Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Default What do you do with mustard green?

DH came back from the Farmer's Market with oriental mustard greens. I have no idea what to do with them except saute them. Mustard greens can be quite pungent, what goes well with them? I'm sure they are full of vitamins etc, I don't want to put them in the compost in a couple of days when they go limp.

Any suggestions?
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Sorry, Never heard of them...Not much help I am!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 01:14 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I've blanched and dehydrated some so I could add em to soups this winter. If you've got a pressure canner.... here's a good how to on putting em up, How to can your own homemade canned greens, like spinach, kale, Swiss chard, collard greens or turnip greens (complete directions with photos ). I love that site.... I've learned a lot from their how-tos because of all their photos. Pretty much anything you can make with turnip, collard, or kale greens you can substitute in mustard greens. Here's a recipe I've been eyeballing for a while, Perfect Southern Greens Kale, Beet, Collard Greens, Mustard) Recipe - Soul.Food.com - 163356. Cubed smoked turkey can be substitued for the ham. I'm thinking this recipe could even be pressure canned or maybe there's 1 real similar to it online that can be.

adding.... you can blanche and freeze em if you can't figure out what to do with em and don't want em going to waste.

Last edited by Equilibrium; 09-23-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: forgot something
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
WG Facilitator

I'm not sure how pungent oriental mustard compared to others. I had mizuna streaks mustard and put it in a soup - kind of like a free-style italian wedding soup. I found that the strong smell and taste went out of it after a little cooking - 20-30 minutes, I'd say.

Freestyle Italian Wedding Soup

Brown ground beef, or use leftover meat (crumbled hamburger patties work)

Add chopped onions, chopped mustard and other veggies you use (bell pepper, garlic, etc.) to broth. Season to your taste. Add small pasta and let it cook in the soup. Enjoy.
Old 09-24-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Awesome recipes guys, thank you! I was thinking soup also, I made chicken soup yesterday from the remnants of a roast chicken I made earlier in the week as my tummy wasn't feeling right. I should have put them in. Actually I have a lot of broth left, I'll just toss them in and see how it tastes. All I had in for veggies were onions, garlic, parsley and dill. I do have a cookbook of only soups but the author is French and some of those recipes are just too complex. Her mustard green recipe called for pork and bacon. While I have a southern heritage, my dad was from Alabama, I don't eat pork. He used to like to cook with ham hocks, chitlins, fatback, all that stuff. My cholesterol levels won't take that. I like the idea of smoked turkey equil, good substitute.
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I don't do anything with them...smile...but, I stumbled across a blog today that had a recipe or two that intrigued me. After scrolling through from page to page, I came across a recipe with mustard greens which made me think of this thread, so I thought I'd post it here. Artsy-Foodie: Mustard Greens and Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
green, mustard