Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2012, 10:54 AM   #21
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by linrose View Post
. Our cholesterol levels have plummeted, my blood pressure is under control and I've dropped 40 lbs since starting this diet.
Congratulations - that's great.
Old 07-21-2012, 01:02 PM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Sure do, but I've never heard of her...Now if you would have said Julia Child. Her, I remember.
Then there's the young blond kid, Jamie Oliver, Paula Deen, Anthony Bourdain, and the crab KING....Gordon Ramsay, always shouting at the cooks, making miserable wreaks of them in the heat of things in Hells Kitchen! Ooooooh.....Emeril Live! and Guy Fieri!
Maybe I watch too many cooking shows! I recognize most everyone you've mentioned except Anthony Bourdain. I tried an image search of his name as well as Gordon Ramsay...I recognized the latter's image, but not his name--no recognition of Gordon Ramsay.

Quote:

I really love the various cooking challenges where they are expected to create a three course meal out of what's given to them.
Especially interesting is when they are given a surprise ingredient JUST before serving time and expected to incorporate it into something.
Those I really enjoy!!!!.
I've watched that a few times. That is one of the few reality shows I can sit through.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 04:41 PM   #23
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

About the ONLY reality show I'll sit through. It comes on real late here so I watch it before nodding off. No truckers, swampers, loggers, Ice warriors, storage wars, Kardashians, Osborns, house beautifuls, for me.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:28 PM   #24

Quote:
About the ONLY reality show I'll sit through. It comes on real late here so I watch it before nodding off. No truckers, swampers, loggers, Ice warriors, storage wars, Kardashians, Osborns, house beautifuls, for me.
How about Hoarders?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 07-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #25

Hey.... There's no winkie behind THAT smile. Are we insinuating?
Ok, I have to admit I'd probably be the one to win the car on lets make a deal by having whatever item they are looking for ...

The people in that show (And I've watched a few) are Sooooo caught up in their addictions..... living in self induced horrid conditions. YUCKKKKKK Enough to gag a maggot!

Old 07-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #26

Quote:
Hey.... There's no winkie behind THAT smile.
I've never seen a smiley icon with a winkie--this is a family-friendly site you know. (for the most part)

Quote:
Are we insinuating?
I wasn't insinuating anything, I swear. (Are you perhaps just a bit sensitive when it comes to this topic?

Quote:

The people in that show (And I've watched a few) are Sooooo caught up in their addictions..... living in self induced horrid conditions. YUCKKKKKK Enough to gag a maggot!
I've only watched it a few times.

We are far from hoarders, but we really do have to get rid of some clutter that really serves no purpose. (I can sense Hedgerowe shuddering at the thought of clutter.)
Old 07-26-2012, 09:01 AM   #27

I know your joshing...but I tend to think everyone here knows I have lots and I'm notta meaning Real Estate.

Back to kohlrabi.....I'm going to go out and pick some of the ones that seem slow to develop the above ground tubers? (Is that what you call them?) and fry the leaves up to get a taste. Either they're still too crowded and need more thinning or I've too fertile a bed yet to induce them although I've been getting enough rolly pollies to keep me happy eating them raw.

Last year, The radish crop failed to produce bulb-lets? in a freshly made bed for the same reason. The high nitrogen content tends to produce LOTS of plant growth until things balance off.....usually within a year or two going natural.

Old 07-27-2012, 04:52 PM   #28
Official Plant Nerd

I didn't know what EVOO was either!!!
--
jack> Right now none of the chickens are allowed out in the yard. I've got some younguns that need to know where they belong before I could let em out during the day. They're all in a run that's about 50' by almost 100'. You can for sure come hang with our goils though.... they love company.... especially if the company comes bearing gifts like.... scrambled eggs or mashed avocados!!! They really like earwigs and squash bugs. Those usually hang out on my veggie plants so we'd have to pick em off the plants and hand feed the girls but that's fun too. You get to see how "athletic" my chickens are when they have to jump up for a bug. They've got good eyes too so it doesn't normally take em more than 1 leap to grab an earwig!!!
--
linrose> any YouTubes on Jamie Oliver? I really don't watch tv anymore. I can usually watch a YouTube since if I miss something.... I can back it up and listen to it again.
Old 07-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #29
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
I didn't know what EVOO was either!!!
Sorrrrrryyyyyy - I've heard that phrase so much I'm sick of it, so it never occurred to me to translate when the recipe called for it.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:45 PM   #30

I finally found a packet of kohlrabi seeds ( the last one they had) at a country store near our friends house. So, I guess I *can* include them in my fall garden after all.

Tags
carrots, cook, cooked, diet, eat, eating, food, ham, health, healthy, ingredients, kohlrabi, kohlrabi recipes, nutrition, raw, recipe, recipes, vegetables