Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2012, 06:43 PM   #41
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdenk View Post
Yes, that used to be a pancake breakfast using maple syrup they made there at Pilcher Park, but over the years, it's grown to the point where they couldn't make anywhere near enough syrup for the breakfast, and the city lawyers were also concerned about meeting health code standards, so it's just an annual breakfast to raise money for the nature museum there as state funding has disappeared. I went to their first breakfast back in the mid-1970's and have been going pretty much every year since. It's become a family tradition, and my daughter and her two sons were there with me yesterday.

They do still tap the maples just to show how maple syrup is made, still have the "sugar shack" with the big boiler. The volunteers that work at the nature center get the maple syrup made there.

By the way, if you remember the show Prison Break on Fox, they used the Pilcher Park maple syrup shack in the show.

Sad they can't make enough and there are concerns about health codes...but nice that you made it a family tradition.

I never watched Prison Break, but will keep it in mind if we feel like catching up on something.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:34 PM   #42
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Maple syrup's the best...
Hate, hate hate the gookie stuff stores try and pawn off as syrup.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:22 AM   #43
Heron

Yeah, I now vastly prefer the real thing, but I will use the fake stuff if that's the only option. I never tasted real maple syrup until I was an adult, so I grew up thinking the fake stuff was good. I guess that's made me more tolerant of it.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:24 AM   #44
The Bug Whisperer

'Roses are red,
Violets purple,
Sugar's sweet,
So's maple syrple'... (paraphrasing songwriter Roger Miller)

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:50 AM   #45

~March 2012 POM Entry Thread~-dscf3748.jpg
How capable some forms of life are at blending themselves into their environment.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdenk View Post
Yeah, I now vastly prefer the real thing, but I will use the fake stuff if that's the only option. I never tasted real maple syrup until I was an adult, so I grew up thinking the fake stuff was good. I guess that's made me more tolerant of it.
I will eat the fake stuff at restaurants on occassion...but, I normally make some comment to Jeff when I do. I don't think he grew up with real maple syrup, but I know he loves it too. I guess we don't eat pancakes that often, but when we do, we want the real thing.

I like to put it in my tea (the rare times I drink tea)...and I could drink the stuff (the maple syrup).
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-29-2012, 08:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Attachment 28793
How capable some forms of life are at blending themselves into their environment.
Hey, that has nothing to do with maple syrup! What is this thread about again anyway?

Nice photo--do you have an underwater camera?
Old 03-30-2012, 08:34 AM   #48
The Bug Whisperer

Marching on...
Attached Thumbnails
~March 2012 POM Entry Thread~-100_5263.jpg   ~March 2012 POM Entry Thread~-100_5260.jpg   ~March 2012 POM Entry Thread~-100_5266.jpg   ~March 2012 POM Entry Thread~-100_5322.jpg  

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 08:44 AM   #49
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Attachment 28793
A very cool shot! Where did you take that? You must be somewhere tropical, which sounds great this cool, rainy morning.

Suunto, those are some really pretty shots, very Spring-ish, other than the old Turkey Tails. The Turkey Tail shot is a cool one, a very nice pattern.
Old 03-30-2012, 09:52 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Hey, that has nothing to do with maple syrup! What is this thread about again anyway?
Nice photo--do you have an underwater camera?
Did our little zombie boy get lost? But only for a moment huh. I take a trek to the head every now and then myself to see which thread I'm in.

No underwater camera and a kind of a yes to you Jpdenk if somewhere tropical means down in California for a week.
It really wasn't much warmer there than here. They were going through a cold spell and we were going through a warm spell at the time.

Matter of fact....We're getting a bit of that cold weather right NOW. There's a blizzard swirling about the home as we speak.
Just yesterday, I finished planting the underground veggies and the native seedlings I received from Jack, Booboo and Amelanchier !
Quote:
Marching on...
Oh Suunto you are quite the character....I made the connection! Nice little fella stuffing its face right smack dab into the floral!

Tags
2012, camera, enter, entry, free contest, march, march 2012, nature, nature photos, photo contest, photo entries, photograph, photographer, pictures, pom, thread