Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Rain Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2017, 09:25 PM   #231
Hippie Gardener

I'm not getting as much done as I wanted to this year, due to a minor (yet irritating) shoulder injury. Not serious enough to warrant going to the Dr., but serious enough to slow my digging ways down a bit .
I want to clean up/out some more areas that are full of Virginia Creeper and add some other things there. I want to dig up what remains of the front lawn and make a mulched path there. I want to do a lot of things....but my shoulder is slowing me down.
I did get a small pond put in! My cousin had a preformed one that she was no longer using. She and her hubby came over one day and we dug the hole for it. I spent the next few days purchasing, hauling, and rearranging rocks around it. Not so good for the shoulder, but I sure enjoy the sound of the running water!
Old 08-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #232
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
I'm not getting as much done as I wanted to this year, due to a minor (yet irritating) shoulder injury. Not serious enough to warrant going to the Dr., but serious enough to slow my digging ways down a bit .
I want to clean up/out some more areas that are full of Virginia Creeper and add some other things there. I want to dig up what remains of the front lawn and make a mulched path there. I want to do a lot of things....but my shoulder is slowing me down.
I did get a small pond put in! My cousin had a preformed one that she was no longer using. She and her hubby came over one day and we dug the hole for it. I spent the next few days purchasing, hauling, and rearranging rocks around it. Not so good for the shoulder, but I sure enjoy the sound of the running water!
Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Happy to hear about your unexpected pond! Enjoy.

Any pictures?

At the end of the school year, Jeff and I attended as an end of the year BBQ (hosted by Jeff's work) at a park. Someone set up a "tightrope" of sorts--I forget what it is called. It was low to the ground (if not, I'd never be tempted to try it).

I did give it a try...but I was worried that I would end up with an injury that would keep me incapacitated all summer. I had great plans and a whole lot of motivation--I'm grateful nothing bad happened.

Funny, after my second or third attempt, I started to improve--i would have kept at it until I got better, but I decided it wasn't worth the risk. Looking back, I know that digging the pond was my priority. So far, I accomplished a lot--just not the pond.

Two things seem to be holding me back: no underlayment...and, I fear that the liner I purchased will result in a pond too small to satisfy my vision. For the past year, I have been thinking that I should get a larger liner and use this one for a wetland planting.

...Oh, and building this all into a slope and making it look natural is a challenge.

Ok...I'm gonna look for some pictures now...not all pond related.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 08:01 AM   #233

Now...these pictures may seem "non pond related", but, not only do they show that I am actively working in the yard, they are also materials that I plan to use for my pond and streamed project.

I ordered a gritty, sandy "soil", from just down the road from us. It is local and just what I needed for another project--my rocky barren project for lack of a better name. Perhaps I can start another thread down the road regarding those projects ("rocky barren/sandy meadow" and my rocky outcrop project). I also used this soil (over cardboard) to smother some crownvetch on a slope (and to lessen the steepness of the slope).
Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20170812_080837.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20170812_080633.jpg

Anyway, this sandy composite will likely solve another issue that I've noticed over the years; the first phase of my pond is easily engulfed in weeds and grass (from the remaining "lawn"). I plan to put down more liner, some rock, pebbles, and this sandy mix to extend the shoreline and blend the pond into the surrounding area. My hope is to make it look as though it was carved out of a rocky slope and that in times of high water, this area would be under water (in reality, it would never fill on this space unfortunately).

Aside from this use of my "soil", while digging in some plugs for a section of my meadow planting, I hit rock...and was able to remove this beauty. It's shape makes me think it will work well in the streamed section.

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20170812_082951.jpg

Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20170812_083021.jpg

Gathering mini-boulders, rounded rocks, and the like has been a years long project. I'm sure, that is still don't have enough for my vision--that could be a contributing factor as to my procrastination. Foolish, I know. I would rather have an unfinished pond that I continue to tweak , than no pond at all.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #234
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Keep gathering, digging and thinking on ways to improve upon what you've already done or problems your experiencing or perceiving. Any time in thought is also time well spent. It saves on time and problems in the long haul. Now get cracking on what you can do this year and if you are thinking the liner too small GO for a larger one or you'll be wishing you had!!! Like putting up a garage and finding another lawn toy you forgot about housing. Once it's in or up it's like starting over should you decide later....to increase it's size.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 11:32 AM   #235
Hippie Gardener

My little pond. I'm still not sure this is the final answer, but it is for this year! I planted some Pennsylvania sedge, blue-eyed grass and prairie smoke inside the little "walls". That is well over 600# of rock, moved more times than I care to count. So this is how it shall remain for the rest of the season. It may change next spring....we shall see.
Attached Thumbnails
Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20170727_192354.jpg   Planning a Streambed, Pond, and Possibly a Bog-20170727_192341.jpg  
Old 08-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #236
Hippie Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Now...these pictures may seem "non pond related", but, not only do they show that I am actively working in the yard, they are also materials that I plan to use for my pond and streamed project.

I ordered a gritty, sandy "soil", from just down the road from us. It is local and just what I needed for another project--my rocky barren project for lack of a better name. Perhaps I can start another thread down the road regarding those projects ("rocky barren/sandy meadow" and my rocky outcrop project). I also used this soil (over cardboard) to smother some crownvetch on a slope (and to lessen the steepness of the slope).
Attachment 45125

Attachment 45126

Anyway, this sandy composite will likely solve another issue that I've noticed over the years; the first phase of my pond is easily engulfed in weeds and grass (from the remaining "lawn"). I plan to put down more liner, some rock, pebbles, and this sandy mix to extend the shoreline and blend the pond into the surrounding area. My hope is to make it look as though it was carved out of a rocky slope and that in times of high water, this area would be under water (in reality, it would never fill on this space unfortunately).

Aside from this use of my "soil", while digging in some plugs for a section of my meadow planting, I hit rock...and was able to remove this beauty. It's shape makes me think it will work well in the streamed section.

Attachment 45127

Attachment 45128

Gathering mini-boulders, rounded rocks, and the like has been a years long project. I'm sure, that is still don't have enough for my vision--that could be a contributing factor as to my procrastination. Foolish, I know. I would rather have an unfinished pond that I continue to tweak , than no pond at all.
I love finding "free rocks/boulders!". I found a couple of biggies while digging in our yard as well. Probably used for a landscaping project at one time by the previous owners. It's like striking GOLD....well, maybe not exactly like it, but I do love finding rocks

Looks like you have been busy, Dap! The pond will come together in time and it's gonna be a beautiful thing.
Old 08-14-2017, 12:11 AM   #237
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

skull

Yours too once the greenery surrounds and blends it into the landscape!
So there's another rocker in the group ha? OK My turn...Found a great slab at a place last week. Could barely lift it up into the flatbed of the truck let alone slide it in further. For now, it's leaning upon a big tree at camp alongside another like slab gathered from a field last year. Looks like the beginnings of a grave yard.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 08:23 PM   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Keep gathering, digging and thinking on ways to improve upon what you've already done or problems your experiencing or perceiving. Any time in thought is also time well spent. It saves on time and problems in the long haul. Now get cracking on what you can do this year and if you are thinking the liner too small GO for a larger one or you'll be wishing you had!!! Like putting up a garage and finding another lawn toy you forgot about housing. Once it's in or up it's like starting over should you decide later....to increase it's size.
That is probably the biggest thing that slowed me down after making great progress on digging out phase two if the pond. From everything that I've read (for decades now), the biggest regret of pond owners is that they didn't go bigger!

That is holding me off.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:30 PM   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by katjh View Post
My little pond. I'm still not sure this is the final answer, but it is for this year! I planted some Pennsylvania sedge, blue-eyed grass and prairie smoke inside the little "walls". That is well over 600# of rock, moved more times than I care to count. So this is how it shall remain for the rest of the season. It may change next spring....we shall see.
Thanks for the pictures.

I love the running water. Unfortunately, that is "phase *three* of my plan...so, it will have to wait.

I hear you about moving rocks (and more than once)...nothing wrong with waiting until inspiration hits and you choose to make changes (should that happen).

Enjoy your new creation.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Yours too once the greenery surrounds and blends it into the landscape!
So there's another rocker in the group ha? OK My turn...Found a great slab at a place last week. Could barely lift it up into the flatbed of the truck let alone slide it in further. For now, it's leaning upon a big tree at camp alongside another like slab gathered from a field last year. Looks like the beginnings of a grave yard.

Gotta hold them until you can use them.

Tags
bog, build, install, installation, make, natural, planning, pond, pond building, ponds, possibly, rocks, stream, streambed, streams, water, water features, water garden, waterfall, watergardening