Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2012, 06:57 AM   #11
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
I'm not completely certain, but I believe that this cut little orb weaver could be Mangora placida - see Mangora placida photo - Tom Murray photos at pbase.com
I have several closer shots that I was going to post in the bug ID thread, but it'll have to wait until tomorrow. See ya then!
Old 04-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Beautiful photo.

I'm not familiar with blue cohosh...but, will likely recognize it now should I stumble across it.
Thanks!

I hope you find it, as it is an interesting plant, but keep in mind that it doesn't look like it does in my photo for very long. It quickly loses the dark red and bluish green tints as it comes up. The individual flowers are tiny, maybe 1/3 of an inch across and turn to a greenish yellow and the flower cluster expands into a widely-spread loose cluster. The foliage is just an average green that looks like Meadow Rue (Thalictrum genus) foliage, which is where the species name, thalictroides, comes from.

I walked past them for many years without seeing them. Once I knew what they looked like, I saw them in places I'd been without seeing them in the past. Look for them in the best-quality, richest woods, as they seem to need relatively high-quality surroundings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
John, the colors and composition in that picture are sublime. That's a good thing.
Thanks, glad you like that shot.

John
Old 04-09-2012, 08:49 AM   #13
Official Plant Nerd

Niiiice photos. Here's hoping you 2 duke it out this month playing dueling photos or something.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:20 AM   #14
Heron

Hopefully we'll see entries from lots of people. This is a month when there's tons of new stuff to photograph as spring really kicks in, so everyone should get out with their camera. The big advantage of digital cameras is that it essentially costs nothing to click the shutter, as opposed to the days of film, so take lots and lots of photos!

John
Old 04-10-2012, 08:06 PM   #15
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdenk View Post
Thanks!

I hope you find it, as it is an interesting plant, but keep in mind that it doesn't look like it does in my photo for very long. It quickly loses the dark red and bluish green tints as it comes up. The individual flowers are tiny, maybe 1/3 of an inch across and turn to a greenish yellow and the flower cluster expands into a widely-spread loose cluster. The foliage is just an average green that looks like Meadow Rue (Thalictrum genus) foliage, which is where the species name, thalictroides, comes from.

I walked past them for many years without seeing them. Once I knew what they looked like, I saw them in places I'd been without seeing them in the past. Look for them in the best-quality, richest woods, as they seem to need relatively high-quality surroundings.
Sounds great...I like meadow rue.

I'll keep my eyes open for it.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 07:52 PM   #16
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhhh Saaaage.... how's this>>>>? Did I have a horseshoe up my rear or what when I got that photo yesterday!!!
Attached Thumbnails
~APRIL 2012 Photo of the Month Contest~-img_8781.jpg  
Old 04-16-2012, 07:56 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Did I have a horseshoe up my rear or what when I got that photo yesterday!!!
Beautiful photo, Lib. I think I'm finally getting "horseshoe up your rear" saying. (Although, it still doesn't sound too lucky to me. )
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 04-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #18
WG Operations, Facilitator

Equilibrium-
Is that a hummingbird moth in your photo? Beautiful!
Old 04-17-2012, 08:46 PM   #19
Fox

It's that time again...

~APRIL 2012 Photo of the Month Contest~-great-054a.jpg~APRIL 2012 Photo of the Month Contest~-scarr-013.jpg
Old 04-17-2012, 09:26 PM   #20

Nice, Bulucanagria, very nice.

Tags
2012, april, camera, contest, enter, entry, free contest, march, month, photo, photo contest, photo entries, photograph, photographer, photography contest, photos, pictures, pom, potm, thread