Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Rain Gardens

View Poll Results: Do you currently have a water feature for wildlife? Tell us what you have and a little bit about it
Natural Pond 5 13.51%
Artificial Pond 10 27.03%
Water Wall 1 2.70%
Watercourse 0 0%
Trickle Tower 0 0%
Table Top Water Feature 3 8.11%
Rain Garden 4 10.81%
Bog 0 0%
Other (what do you have) 9 24.32%
Combination of the above 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2009, 07:50 PM   #51
Carbon

Default Water Feature For Wildlife

I hope I am introducing this subject in the proper way.I have 20 acres in the Chihuahuan Desert in far west Texas, Big Bend area. It is located on a huge ranch which many people collectively own. Some people own very large tracts, several hundred acres, I have only twenty. Water is collected via rain catchment systems. There used to be a hunting club there which now no longer exists. But some owners still hunt. I do not. Nor do I advocate hunting. I am being greatly criticized by some who think I should put a water guzzler on my place to bring in the wildlife. I have not been inclined to do so because the "wildlife" they want to bring in are game animals. If I lived there full time I could do it because I would be there to monitor it. But it is my belief that if you lure animals into an area with an artificial water source and do not offer the forage that they need, the animals will suffer. This is a desert and most animals head on up into the mountains when water is scarce. But of course, it's easier to hunt them in the desert.

I have noticed that most State Wildlife departments do advocate the use of guzzlers. The State of Texas certainly does. But it is done under the game management programs to increase hunting revenue for the state by increasing the deer, quail, turkey, etc numbers.

Now I am not talking about water for wildlife in our yards and areas where there will be constant monitoring. This is in the desert where these folks come out once or twice a year to hunt or camp. I can't make them under stand that wildlife need more than just water and a few buckets of corn thrown around just before hunting season. I am really agonizing over this. I have been accused of not caring for the wildlife because of my views.

I just would like to hear back from some people who garden for wildlife. Are any of you in similar circumstances. Thanks for any feedback and ideas. Sorry for the length of this posting.
Carolyn

Last edited by Fearless Weeder; 05-30-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: removing personally identifiable information
bogwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #52
Official Plant Nerd

I do advocate hunting white-tail deer. There are few predators left other than vehicles and hunters. For what it's worth, your wildlife ethics are above reproach.
Old 05-31-2009, 01:18 AM   #53
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
MaggyNoLia-
Please tell me more about the rock walled pool in the first photo above.

That is our infamous turtle pond. We had it built a couple of years ago and the turtle has yet to make his way out to the pond. Our family and friends have been giving us a hard time about the lack of a turtle for the last 2 years. I think we had a fairly decent idea at first, but we really had no idea of what would be needed for it to be a suitable habitat.

The pond has a pump and a heater. It also has a drain. The pond was built by Blue Haven Pools. It really is a hot tub with just a little redesigning to make it our pond. The water can be heated up to 104 degrees. The stone is Carolina Rose flagstone. Inside the pond is what is called a beach entry in the right most curve and mounted into the floor of the beach entry is a big flat rock that a turtle could crawl out of the water to bask in the sun.

Unfortunately we never gave thought to the dinner plate the turtle would represent to the raccoons, osprey and sharp-shinned hawks that are fairly abundant in our area and this is the main factor as to why the turtle still resides in our house.

About a year and a half ago we contracted with a man to build us a cover and turtle house for the pond. The cover was supposed to sit on the flagstone coping at the top. It was going to be somewhat domed in shape and made out of screen. The turtle house was supposed to be a box with a ramp that would be inserted into the back contour of the pond. It was to be covered at the back with a small sunning pad at the front. The contractor got our deposit and that's the last we've seen or heard from him.
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 09:59 AM   #54
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

What a rip off artist he was. Too bad! I hope you find someone else to finish it. It sounds like a good home for him..........
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 06:13 PM   #55
Official Plant Nerd

Stick a 2 x 4 in there for now so nothing drowns. That should help until you have the money to enclose and complete the design. It's a very beautiful design with or without the turtle.

Tags
features, water, wildlife