Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Preserving the Harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2010, 03:14 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

banana Anybody dehydrate bananas?

I've got a problem. I tried dehydrating bananas. I dipped half in sodium bisulfite and half in lemon juice and I ended up with a blotched gooed mess that I ended up pitching in the composter after I lost a bunch of fingernails scraping it off the screens. I dehydrated em for 10 hours at 130 which is exactly what all the directions I found called for and we're taking a huge mess. I had em cut to precision at 1/4". Tops seemed ok.... bottoms weren't dehydrated. I'm soooooooooooo frustrated. If I can't get this to work for bananas.... I'm gonna have trouble getting it to work for my peaches and pears next year.
Attached Thumbnails
Anybody dehydrate bananas?-img_4638.jpg   Anybody dehydrate bananas?-img_4639.jpg  
Old 12-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Maybe you needed to spray the screens with something first?

What about mashing them on purpose and make a batch of banana fruit roll ups instead.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 04:50 PM   #3
Official Plant Nerd

I dunno what I did wrong. I did everything by the book. I've been poking around on this and I found out something interesting.... the banana chips we buy in bags are dehydrated 1st then fried.... I checked it out.... it's true. I still don't get how you scrape them off those screens without destroying the screens and I'm thinking mashing them would make it even worse.... I'd get stuck with mashed nanners on the screens. I had to soak em and rehydrate the bananas to get em off. I still need to figure out what I'm doing wrong and maybe you hit it on the head.... wipe some olive oil on the screens before trying to dry nanners again. Olive oil's better than canola oil. It's worth a shot so I don't have to feed the composter good food and since the undersides were mushy.... maybe I could even flip em 1/2 way through???
Old 12-10-2010, 05:50 PM   #4
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

banana

I find these subjects so amusing because we always have bananas in the kitchen and I just grab one and eat it ripe. Or if they're getting past their prime, cut them up and put yogurt on top and eat. Or really too ripe, fruit smoothie. Why would I take a perfectly good banana and take all that time to NOT eat it now?

:::the less time I spend in the kitchen, the more time I have left for life outside the kitchen:::
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 05:54 PM   #5

Equill there is a special FLAT tray you use instead of a screen to make fruit roll ups!
If yours didn't come with one maybe you could use parchment paper or something of the sort OVER your screens.

Old 12-10-2010, 10:42 PM   #6
WG Facilitator

Yours is a brand new one? I'm sure you checked the instructions on whether you need to wash, or oil, or anything special before you use it?

I see that they will darken slightly, and be leathery when warm, but should be crunchy when cool.

I wouldn't expect the 'nanners to be like the fried chips, but they shouldn't be a gooey mess. Once they're completely, they would probably come off easier, but that's just a guess.

Sorry - I'm no help - jerkey and orange slices are all I've done so far.

Do you get bananas often? I see that you can make fruit leather with bananas, but you'd need that solid screen or wax/parchment paper for that.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Do you get bananas often? I see that you can make fruit leather with bananas, but you'd need that solid screen or wax/parchment paper for that.
That's exactly what I've suggested for her to make instead...Fruit roll ups using the flat drying tray.

Old 12-11-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
WG Operations, Facilitator

I have a flat solid tray that fits on top of the screens to make fruit rollups.

I've mostly done peppers, tomatoes and other vegetables in my dehydrator. I rotate the trays every so often while they are drying, and shake them a bit so things don't stick.

I've never oiled or sprayed Pam on the screens. I've never had a sticking problem.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
Official Plant Nerd

Sage>"Why would I take a perfectly good banana and take all that time to NOT eat it now? " For us.... we're like you and always have them laying around for fresh snacks or to add to cereal or yogurt. The ones that get a little over ripe I use for banana bread as long as they're not too far gone. I was thinking of adding banana chips to my home made granola and I make a trail mix out of hazelnuts and pecans I thought I could toss them in. I sometimes add sunflower or pumpkin seeds and raisins or carob chips and what ever's handy to the trail mix and they take it camping with them.... I'm really trying to get my family OFF processed foods. The other deal is I'm watching my bills at the grocery store going up up up and I'm not losing my mind since I've been shopping at the same grocery store forever. My bet is we're paying 30% more this year over last year and.... I was talking to hazelnut and she said she's gone up more than me and she said she's not losing her mind either since she's a vegetarian and buys pretty much the same thing every week. She said she went from $100 to $135-$145. That's not chunk change for 1 person. Something else is.... I won't be able to grow citrus, mango, guava, papaya, pineapple, star fruit, plums (problem with a neighbor and black knot), avacado, or taro.... and we eat all of them so I'm hoping I can buy it on sale or in season and dehydrate it. I'm also thinking I can buy fresh produce from local markets come next summer and stockpile when it's cheap. You'd be surprised how once you add a little water they all **pop** back to life and so far I'm not noticing any texture or flavor loss at all.
hava> he bought me two flat trays over and above for me to use playing with bokashi but.... we don't eat fruit rollups or leathers... I don't even think I know what fruit leathers are. I'll try after I'm done playing but.... if nobody eats them.... you'll get stuck with them.
biig> brand new!!! I swear I followed the directions on bananas straight from the book and those directions were the same as what I found online. I think maybe I'll call excaliber's customer service and see if they've got any ideas.
4B> I didn't have to rotate the trays on the carrots or green beans but I did on the onions... go figure>>>? I'm totally in play mode right now. So far I've done carrots, green beans, onions, and bananas and I'm good to go on everything except the bananas. Nothing's stuck except them so I'll pick up another 12 lbs and try again doing what hava said greasing the trays with olive oil. This weekend I'm gonna try cauliflower for sure. The following weekend maybe broccoli or zucchini. I want to try a different fruit or veggie every weekend until I get it right. I want to learn now over winter while I've got the extra time before spring hits when I really start running around like a chicken with my head cut off.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:21 AM   #10

Fruit leather is, dried mashed fruits instead of sliced and dried. Roll ups are just curled up leather.
Did I hear you right the other day that you reboiled your carrots before you dehydrate them. How'd they turn out?
Don't forget, you can also dehydrate mushrooms!

I like to make my own chicken soup mixture of dehydrated veggies. All you need to do is boil the chicken, add the bouillon and the dried veggies and its meal ready. You can even toss in a few noodles, rice or barley to the mix.

Tags
banana, bananas, carrots, cooking oil, dehydrate, dehydrating, dehydration, dehydrator, directions, dry, drying, edibles, food, food preservation, fruit, ideas, oil, peppers, pointers, procedure, stick, sticking, sticky, tips, tomatoes