Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Recipes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2012, 08:47 PM   #11
WG Facilitator

So you have made other batches of bread from this starter, and it was good? Was it just a different bread recipe this time? One that took many hours to rise?

Some sourdoughs are described as having a "unique taste". If you're happy with your starter, I can help you look for a different recipe.

If the batch before this one was wonderful, I would try that - just adding more water to get it to the consistency you remember.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:56 PM   #12
WG Facilitator

I know it's not whole grain, but it sounds wholesome AND incredible. 2 1/2 hour rising time
Cracked Wheat Sourdough Bread Recipe | Yummly

Cracked wheat, flax, sunflower seeds, honey and molasses. It also says Wheat Flour. Would that imply whole-wheat flour?
Old 06-11-2012, 08:59 PM   #13
WG Facilitator

Honey Oat & Flax - you let this one rise overnight in the refrigerator.
https://sourdough.com/recipes/honey-...flax-sourdough
Old 06-12-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
WG Facebook Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
So you have made other batches of bread from this starter, and it was good? Was it just a different bread recipe this time? One that took many hours to rise?

Some sourdoughs are described as having a "unique taste". If you're happy with your starter, I can help you look for a different recipe.

If the batch before this one was wonderful, I would try that - just adding more water to get it to the consistency you remember.
The first batch I made with it tasted good, but it just didn't rise enough. This time, I let it rise too long, and it tasted bad. I don't think I needed to let it rise as long as I did (9 hrs. for the 1st rising). I just did so because it was convenient (overnight). I think I will continue trying with this starter, but aim at a rise time somewhere around 5 hours for the first.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:24 AM   #15

Quote:
I know it's not whole grain, but it sounds wholesome AND incredible. 2 1/2 hour rising time
Cracked Wheat Sourdough Bread Recipe | Yummly

Cracked wheat, flax, sunflower seeds, honey and molasses. It also says Wheat Flour. Would that imply whole-wheat flour?
Thanks for the recipes! They do sound good. Of course, all traditional flour is wheat flour, but I bet they do mean "whole wheat," because they also have "bread flour" (i.e. refined wheat flour) in the recipe.

I'll probably give these a try at some point. Mixing in some white flour probably helps get a faster rise too.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
WG Facilitator

I wonder if you fed the yeast a more refined flour (perhaps unbleached) during the proofing process, if it would multiply like crazy and give more "oomph" to the rise when you make your bread? Meaning use unbleached, not whole wheat to feed the yeast, but make the actual recipe the way you want.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #17

Quote:
I wonder if you fed the yeast a more refined flour (perhaps unbleached) during the proofing process, if it would multiply like crazy and give more "oomph" to the rise when you make your bread? Meaning use unbleached, not whole wheat to feed the yeast, but make the actual recipe the way you want.
Yeah, that's certainly another option. The site I got the recipe from, whose author seems quite knowledgeable, does say however that he converts his starter to whole wheat through a series of feedings before making the bread.

BTW, from what I've been reading, it's actually the Lactobacillus bacterium that provides rise in sourdough, not primarily yeast! Of course, some sourdough recipes call for yeast in addition.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:40 PM   #18
WG Facilitator

Ok - glad to hear that you were able to get good info from the folks your starter comes from, on the kind of bread that you want to make. There are so many variables in starters - that kind of information is invaluable.

Are you lucky enough that his site has recipes that you like too?
Old 06-12-2012, 09:04 PM   #19

Quote:
Ok - glad to hear that you were able to get good info from the folks your starter comes from, on the kind of bread that you want to make. There are so many variables in starters - that kind of information is invaluable.

Are you lucky enough that his site has recipes that you like too?
Not really. It's mostly about techniques. Once I get the basics down, I will definitely try more complex recipes like the ones you posted.

Got some more info on how to de-sour the bread. Shorter rise is definitely part of it, but you can also use more starter to help the dough rise faster and, unsurprisingly, more refined flour content in the dough. I like sour, but the last loaves were almost alcoholic. It was like chewing an old cheese.

The mother-in-law is coming into town tomorrow. She has a very southern-suburban set of tastes and mostly just eats processed food and, of course, factory-produced white bread. (She wouldn't eat breads I've made with seeds or cracked wheat in them, for example.) I'm going to try to ease her into sourdough with a half-white, half-whole wheat loaf. We'll see how it goes.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:43 PM   #20
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
The mother-in-law is coming into town tomorrow. She has a very southern-suburban set of tastes and mostly just eats processed food and, of course, factory-produced white bread. (She wouldn't eat breads I've made with seeds or cracked wheat in them, for example.) I'm going to try to ease her into sourdough with a half-white, half-whole wheat loaf. We'll see how it goes.
You might wanna try full white for her...just being sourdough might be enough of a change. Your goal is to ease her in so she'll be willing to try more of your creations, right?
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bake, baking, bread, bread making, breads, dough, loaf, loaves, recipe, sour, sourdough, sourdoughers