Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Rain Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog

Thanks to getting a little off topic on the succession thread, havalotta has me thinking about my pond and streambed.

Although I've always said that the first thing I'd do after buying a home was put in a pond, I've yet to do it. We've been here a little over three years, and, although I've collected a lot of rocks from around the property, bought some pond liners, and even began digging a hole, still no pond/streambed.

As much as I want one, I do think taking the time to really figure out the right placement and gathering the required materials (rocks, boulders, etc.) will give me a better final product than had I rushed to put one in.

I'm hoping to continue the conversation here.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:01 PM   #2

From the succession thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Can't wait to see....You're going to take photos as you proceed aren't you?
LOL! You want photos--I have a feeling you will be inundated with photos. Pictures of rocks, diagrams of where rocks were and where they've been moved, pictures of rocks (small boulders) being dragged across the yard on cardboard, rocks I've dug up... you'll have before, during, and after photos...eventually "after" photos, that is.

If you are really intersted in my plan, check this out:

A Native Backyard: planning for the streambed

Here is a taste :
Attached Thumbnails
Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-rocks_for_pond_before_diagram.jpg   Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-rocks_for_pond_after_diagram.jpg   Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-rocks-pond-inset.jpg   Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-pond-rock-sorting-5.jpg   Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-rocks-not-bad-uncovered.jpg  

"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #3

Quote:
In your third photo is that a stream bed in the making?

Yes, I guess it is. I tried to place the boulders in a way that will form a natural bend in the stream.

Quote:
I like how you inserted the smaller photo to show the rocks beginning.

Thank you. I plan to dig the pond right around where the inserted photo is. Beyond that, farther down the hillside, I'd like to have some cattails, wetland plants, and two kinds of willows.

Quote:
Gonna be awesome!

Thank you!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:27 PM   #4
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Where is its beginning going to be? Near the home for easy viewing?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:37 PM   #5

These are rather random--not in chronological order, but here is some of what I'm working with:

I did finally break ground last summer after being inspired by tineckbone.

BTW, the liner, is the smallest one I have. I bought several on Craigslist (at a really good price), and the guy threw in this small one. I plan to use it for a mini-wetland area.

My general plan is to create a pool at the top of the hill (that can be viewed from the back windows) that will have areas for birds to bathe. I want it to (somehow) look natural and have it spill into several pools/tubs on its way into the larger pond near the bottom of the hill.

Unless I can disguise the pool to make it look as though it is part of a larger stream hidden from view, I doubt it will look very natural. I am toying with the idea of making it look like an underground spring/stream that just breaks the surface at the pool and spills down the hillside. As you can see, a lot of planning will be required to make it look natural--which is very important to me.

As with all of the other rocks and boulders, I found the rock with the hole with a metal rod through it. One idea was to cut the metal off (which I finally did a couple months ago)...and put the tubing from a pump flush with the hole, letting water spill from it. *If* I can pull it off, I may put this under a large rock that will help form the "underground stream".

These are my general ideas. I hope it can spark some suggestions from the membership...and document my (longterm) project.
Attached Thumbnails
Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-pond-birdbath-050.jpg   Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-pond-birdbath-063.jpg   Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-rock-pond.jpg  
Old 03-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Where is its beginning going to be? Near the home for easy viewing?
~smile~ Great question... I think I just answered that my latest post--I was typing it up while you were asking, I guess.

Yes, I want it to begin near the house for easy viewing--AND photo opportunities! I just *really* want it to look like it was always there and not man-made. That has been important to me since I first became interested in watergardening (probably my mid-to-late teens).
Old 03-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #7

I've ran across those steel rods in rocks before but have yet to figure out the whys of them...
I think putting that one under a large rock will give you that "underground stream" look you are trying to achieve.....
What a GREAT solution to feed your flow tubes from!

Old 03-01-2011, 07:51 PM   #8

I can picture it already!
In my minds eye..... I see vegetation following all along it and down to the pond....
To make it blend in like a stream still flowing beyond.... I'd continue a lazy snaky line of vegetation leading to the woodland? below.

Just what is at its lower end...

Old 03-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #9

Quote:
I've ran across those steel rods in rocks before but have yet to figure out the whys of them...
Yeah, I don't know exactly what they were used for, I thought maybe it was to anchor something that may have been part of a wall or patio or something...I really didn't think much about it--except how *I* could use it.

Quote:
I think putting that one under a large rock will give you that "underground stream" look you are trying to achieve.....
What a GREAT solution to feed your flow tubes from!
Thank you for your confidence in me...I am not quite there yet. I sure do hope it works.
Old 03-01-2011, 08:16 PM   #10

Quote:
I can picture it already!
In my minds eye..... I see vegetation following all along it and down to the pond....
To make it blend in like a stream still flowing beyond.... I'd continue a lazy snaky line of vegetation leading to the woodland? below.

Just what is at its lower end...
It is hard to compete with someone elses imagination. I hope I can at least satisfy what I see in *my* mind's eye. I do want some vegetation to help blend it in and also hide where the stream begins... Eventually I think I can achieve something that will statisfy my vision...at least I hope I can.

There is more of a slope beyond, then it drops off to a steep hillside. If I make it follow the slope, it should look fine. And I will eventually have shrubs to disguise the drop off (right now there are Japanese honeysuckle there.

(*IF* we were ever able to buy the land behind us, I can envision a waterfall and another pond/wetland at the bottom. )

Tags
bog, build, install, installation, make, natural, planning, pond, pond building, ponds, possibly, rocks, stream, streambed, streams, water, water features, water garden, waterfall, watergardening