Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-05-2012, 04:15 PM   #11
Official Plant Nerd

Uh huh.... I really did get her to try okra. The food at gas stations down south is edible.... it's all fried but.... it's still edible. Gas station food isn't edible up here. We honestly went in to use their microwave after buying gas and taking care of chickens but... either their microwave was broken or it was stolen... I can't remember. That left buying the fried foods or going hungry. I'm really glad I was so hungry I started sampling a little bit of every thing they had. I think the fried poppers were my favorite with the fried okra coming in a close 2nd.
--
Oopsie.... I shoulda added that I mix the flour into the heated olive oil and then I take out about a C of the broth and mix that in before dumping it back in the pot.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:55 AM   #12
WG Fundraising Coordinator

I went way decadent and used bacon fat instead of olive oil to brown my whole chicken before simmering it, then used it again to saute the onions, celery and peppers before adding 4 tbsps of flour and then the broth a cup at a time. It adds tons of flavor but also fat, so after considering if I should eat it, I decided to let DH devour it all himself! I'm freezing what's left for another day.

If you live in the south, fried everything is inevitable, but you can still eat healthy with a few changes to the recipes. I admit I love fried okra but steamed okra is just as good, in fact I had a bowl of it for lunch yesterday. I've given up on fried foods altogether.

Equil, I'm glad you liked fried okra on your trip down south, have you tried fried green tomatoes? Wow, they are excellent. I love the movie too! I haven't had them in years, now I just slice the tomatoes with mozzarella, basil, and a touch of vinegar for a quick salad. Did you get to try chicken-fried steak? That's the worst possible thing I could imagine. I first saw in on menus when we moved to Indiana. Never tried it and only ate "barbeque" once. Nasty pulled pork with gloppy barbeque sauce on a white hamburger bun. Anyway, breaded and deep-fried stuff is popular, on every diner's menu here.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 11:05 AM   #13
WG Facilitator

Chicken fried steak is one of my favorite foods - but I order the gravy on the side, not on top. Dont' want the Crunchy to turn to Soggy.

Linrose, put the fat in for flavor, then skim it off. With a spoon if there's a lot, lay a paper towel on top & lift it right off if there's a little.
Old 11-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #14
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
I added cajun seasoning freely - sprinkled it in the pot. And about half a jar of the roux - I'm sure I used the real stuff.

Other than cajun seasoning, I use onions, green onions and parsley - nothing else. I have eaten gumbo with bell peppers, garlic, celery, etc in it, and they are fine.
So it WAS a Cajun seasoning that you were sprinkling in real freely from your upper cabinet to the right of the sink..... I used the stuff I had bought at the pioneer village but stopped once the salt content was enough and aprox. 1/3 of the jar of prepped roux, (and yes You had used the same) Boy does that take a while to blend smooth! I squished and smashed it along the side of the kettle a long, long time. I added it when the water was at boiling as it suggested....maybe adding it to cool water would have been easier.

All you used was onions, parsley and the chicken! Here I was thinking you also had added peppers and celery and STILL thought needed more flavor. Maybe a half of jar of the roux instead of a third would have given me the flavor it seemed to be lacking. Had I another Cajun blend without so much salt as a base I would have added MORE so instead....I ended up adding the suggested paprika.

I had also read some recipes call for smoked sausage so I added aprox 1/3 of a package of VERY WELL fried bits of bacon.
That, and a small HOT pepper got the flavor up to par pretty darn good! ~I liked it~ Not too bad for a first run.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I got hava to try fried okra on our way down south!!! Excuse me while I reach my arm over waaaay over my shoulder so I can to pat myself on the back!!! Too funny. She wasn't gonna try it but... I convinced her and "Mikey" said she liked it!!![
You rat fink ...
Quote:
Uh huh.... I really did get her to try okra.
Nark
Quote:
Linrose: I went way decadent and used bacon fat instead of olive oil to brown my whole chicken before simmering it. I slice the tomatoes with mozzarella, basil, and a touch of vinegar for a quick salad.
I drizzled in about two tablespoons of the bacon grease into it myself. I think it added quite a bit of flavor to it. Just the way I like tomatoes....There's so much flavor in using fresh ingredients! I have a few more ripening then .................store bought.

Old 11-08-2012, 03:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Chicken fried steak is one of my favorite foods.

Linrose, put the fat in for flavor, then skim it off. With a spoon if there's a lot, lay a paper towel on top & lift it right off if there's a little.

Chicken-fried steak....And that is???? How would you describe it?

I often make soups or stew a day ahead of serving. After it's cooled, you can pick the solidified fat from its surface, then heat.

Old 11-08-2012, 04:19 PM   #17
WG Facilitator

I think it was the roux that you had trouble blending in? I dunno - sometimes it takes a bit of effort, and other times it's easy. Sometimes I flake off the roux with a fork so it's in smaller pieces, instead of scooping out half the jar in one lump, figuring it has to dissolve quicker that way.

Mom doesn't use cajun seasoning because Dad doesn't like the garlic in it. She still uses the old fashioned red pepper (cayenne), salt and black pepper.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #18
WG Facilitator

Chicken fried steak - tenderized thin pieces of beef battered and fried. Just like you would fry chicken. I think it's hilarious that some restaurants sell Chicken Fried Chicken. ummmm, wouldn't that be Fried Chicken?
Old 11-08-2012, 06:28 PM   #19

That last line got me to chuckling.
Maybe the lighter version of the roux having less oil? made it sort of tough for blending. I'll give the powdered roux a try the next time around. Hubbie's getting his first taste of the gumbp tonight when he arrives home. Hope he likes it.

Old 11-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #20
WG Facilitator

If you're using the powdered roux, mix it with the veggies. If you saute onions first, stir it into the sauteed onions before you add the water. That way you don't have all the little round balls of flour to chase around the pot.

Tags
gumbo, recipes