Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Enjoying The Fruits of our Labor > Preserving the Harvest

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
Official Plant Nerd

Default What the H E double hockey sticks is going on with LDS Canneries>>>>?

I was scheduled to go in 2x this fall. Family canning is fun…. you get to hang with wholesome people and you socialize while you’re working so we’re talking the time literally flies not to mention….. you get to buy some of what you can and I pick up excellent tips on growing different varieties of veggies and people share family recipes with me. This Mormon gal I met a coupla years ago lets me “bounce” ideas off her and gives me a heads up when there’s a group scheduled to can that I can hop in with just called me AT WORK and told me the cannery isn’t going to be letting any of us can anything onsite anymore and no more bulk purchases…. like powdered milk. She’s a friend now… I know her well enough that she’s not somebody who would make something up like this and she wouldn’t be the type to pull an April Fool’s day joke on me any day other than April 1st sooooo…. I called. Something’s up because they’re not taking any more appointments and they won’t be able to honor any groups after June. I hate to say this but…. WTF!!!!! There is ABSOLUTELY POSITIVELY NO WAY her Church would have done this to us “little people” trying to become more self-reliant so…… how exactly did it happen that canneries that used to let people come together to can aren’t going to be doing that anymore>>>? All I can find online so far is that YouTube and this link that’s dead….. http://198.58.100.27/breaking-news-l...-halt-canning/, there’s an “error” establishing the database….. so basically…. it went ***poof*** and all that’s left in forums is mention of ALL canneries west of the Mississippi and there’s no announcement from the LDS Church about this anywhere that I could find. I’m screwed out of a brain trust AND a place to learn how to put up food in bulk and a place to buy in bulk cheap….. actually….. everybody who canned at the cannery is going to be TOTALLY screwed. So much for helping and.... getting help preserving the harvest!!!!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
WG Facilitator

I found a short article on an upcoming change in their policies. Not sure if this is any better than what you found, because I didn't (and won't) watch the video. Hope it helps.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...cy.html?pg=all

Quote:
The church is not closing canneries and is not limiting the variety of goods available to church members," she said. The only thing being reduced over time is the number of locations at which members can purchase bulk food and can it themselves onsite.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

So it's limited to Mormons. Are you converting, Lib?
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
Heron

The church of Latter Day Saints=LDS or Mormon church for the forum
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #5
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

Mormons store food so we are prepared to care for ourselves, our families, & neighbors in the event of emergency; we understand basic human needs must be met before we can think about spiritual matters. Food storage insures those needs are met-
https://www.lds.org/topics/food-storage

Canneries aren't limited to Mormons; different canneries will differ in policy regarding non-Mormon use of facilities. Locate a cannery; call first-
http://providentliving.org/self-reli...s-map?lang=eng

Equilibrium-

You have Mormon friends. Calm yourself will you; here is the Church’s announcement-
http://ldsliving.com/story/72454-setting-it-straight-lds-home-storage-centers-tweaking-cannery-policy-not-closing-canneries

"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 06:03 AM   #6
Grub

Hmmm. Had tried a couple times to find one local to me with no joy. Maybe this is why.

Seems like there may be an opportunity to purchase some used equipment less expensively, or for some enterprising individual(s) to set up secular home canning centers. That gear is NOT cheap when new.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:22 AM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

Ha ha ha…. I DO have Mormon friends…. some in high places and…. I’m proof you Mormons will let anyone use your canneries!!!! Seriously though…. I worked with a man who was Mormon and his wife got me going on 1 week’s worth of a pantry and she took me to the cannery. I think it’s easier if we “heathens” go with someone who is Mormon but….. by me…. you don’t have. All I had to do was call ahead and find out when a group was canning and they’d let me know if they needed help…. either they did or…. they didn’t. If they didn’t…. I could still place an order for bulk and go pick it up. Where I go…. they take checks and cash. I heard some of them take credit cards but…. I wouldn’t count on it unless you ask 1st.
--
I dunno what to think about that “announcement”….. looks like we’’ll still be able to buy #10 cans. I never bought their cans though…. I started buying bulk wheat from them when Sam’s Club stopped selling it in 25# bags and powdered milk because the cost of shipping it was just too high. I was putting what I bought in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers myself and it doesn’t look like they’re gonna be selling bulk anymore. BTW….. my other Mormon friend never told me they were closing canneries….. she just told me the canneries weren’t going to be letting groups can anymore and evidently that’s true… at least for the cannery by me because I called and…. biig’s link has an expansion of what’s at the link you posted, "Over time, we will be reducing the number of facilities where the packaging of dry goods occurs," LDS spokeswoman Ruth Todd said Monday. However, she added, the church's "home storage centers will offer the same or additional commodities in pre-packaged form, at no additional cost."

Todd’s statement comes as a result of questions from a number of different media sources following a blog post asserting that "LDS canneries east of the Mississippi will no longer be canning any food at their facilities beginning June 27, 2013."

Todd could not speak specifically to that claim, indicating only that “the change from self-service canning to pre-packaged commodities occurs over time and depends on what goods are available at each individual facility.” That means no more wet canning AND no more dry canning and no more bulk…. their canneries aren’t going to be canneries anymore…. they’re gonna be reduced to a sales only operation and what they’re able to sell won’t be in 25# and 50# bags anymore that folk wanting to start up pantries can put up at home or at “canneries”. I’ve got my 3 mos pantry but….. what about all the pantry newbies? What sucks even more is….. if I’d known…. I woulda exchanged my name and number with more of the people there.
--
Oh oh oh…. I found a cached version of that link I tried to get to that must have been what went ***poof** and my bet is she’s a Mormon and didn’t want to step on any toes so she pulled it herself especially since she boo booed and wrote west of the Mississippi instead of East of the Mississippi, Breaking News: LDS Canneries to HALT Canning! |, “As is supported by the announcement to the left in part, LDS Canneries will no longer be canning any food at their facilities beginning June 27th, 2013. Insiders who are closely involved with these actions tell me that this will encompass “west of the Mississippi” and that the reason for such a startling action is because they are no longer able to justify the abhorrent costs to keep in compliance with the ever-changing criteria set forth by the U.S. Department of Agriculture and the Food and Drug Administration…. What’s a cannery that doesn’t can anything? Well, apparently it’s just a center now in which people will be able to check out the #10 canners for a few days at a time and can dry goods in their own home now or they’ll be able to purchase pre-packaged goods that will be canned in the more robust facilities in the Western States which will no doubt bear the burden of the cost to be shipped now to the Eastern states. However, several interviews made it clear to me that there’s an active intent by these government entities to shut down ALL LDS Canneries ALL over the U.S. including the ability to purchase foods in bulk and that there’s a targeted time table by the government entities to have this accomplished at the end of the next two years…. What Will the Official Announcement Say?....Remember the hoopla that happened last year in which the FBI was reported to have popped in at an LDS Cannery demanding to see a list of all of their patrons? Well, I conducted personal interviews on that matter as well, and I’m certain that there was such an incident, but it was easily handled in such as way so as not to ruffle any government or LDS member feathers. The story was quickly put to rest as it was easily able to since there were so few persons involved to manage. But when there’s a change like this that’s undeniable and obvious to SO many patrons of so many locations—well that’s a little more difficult to soft shoe and conceal. However, I’m certain that the official announcements from the LDS Church will not including any grousing about a bothersome Big Brother interference when they do…. Millions of persons have benefited from the canning services offered at the LDS Canneries all over the U.S. as the LDS Church does not require that a person be a member of their church to participate”
--
You might want to read that in its entirety quick fast because a cached version won’t be available to ordinary folk like us forever. I think when I get home on Sunday I’m gonna poke around a little more and see what I can find on this because now that I think about it…. the little place where I go to get meat chickens processed had an inspector “monitoring” their operations the last 2x I was there. She didn’t look like a pleasant person. I’d never seen any inspector there before and…. I overheard how she wanted to be given their processing dates in advance…. that tells me she wants to “monitor” them some more…. what’s she doing…. waiting for them to slip up on some new or obscure regulation so she can write em up>>>>? And remember all this crap that started surfacing last year, 'Feeding The Homeless BANNED In Major Cities All Over America', Feeding The Homeless BANNED In Major Cities All Over America, "Sadly, feeding the homeless has been banned in major cities all over America. Other cities that have not banned it outright have put so many requirements on those that want to feed the homeless (acquiring expensive permits, taking food preparation courses, etc.) that feeding the homeless has become "out of reach" for most average people. Some cities are doing these things because they are concerned about the "health risks" of the food being distributed by ordinary "do-gooders"….This is just another example that shows that our country is being taken over by control freaks. There seems to be this idea out there that it is the job of the government to take care of everyone and that nobody else should even try…..But do we really want to have a nation where you have to get the permission of the government before you do good to your fellow man?....It isn't as if the government has "rescued" these homeless people. Homeless shelters all over the nation are turning people away each night because they have no more room….Sometimes a well-timed sandwich or a cup of warm soup can make a world of difference for a homeless person. But many U.S. cities have decided that feeding the homeless is such a threat that they had better devote law enforcement resources to making sure that it doesn't happen.” Twisted….. totally twisted….. we let feral cats “congregate” and we can feed feral cats anything we want throughout the nation but…. no no no….. don’t be trying to feed any human beings food from our own kitchens or food from church kitchens…. oh horrrrrrors. Anywhoooo….. now I’m starting to think there’s some sort of a connection after reading that cached version of that woman’s take on what’s going on with the LDS canneries. I bet they’re getting “squeezed” out of business….. as in regulated beyond the point of no return because….. God forbid people grow more of their own food and put it up and God forbid we look out for each other.
Old 05-10-2013, 09:55 AM   #8
WG's Mr. Tomato Head

I see your point.
"If gardening isn't a pleasure for you, chances are the work will merely give you a rotten disposition. If you'd rather be golfing or fishing, get a bumper sticker that says so, and forget gardening."
Elsa Bakalar
WG Admin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canneries, canneries>>>>, canning, double, hockey, lds, morman, sticks