Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Rain Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2018, 02:04 PM   #1
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Default What Wildlife Ponds Attract...

Even though, I am not finished with Phase II of my pond, it is dug and filled with water. The liner has yet to be disguised with rocks and such...and the piles of dirt are filled with weeds. Phases III & IV (streambed/waterfall & wetlands) are expected to be finished next year.

Still, wildlife has come to explore the area, especially once it was filled with water. I recall seeing a water strider a day or two after filling it. The deer were often around, and a bear stopped by...but I had a visitor almost two weeks ago, that I didn't really expect--it happened on my birthday no less--a blue heron.

Now, I really didn't get to see it. I heard it. After getting home from work, I was walking the property. As, I approached the top of the slope leading to my pond, I heard the rush of wings as it took off. I knew immediately that it was a heron--now that I think of it, the beating of wings may have been accompanied by a call of alarm. By the time I made it to slope, all I really saw was the blur of color as it made it flew off.

Our game cams batteries had died, and I hadn't replaced them. With all of the rain, weeds had grown up to block them anyway. However, today Jeff was able to access the security cameras that we have aimed in that direction. The video isnt very clear, but I'm thrilled to have it and share it. ***after trying to upload it unsuccessfully a couple of times--"invalid file"-- here are some screenshots :

What Wildlife Ponds Attract...-20181110_135936.jpg

What Wildlife Ponds Attract...-screenshot_20181110-135943_gallery.jpg

What Wildlife Ponds Attract...-20181110_140011.jpg

What Wildlife Ponds Attract...-20181110_140047.jpg
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Even though, I am not finished with Phase II of my pond, it is dug and filled with water. The liner has yet to be disguised with rocks and such...and the piles of dirt are filled with weeds. Phases III & IV (streambed/waterfall & wetlands) are expected to be finished next year.

Still, wildlife has come to explore the area, especially once it was filled with water. I recall seeing a water strider a day or two after filling it. The deer were often around, and a bear stopped by...but I had a visitor almost two weeks ago, that I didn't really expect--it happened on my birthday no less--a blue heron.

Now, I really didn't get to see it. I heard it. After getting home from work, I was walking the property. As, I approached the top of the slope leading to my pond, I heard the rush of wings as it took off. I knew immediately that it was a heron--now that I think of it, the beating of wings may have been accompanied by a call of alarm. By the time I made it to slope, all I really saw was the blur of color as it made it flew off.

Our game cams batteries had died, and I hadn't replaced them. With all of the rain, weeds had grown up to block them anyway. However, today Jeff was able to access the security cameras that we have aimed in that direction. The video isnt very clear, but I'm thrilled to have it and share it. ***after trying to upload it unsuccessfully a couple of times--"invalid file"-- here are some screenshots :

Attachment 46202

Attachment 46203

Attachment 46204

Attachment 46205
Nice! The initial rewards of strenuous and time demanding project are always so sweet!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2018, 09:25 AM   #3

I can imagine the rewards I will get once it is complete--the beauty of the nature-inspired water features, the native plants that thrive there, and the multitude of beautiful creatures that come to visit or make their homes there.

I look forward to getting some quality photos.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 11-17-2018, 09:45 AM   #4

Not wildlife, but, I am enjoying other surprises that having a pond can bring.
What Wildlife Ponds Attract...-20181115_143413.jpg

What Wildlife Ponds Attract...-20181115_143514.jpg

What Wildlife Ponds Attract...-20181115_150426.jpg
Old 11-17-2018, 10:32 AM   #5
Great Horned Owl

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Not wildlife, but, I am enjoying other surprises that having a pond can bring.
Attachment 46209

Attachment 46210

Attachment 46211
Great pictures that show there is beauty in all phases of nature. Glad I'm not there to be seeing it live, however. I like the warmer weather at this time of year, ha ha!!

Oracle at Delphi
jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 11:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack View Post
Great pictures that show there is beauty in all phases of nature. Glad I'm not there to be seeing it live, however. I like the warmer weather at this time of year, ha ha!!
I'm glad you can enjoy it from the warmth of Florida.

I realize that the pond attracts me...I am drawn to it to see how it changes. So, I may not be wildlife, but I guess I fit this thread.

I was fascinated by the tree branch like patterns after the snow fell upon the ice.
Old 11-22-2018, 10:48 PM   #7
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Mother natures paintings.
I think the little tree like breaks would make for a pretty neat framed picture

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2018, 09:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Mother natures paintings.
I think the little tree like breaks would make for a pretty neat framed picture
~smile~

Thanks.

Tags
attract, ponds, wildlife