Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Preserving the Harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2013, 02:17 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default Fruit fly control sorta fits under this forum.... I think... ;)

What I’ve got here is 2 store bought traps and a homemade fruit fly trap. The fruit fly trap on the left is Contech’s trap, Fruit Fly Trap | Planet Natural. The fruit fly trap on the right is Terro’s trap, Ant Problem? Terro = Ant Control Solutions. Those 2 store bought traps come with lures and you can reuse both of those traps as long as you buy more lure. The fruit fly trap in the middle is my homemade creation which I “baited” with some apple cider vinegar and little pieces of banana. Guess which 1 of the 3 works the best>>>? If you guessed my homemade trap…. You guessed right. By leaps and bounds my DIY fruit fly trap baited with apple cider vinegar and bananas past their prime is blowing the 2 commercial products out of the water!!!
--
I got the original idea for my fruit fly trap from Instructables, Easy Fruit Fly Trap. Then I found this and just sorta expanded on what she did, Little Farm in the City: Fruit Fly Trap - Cheap and Chemical Free!. I read what she typed about being a poor housekeeper for having fruit flies and laughed because I actually almost didn’t start this thread for the same reason but I guess fruit flies… like flies…. just happen, “I hesitated posting this because I'm basically admitting we've got bugs all over the kitchen here on the Little Farm. It makes me seem like a pretty poor housekeeper...but here it is anyway.” For my trap…. I ended up adding masking tape around the edge of where the yellow construction paper meets the jar because well…. fruit flies are really small and they were escaping where the paper funnel wasn’t flush with the sides of the jar. So far my DIY fruit fly trap is still out performing the other 2 traps and I don’t have to keep buying lures to use mine since everything I’ve been sticking in it to attract the fruit flies is pretty common. Here’s hoping this helps anyone else whose got fruit flies in their kitchen!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Fruit fly control sorta fits under this forum.... I think... ;)-img_2839.jpg   Fruit fly control sorta fits under this forum.... I think... ;)-img_2831.jpg  

Last edited by Equilibrium; 08-11-2013 at 02:23 PM. Reason: oopsie.... typo.... meant 2 not to
Equilibrium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #2
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

I thought fruit flies came free with the fruit! Hate those little buggers!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
Grub

Yay!

Tags
control, fits, fly, forum, fruit, sorta