Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Rain Gardens

View Poll Results: Do you currently have a water feature for wildlife? Tell us what you have and a little bit about it
Natural Pond 5 13.51%
Artificial Pond 10 27.03%
Water Wall 1 2.70%
Watercourse 0 0%
Trickle Tower 0 0%
Table Top Water Feature 3 8.11%
Rain Garden 4 10.81%
Bog 0 0%
Other (what do you have) 9 24.32%
Combination of the above 5 13.51%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

As you can see my 135 gallon preformed pond is still dormant yet. The water lilies I have are hardy here so there is no need for me to store them inside over winter. Over all it is a well balanced pond but I still choose to add an underwater pump for circulation.

Water features for wildlife-dscf5260.jpg

I installed my pond 16 years ago and it is still holding up nicely. Originally I had put the soil I had dug out next to it and dug pockets for plants. I took a step back to admire my work and hated it immediatly. It looked HORRIBLE. The hill was so out of proportion I removed it entirely. I planted around it instead leaving a grassy area near to lay on for soft pearing pleasure. Limestone that I had collected and hand chisled myself were set in to fit the edges to protect it from the sun that destroys so many of these prematurely.

Water features for wildlife-dscf5261.jpg

Two years ago I added a wall around it as I tired of telling the grass cutters to PLEASE blow the trimmings the other way. I filled it in with ammended soil sloping down towards the pond. Variegated weigelas will fill in at the top for future privacy along with many perennials. Thinking ahead about erosion I added a row of stones at its base so fresh soil couldn't enter my pond.

Water features for wildlife-dscf5263.jpg

The next addition was a dry waterfall as I figured it would be much safer for me to walk around. I have also placed solar lights near my evening blooming Tina james primrose for nightime viewing. This plant is truley awesome. Its highly scented 4" blooms open up at dusk like fast film photography. Really amazing!

Water features for wildlife-dscf5264.jpg

Driftwood lay in its depths making it easier for birds to take a drink and helps the poor floating toadies and shrews climb back out.

I will soon add my goldfish and koi along with a few huge tadpoles to watch grow. They become so accustomed to me they will allow me pet them as frogs later on!
Attached Thumbnails
Water features for wildlife-dscf0295.jpg  
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:21 PM   #12
Official Plant Nerd

"Driftwood lay in its depths making it easier for birds to take a drink and helps the poor floating toadies and shrews climb back out." Excellent! You added an escape route. Way to go havalotta. So many people don't think of that. Where did you get ther turtles on the left in the 4th photo? Those are excellent. The whole pond is excellent. Does Mr. Heron come and visit you and eat your fish and frogs?
Old 05-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #13

Just some cheep rubber turtles I repainted realistically. The heron ate my prized fish the first day I put them in! :eek: Was I mad.
I added more fish,submerged plants, rocks and water lilies for fish to hide under and a pump to keep the water moving so they couldn't see through as well. I have not had any more problems in all that time since!
Old 05-13-2009, 06:38 AM   #14
Big Fat juicy WORM

I'm eyeballing a large pot that could be turned into a water feature. Since I have a shallow well, most of these things are not practical for me to try.
Old 05-13-2009, 07:19 AM   #15

A large pot would look nice with an iris (set upon a submerged pot for height) and a miniature water lily for later bloom floating on its surface!

A large shallow dish works well also. Add tiny bromeliads (they come in many shapes colors and forms). Flat rocks and a little fake frog hiding underneath the plants or a turtle sunning himself on the rocks or crawling on a miniature log for an accent also looks natural. Don't forget a vertical piece in it to draw the eye upwards. Perhaps a small twisty mass of sticks wedged in between the rocks hidden at its base by one of the beautifull bromeliads, a tall bromiliad itself or even a rock. This is your own miniature world you are creating HAVE FUN
Old 05-13-2009, 09:24 AM   #16
Too Wild To Garden

We have a forrested wetland in the rear of our yard. I scooped out a bathtub-sized hole in it to make a mini pond. In the dry front of the house, last year we kept an orange bucket under the air-conditioning runoff for watering the plants, and for the critters. (A stick was added to the bucket as an animal-ladder after fishing out a wet chipmunk.) Now that we have upgraded to a proper water tank with a screen on top, we keep a birdbath instead. The veggi garden also contains soggy pathways that the butterflies drink from.
Stoloniferous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:26 AM   #17
Harbinger of Habitat

Smile seriously (how low can you go) low - tech

I've got the two low-tech bird bath thingies:
Water features for wildlife-dscn8297.jpgWater features for wildlife-dscn8295.jpg

assorted natural water collectors - one example:
Water features for wildlife-dscn8311.jpg

and this bizarre "water feature" - the violets and virginia knotweed love it!
please note that this is the deluxe model - it comes complete with the lazy-persons-keep-the-deer-away-from-my-new-cornus-planting attachmentments
Water features for wildlife-dscn8299.jpg

from another angle:
Water features for wildlife-dscn8312.jpg

of course I envision grander things -
maybe if electricity ever makes it's way to the garden. I've always pictured a small stream/waterfall by birdbath #1. The jacks and cardinal flower would appreciate that.

bubbleoffplumb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 10:54 AM   #18

I think you need things in your thingies.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
A Bee's Best Friend

A small slope around two side of the front garden made a perfect spot for a rain garden. We dug a basin along the bottom of the slope (refill mixed with compost)and a channel from the house gutters. Water runs into the rain garden from the roof of the house and it catches runoff from the higher ground above the slope. In a very heavy rain that lasts for half hour or more, especially with already wet ground from previous rains,the basin will overflow a bit forming a puddle that could run into the alley sewer if it ever gets to that point. So far even with the heavy rains all spring this has not happened. Just a couple of hours after the rain stops all signs of standing water is gone.
I keep little bird basins on upturned logs and on rocks and placed a black tub into the ground filled with pond gravel and water just over the gravel. It has to be hosed out often but birds like it.
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #20
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I think you need things in your thingies.
A thingless thingy is a sad thing indeedy.

Tags
features, water, wildlife