Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Rain Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2009, 07:51 PM   #1
Salamander

Default First flower

I've seen my first sarracenia flower in my bog. It was a purpurea, and what a beauty she was! Just like all the pictures I've seen.
The high humidity and heat have seemed to helped the plants grow. Some are very stunted. Lots of volunteer sundews and a violet looking plant, thinking this one could become a problem.
Finished putting rock around the bog. Been in "slumpville" lately, haven't been able to think of how to move on. Will get there tho... Need a big break from everything.
Would love to see what others have growing in their 'backyard bog'.
Attached Thumbnails
First flower-p5210025.jpg   First flower-p1010004_1.jpg   First flower-p1010004.jpg  
NEBogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Salamander

Default volunteers

Here's some of the volunteers.
Attached Thumbnails
First flower-p1010005_1.jpg   First flower-p1010007_1.jpg   First flower-p5160005.jpg  
Old 06-29-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
Pope

NEBogger, I love the plant on the right in your second photo, second post (you described it as a volunteer). Do you know what it is?
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 08:34 PM   #4
Salamander

I'm gonna call it a sundew of some sort. Last year there was one, I brought it in thinking it wasn't hardy. Yeah, killed that one right away. This year there's oodles of them. Cute little burgers. Maybe some day I'll have a camera with a macro lens, cause they really are neat.
Old 06-29-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Unicellular Fungi

The edging around your bog looks complete. Beautiful. It will compliment the reds in the 'Judith Hindle' and in the purpurea.

You might want to consider hand pulling the species to the left of the volunteer Drosera. You won't want that.

I'm not at all sure about the grass. It may have come in the peat. It is more likely it blew in and is undesirable.

The ferns will make very nice companion species for your carnivorous plants.

Take a bow. A volunteer Drosera is a wonderful thing. A wonderful thing indeed.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:44 PM   #6
Salamander

TheLorax, do you have any idea of what the volunteer is that I need to pull?
The grass is very wiry. I haven't seen anything like that around here, especially in the garden. Have definitely found 'known' seedlings in the bog.
By fall, the Drosera should be pretty cool. They're coming up everywhere! Odd how only one came up last year, and so many this year.
I'm glad I was encouraged by someone to give a peat bog a try, it's been fun.
Old 06-30-2009, 10:00 PM   #7
Unicellular Fungi

It looked like a redstem seedling to me.

Do you know the origin of your sphagnum peat?
Old 07-01-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Salamander

I had bought some from Earl May and Home depot. With the volunteer Drosera, I'm thinking from a colder region. I had looked at the bags while I was making the bog, and don't recall seeing where the peat came from.
Old 07-01-2009, 09:55 PM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Hey you! Looking good! You finished adding all the petrified rocks around the edge. You have an elegant bog compared to everyone else's. Don't say I didn't tell you that once you went soggy you'd never go back! You were forewarned. I guess it's safe to say the sundew is temperate if it overwintered and volunteered.

Tags
flower