Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Rain Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2018, 04:22 PM   #321
Fox

sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Done complete fini!
What a great feeling.....Hugs to meeeee. La ti la ti daaaaa let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....I'm ready. Hit me with your best shot... ok feeling good now naa na naa na naaaa

Actually it HAS snowed up here twice to be exact but not long lasting at all. Soooooon though. A long Winters rest from Summer chores up and coming. Take me away calgon. Zipadee do daaaa
Ok I'm fine, just soooo glad to have finally finished off that front project three years in the making.
Oh the joy of it!
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2018, 04:40 PM   #322
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

You could feel it ha? Stop on in some eve when you're in town. I'll flick the switch for ya!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:36 PM   #323
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Done complete fini!
What a great feeling.....Hugs to meeeee. La ti la ti daaaaa let it snow, let it snow, let it snow....I'm ready. Hit me with your best shot... ok feeling good now naa na naa na naaaa

Actually it HAS snowed up here twice to be exact but not long lasting at all. Soooooon though. A long Winters rest from Summer chores up and coming. Take me away calgon. Zipadee do daaaa
Ok I'm fine, just soooo glad to have finally finished off that front project three years in the making.
Congrats!

Your excitement is palpable.

...and your cultural references are appreciated. Calgon, take me away! Ha ha.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 07:00 PM   #324

With all of the rain we've had--I swear it has been four months with only an occasional day with part sun...and, more recently one full day of sun...and twice two days in a row without rain (or only in the morning/overnight). So, with that, and working my regular job, and interpreting assignment twice a week, and Jeff and I teaching a class one day a week, there has not been much time for me to do much of anything outside.

So, I was so happy that the weather cooperated, today, on my only day off during the week...and thrilled that I pushed myself to change into work clothes and go outside.

I finally got around to hauling some more of the rocks that I got over the summer. My goal is to create some natural-looking rock outcroppings along the slope that leads to my pond & streambed project. I'm hoping I can create a cliff-like look.

Nothing is set in stone yet. ...but I got a chance to play around with some possible groupings. It needs a lot, lot, lot more work to make it look right...but it felt great to get out and WORK!

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20181107_175833.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20181107_175745.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20181107_175647.jpg

I plan to out down some rubber roofing under the rocks, create cliff-like outcroppings, and a sandy soil over the rubber roofing, and add scree around the rocks. Here's hoping that I can make it look natural...and create a nice-looking spot for a streambed and waterfall(s).

I stayed out until dusk became rather dark. I've missed being out there...and I'm hoping to get in better shape again. Here's hoping I can do more before the ground freezes here. Then, once winter hits, I hope I enjoy the reprieve.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-07-2018, 10:13 PM   #325
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Wow I like it!!!
Striations nice and level like nature intends them to be (Unless a fault occurs) They stand out REALLY nice with the soil breaks between. Here and there different thicknesses....Oooo Ahhhh I can't wait to see it all finished. Better yet... The following year, when it's patina melds one and all.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 11:29 PM   #326

Quote:
Wow I like it!!!
Striations nice and level like nature intends them to be (Unless a fault occurs) They stand out REALLY nice with the soil breaks between. Here and there different thicknesses....Oooo Ahhhh I can't wait to see it all finished. Better yet... The following year, when it's patina melds one and all.
Thank you so much, havalotta.

I love the idea of it...I hope that I can pull it off. Your comment makes me feel like I am heading in the right direction. I plan to add a scree to make it look more natural than just the soil behind it. Also, I'm hoping to grow some kinds of natives that thrive in that type of habitat.

I am not sure when I will finish it, but I'm sure I will post the results.
Old 11-10-2018, 10:34 AM   #327
Great Horned Owl

I'll be looking forward to seeing the final product, Dap. I know you have put a lot of consideration and analysis into how you would like it to appear and function upon completion. I, on the other hand, would have more of a tendency to rush the operation, only to find I had made some irreparable mistakes and wrong moves after it was completed. Indeed, I've done that many times...

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #328

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
I'll be looking forward to seeing the final product, Dap. I know you have put a lot of consideration and analysis into how you would like it to appear and function upon completion. I, on the other hand, would have more of a tendency to rush the operation, only to find I had made some irreparable mistakes and wrong moves after it was completed. Indeed, I've done that many times...
Jack,

Thank you for your confidence in me...I am sure there are still mistakes, but I do hope that the overall effect will end up pretty close to my vision. Maybe even better, if I am lucky.

The funny thing is, in many ways I am winging it. I have the general idea, but I ended up just digging it and using the soil to create some kind of terrace for the pond to sit on...and now I'm deciding to create a spillway and marshy area below.

I have held back on posting more pictures of it, because it looks so unsightly with the liner showing, the ground still piles of dirt, and mugwort and other weeds taking over. Although, I, surprisingly, started digging in the rock ledges/outcroppings, I doubt that I will make much more progress until spring. Way too much rain is *one* of the reasons that I didn't get more accomplished this year.

Part of me does feel that finishing it in the spring will ultimately benefit the final product. Late winter and early spring, all of the rocks that I have on the property will be easily seen and collected before the areas get overgrown. I have collected and moved so many mini-boulders through the years, that I know were hidden from me during the growing season. With a fresh start in spring, I will see *every* rock that is available to me. Hopefully, this will result in more attractive groupings.

There is still a LOT to do...and I am not sure planning it ahead of time will work. I will just have to play with all of the puzzle pieces and hope that I can make them work. My dad had a rock garden, and I feel like this is in my blood. here's hoping that I have something of real beauty to show...and that it diesnt take much longer--ten years is way too long to wait.
Old 11-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #329
Fox

Smile

I'm with Jack and Havalotta - you've accomplished a lot already! Give yourself a little time to smell the roses, enjoy the journey.

(I do have to point out though that that big rock is at least a quarter inch off center. We are watching.)
I will age, but I refuse to get old.
NEWisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 06:39 PM   #330

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
I'm with Jack and Havalotta - you've accomplished a lot already! Give yourself a little time to smell the roses, enjoy the journey.

(I do have to point out though that that big rock is at least a quarter inch off center. We are watching.)
Ha ha!

Thank you. I am happy that I am making progress, I just want to make sure that I finish it...I am not getting any younger.

I'm thrilled that it is already benefitting wildlife, but until it no longer looks like an eyesore, I will have a hard time fully enjoying it. That said, I am thrilled that I did as much as I have...and I like studying it to figure out how to fit it all together to create something to be proud of.

Tags
bog, build, install, installation, make, natural, planning, pond, pond building, ponds, possibly, rocks, stream, streambed, streams, water, water features, water garden, waterfall, watergardening