Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > General Gardening Boards > Rain Gardens

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2017, 11:58 AM   #1
Grub

Default Overlook Falls is back in business!

It was easy to hook it back up and get everything going again. I didn't realize how much I missed it until I had it all started back up. And I'm happy to report that the blue flag iris I planted last year survived the winter!

Here we have northern cardinal, yellow-rumped warbler, and American robin.
Attached Thumbnails
Overlook Falls is back in business!-noca.jpg   Overlook Falls is back in business!-yrwa.jpg   Overlook Falls is back in business!-amro.jpg  
gymell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Oh how nice!!!
I cleaned the leaves from mine last week. The water's fairly clear now with the new fallen rain. What a bright robin! I've a pair that come almost daily to drink..One especially likes to bath in the shallow end. The other keeps watch from a nearby rock. Morning doves just love to waltz in and out of the nearby thicket for a sip. They can lean and reach the fresh water were-as the smaller species tend to drink from an area where nearby moss reaches over the brink and on down to the water level .

Our bird species have been arriving day by day. It's sure nice to see them again. The red wings today, two days ago the red poles. Previous to that, the purple martins and a whole lot more.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:12 AM   #3
Grub

My mourning doves really congregate around it too. I actually kept a heated bird bath and an aerator down at the lowest level all winter, which worked pretty well. I had taken the pump out, so it was just standing water. I put the pump in and reconnected everything late last month.

Unfortunately within the last day or so it seems to have sprung a leak somewhere. I filled it up yesterday morning, and it was half empty when I got home. Filled it up again last night and this morning it looked like this. So I'm going to have to figure out what's going on!
Attached Thumbnails
Overlook Falls is back in business!-water.jpg  
Old 04-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #4

froggie

Is that last falls suppose to top off the pebbles then on into the black pump pot to recirculate?
Perhaps the wind is blowing its spray out and lowering your levels?

Originally Mine was to have a fountain but it wasn't meant to be living at the end of the road...basically a small wind tunnel! It worked out way better for me though as without the fountain, calm water, which allowed me the water lilies ~..~ In turn, the frogs!

Old 04-19-2017, 07:49 AM   #5
Grub

Yeah, it's a pondless waterfall. However the last level fills up and shouldn't be empty like that. I think there was some debris clogging up the hose somewhere, which I managed to clear out. Maybe some mud or leaves got up in there. I ran some water through and tightened up some areas. Everything is working again!
Old 04-19-2017, 10:56 AM   #6

YEY No leaks. Couldn't see how you would have gotten them having the lower unit filled and heated throughout the Winter.
Now had you left it filled without the heat or something to counter act the swelling of ice (like a log or a empty milk jug) to absorb the expansion....Sometimes that may have happened.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #7
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

More great shots!

You must be thrilled to have it up and running again. Plenty more visitors to look forward to.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 10:51 AM   #8
Grub

Yeah, it's nice having it going again. It's a bit cool and rainy now, not so many visitors as during the dry spell we had.
Old 04-27-2017, 12:57 PM   #9

Pulled leaf debri out of mine twice already and hope to install the pump and filters once it warms a little more. So far the water lilies are still dormant.

Old 04-29-2017, 08:48 PM   #10
Fox

Oh I'm glad Gymell, you didn't have the more serious 'pond leak'.

ww

Tags
back, business, falls, overlook