Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Rain Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2018, 09:37 PM   #261
Hippie Gardener

We got a LOT of rain, Hava. Fortunately, it stopped before the temps dipped below freezing again overnight. There was some ice on the bird feeders this a.m., but that was about it. We have rivers and streams flooding now, though.

I hate to spread salt, too, but sometimes it's needed for safety. We use it sparingly, and only where we really have to.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:29 PM   #262
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default What Took me so Long!!!

Although I have been working on and off on "Phase II" of my pond/streambed/wetland project, it had been slow and very intermittent. I decided this is the year I have to focus on the pond--and complete it. The past couple of weeks, I've mentioned it to a few people--knowing that they will ask about it and that should help keep me focused.

Yesterday--or two days ago (yesterday it rained)--I went back to digging the pond that was already half-dug. The ground is so loose, so easy to dig! I was loving it and got a lot accomplished. Although I expected to be sore, I took two Aleve and felt fine! I imagined that I would work at it every day for the next two weeks or so, but the weather has not been cooperating...but my motivation level is high, and I hope to post pics of my progress. Hmm...maybe this post can be an additional motivator to keep me honest.

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180624_164917.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180624_165019.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180624_165109.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:06 PM   #263

More pics from today.

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180624_173423.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180624_173337.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180624_173357.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 06-29-2018, 02:07 PM   #264
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Boy when this title rang in I'm like you've GOT to be kidding me.
You're actually working on it!!!!!! Way to go (Literally) dapjwy!
keep at it!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:16 AM   #265
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
keep at it!
Havalotta, I had exactly the same thought!!! ha ha. But, go DAP!!! Really looking forward to this like the Ancient Greeks looked forward to the building of the Parthenon!! (until the early Christians vandalized it and began to tear sections of it down...) I doubt if that happens to you (unless Trump hears about your project!!)

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:54 PM   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
keep at it!
I seriously can't understand what took me so long! I am digging away and really enjoying the process. I *know* how beneficial this will be to wildlife and can't wait to see the birds bathing and the other critters it attracts.

We had to make two day trips the past two days...and then today, with the intense heat, I only got a little done, so I'm already getting antsy.

Jeff found a pump and filter online and ordered it for me. He did this on his own--I am so glad that he is interested enough to research and get involved. It arrived today. (pump, filter, tubing, and waterfall/filter/tub)
Old 06-30-2018, 08:00 PM   #267

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Havalotta, I had exactly the same thought!!! ha ha. But, go DAP!!! Really looking forward to this like the Ancient Greeks looked forward to the building of the Parthenon!! (until the early Christians vandalized it and began to tear sections of it down...) I doubt if that happens to you (unless Trump hears about your project!!)
It was a long time coming...lots of reasons for delays. I am building this on a slope which adds to the difficulty, but should, ultimately, make it look more natural.than creating a mound for a waterfall.

I spent the past three years focused on the meadow--and, sadly, I gave little to show for it, so, I decided this has to be the year if the pond. I am not getting any younger and I don't want to see my window if opportunity to close. I will be fifty this year! Not sure how that happened!

Luckily, for the most part, I still feel like I am thirty...and I'm loving digging this by hand.

No one tell 45. I'm not gonna let him ruin my private little refuge. I need it now more than ever to find peace in this crazy world.
Old 06-30-2018, 08:40 PM   #268

Some of my progress...

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180630_210131.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180630_210105.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180630_210239.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180630_210459.jpg
Old 06-30-2018, 08:52 PM   #269

Some more pics...

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180630_210401.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180630_210537.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180630_210627.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180630_210650.jpg

I found a lot of rocks for the streambed...unfortunately, I had hoped to find some huge ones--so far, none. However, I have found plenty other ones through the years.
Old 07-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #270

I dug some more this morning...but the heat and humidity are already taking their toll. I realized how fun and easy it was to dig prior to this heat wave; this was not fun. So, after accomplishing a bit, I decided it was safer to dig in more comfortable weather.

Shaping the contours has filled in the deepest spot, so it feels a bit like three steps forward and two steps back. It is not really an issue because i plan to push the deep end back a bit more anyway...and it is easy to dig my loose soil.

So, now, I am sitting here studying what I've done and planning for the big picture. It occurs to me as I sit on my portable seat, that I would like a big enough rock or boulder placed on the slope that would be the right height for sitting. It always pays to sit back and study what one is doing.

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20180701_110550.jpg

I used to do that when I did oil paintings years ago. Lately, I realize that this is my art now. The pond, woods, meadow, etc. is not only a three-dimensional art form, but a four-dimensional art project (with time as the fourth dimension).

Tags
bog, build, install, installation, make, natural, planning, pond, pond building, ponds, possibly, rocks, stream, streambed, streams, water, water features, water garden, waterfall, watergardening