Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Preserving the Harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 12:13 AM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Food dehydrator mistake #1

Don't try to dehydrate parsley in a dehydrator.... at least not in an excaliber model. The fans inside the dehydrator blow the parsley toward the door and it falls through other trays to the bottom. I had better luck hanging parsley upside down inside a paper bag and it dried out on its own hanging from a valance rod in my kitchen in just a couple of weeks.
Old 12-16-2010, 03:44 AM   #2
Lungwort

Good to know! For me sometimes the spices fly to the back of my excaliber, but I do like how its a tray and not round with a part in the middle.
maricybele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
WG Facilitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
The fans inside the dehydrator blow the parsley toward the door and it falls through other trays to the bottom.
Dry all your herbs together, then scoop up what's at the bottom and you've just invented a "custom spice mix".
Old 12-18-2010, 04:09 AM   #4
Official Plant Nerd

The dehydrator I had before this one was round. A friend gave it to me. It seemed to work fine for me until.... it torched when this kitten we got chewed through the cord but... I'd only used it like twice. The excaliber has waaaay more space so I've started playing with it big time and.... I set it on a counter in front of an outlet so I could ram the cord behind it... I'd be really mad if Ignatz chewed through the cord on my new toy. I'm thinking some of my problems with the parsley blowing to the front were self inflected.... I kept lifting off the front to "peek" and maybe I shoulda just left things be. biig> next time I try herbs.... I'll send you the custom creation.

Tags
dehydrate, dehydrated, dehydrating food, dehydration tips, dehydrator, dried, dried parsley, dry, drying herbs, drying parsley, excaliber, excaliber dyhydrator, food, food dehydrator, food dhydration, food preservation, herb, herbs, mistake, parsley, preservation, tips