppers
10 celery stalks
5 cloves garlic…. we like more than 5 cloves
½ C parsley flakes or 1 C fresh parsley
½ C chives
Lots of black and cayenne pepper
Hot chili pepper sauce
--
Cut your turkey then cut your sausage. Chop all your veggies and mince your garlic. Toss everything in the broth and simmer for a few hours. Add more pepper and hot chili pepper sauce to taste before serving.
--
Same thing happens in gumbo that linrose said happens in soup, "in soup the sliminess disappears and just adds to thicken".
--
We really like this recipe and I always freeze up what's left over.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #10
WG Facilitator

Did you really get her to try the okra? Your gumbo recipe sounds like it has loads of flavor.

Question- do you toss the flour in as is, or do you make the roux with the oil first?

Tags
gumbo, recipes