Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #1
Salamander

Default Flowers to put in Cookies

Our dandelion harvest (HA!) is winding down, so I need another source of weed flowers to mix into a batch of cookies. Other than clover, I have no idea what some of the weeds are here. Well, we have some safflower, but I want those to go to seed. I am sure I could throw in clover petals, but I am not sure how that would turn out.

Have any of you baked any cookies using flower petals? The recipe I use is basically oatmeal raisin, just tweaked to include the flower petals, and other ingredients to boost the nutritional value.

I'd like to have some ideas so I can have a source of flowers through most of the year, winter excluded. Oh, and is there any way to preserve flowers for later use? I tried gathering dandelions now and again and placed them in a freezer bag. As they were thawing when I wanted to make cookies, they had that weird smell like what comes from a pile of mowed grass.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:16 PM   #2
Heron

I don't have any experience putting flowers in cookies, but one herb that I grow in my garden is borage, which has edible blue flowers. Sometimes people put them in iced tea or other such drink. Borage is said to be an herb that uplifts your mood.

Edible Borage Flowers ? Veggie Gardening Tips
BeeWonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:45 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Pansies, nasturtiums, calendula, roses squash blossoms, violets, lavendar but not much or they start to taste soapy! Bout all I can think of real quick.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 05:46 PM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

You can hang them to dry or dehydrate them but a lot of the flavor is lost.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:10 PM   #5
Salamander

Thank you for the suggestions. I should plant some borage, I need something like that now and again.

Havalotta, do you think drying would cause much nutritional loss, as well?
Birding Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
WG Facilitator

If anyone is interested in edible flowers, here's quite an impressive list of edible flowers, and suggestions on how to use each.

Birding Bunch, I wasn't able to find anything on long-term storage. This website has suggestions on how to keep them fresh for about 10 days, and that's not what you were looking for.

Edible Flowers, How to choose Edible Flowers, Eatable Flowers, Edible Flower Chart, List of Edible Flowers, Incredible Edible Flowers

It won't help you with cookies, but it has a really neat suggestion for party ice cubes - freeze a flower in each compartment of an ice cube tray, then pop ice cubes in a ziplock bag until needed.

Tags
borage, calendula, cook, cookies, dandelion, eat, edible flowers, edible plants, edibles, flowers, food, lavendar, nasturtiums, natural, pansies, plants, preserve, put, recipes, roses squash blossoms, violets