Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #31
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ahhh I actually found it... It doesn't look like much of anything in the photo.
I can picture it looking better nestled into the ground up to where the log starts to hide the fake looking rocks at its base. 27" Capricorn Fountain at Menards

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:44 PM   #32
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
You caught that ha?
Yup, I'm not as dim as I may seem.

Quote:
I do not have a link so to speak as it was at a local store... I'll do a comp. search to see if I can find it.
I'll do that.

Quote:
You're about as good at starting that project as I am about getting a camera. It'll happen.
...and, finally, I beg to differ! I had no problem *starting* the project--I dug the hole last year (and spent the years before collecting appropriate rocks for the project). So, all I should have to do, is tweak the hole that is dug, line it with old carpet, install the liner--all fairly easy to accomplish-- and then, arrange the rocks to make it look fantastic (that is what has me putting it off a bit...that and the fact that so many other projects/things are taking priority)! ~smile~
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~

Last edited by dapjwy; 03-24-2012 at 12:45 PM. Reason: Adding "~smile~"--Somehow I hit something on the keyboard that posted it while trying to type it!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:49 PM   #33

Quote:
Ahhh I actually found it... It doesn't look like much of anything in the photo.
I can picture it looking better nestled into the ground up to where the log starts to hide the fake looking rocks at its base. 27" Capricorn Fountain at Menards
Thank you for saving me the time of searching.

I do plan to add some decorative driftwood, if I can make it look natural...but that seems a bit too small for what I have pictured. It will still inspire me to create something (I hope) that looks natural--at least from one or two angles...if I can't make it look right a 360 degrees.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-24-2012, 01:52 PM   #34

I'd most definitely haul in a larger log than THAT!
It was but a mere drop in the bucket Errrrr creek so to say.

Quote:
All I have to do, is tweak the hole, line it with carpet, install the liner--all fairly easy to accomplish-- Here Here and then arrange the rocks to make it look fantastic.
Exactly...You can add the rocks next year when you have the time. Think of all the little critters that will be using it in the meantime.

Old 03-24-2012, 02:50 PM   #35

Quote:
You can add the rocks next year when you have the time. Think of all the little critters that will be using it in the meantime.
I guess so, but I don't want it to look like an eyesore (to me anyway) while I wait. Then again, had I done it late last fall, who knows what would've come to it with our mild winter.

I think my other thought was regarding a pump...I want any tubing set up so that I don't have to rework any rocks--I don't have money for a pump right now...so, I've let that keep me from it too. I gotta get over all of that and get SOMETHING there...then I can tweak it as needed.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:28 PM   #36
Heron

I was at Pilcher Park in Joliet, IL yesterday for their annual pancake breakfast, and usually, there isn't much to see in the woods there in late March, but this year everything that is normally blooming in mid-to-late April was blooming, including the large numbers of Virginia Bluebells. Here's a shot of one that was nestled nicely at the base of a tree.

John

~March 2012 POM Entry Thread~-mertensia-dsc_2311.jpg
Old 03-26-2012, 04:55 PM   #37

Ohhhh That is one beautiful plant!
Pure beauty in its finest!

Old 03-26-2012, 05:27 PM   #38
Heron

Yes, they are spectacularly attractive plants, and that one posed really nicely too.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:31 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdenk View Post
I was at Pilcher Park in Joliet, IL yesterday for their annual pancake breakfast, and usually, there isn't much to see in the woods there in late March, but this year everything that is normally blooming in mid-to-late April was blooming, including the large numbers of Virginia Bluebells. Here's a shot of one that was nestled nicely at the base of a tree.

John
Beautiful shot there, John!

Yum! pancake breakfast! That brings back memories...my parents used to take us to maple festivals as kids...and pancake breakfasts were part of it, at least sometimes.
Old 03-26-2012, 06:11 PM   #40
Heron

Yes, that used to be a pancake breakfast using maple syrup they made there at Pilcher Park, but over the years, it's grown to the point where they couldn't make anywhere near enough syrup for the breakfast, and the city lawyers were also concerned about meeting health code standards, so it's just an annual breakfast to raise money for the nature museum there as state funding has disappeared. I went to their first breakfast back in the mid-1970's and have been going pretty much every year since. It's become a family tradition, and my daughter and her two sons were there with me yesterday.

They do still tap the maples just to show how maple syrup is made, still have the "sugar shack" with the big boiler. The volunteers that work at the nature center get the maple syrup made there.

By the way, if you remember the show Prison Break on Fox, they used the Pilcher Park maple syrup shack in the show.

Tags
2012, camera, enter, entry, free contest, march, march 2012, nature, nature photos, photo contest, photo entries, photograph, photographer, pictures, pom, thread