Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2012, 09:44 AM   #21
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I've never seen so many cranes in flight!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:07 AM   #22
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
John - Great shot of the cranes in flight. There's usually a pair or two that nest in my neighbor's marshy area. I never tire of their unique vocalizations. It always conjures up images of some ancient landscape full of prehistoric creatures.
Thanks! Your description of their sound reminds me of hearing them in a pine swamp where they nested near my aunt and uncle's home out in the wilds near Ocean Springs, Mississippi when I was a kid. They were the now-endangered sub-species from that area, and I remember waking up early in the morning hearing their calls coming in through the window. We rarely saw them, just heard them, off in the swamp.
Old 03-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #23
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdenk View Post
I cropped this shot a lot to keep the birds big enough to see some detail. The original, un-cropped photo has a lot more birds, but when I shrink it down enough to post here, it loses a lot of impact, so I opted for this version. Anyway, these are Sandhill Cranes that were circling over the Bartel Grassland on March 13. I was there to photograph the burn crew who was doing this year's burn, and flock after flock of cranes was flying over, many circling fairly low overhead and about 200 landed at the west end, but eventually left, probably due to the burn crew being a little too close for their comfort.

John
Wow! Very cool.

Maybe you can post the uncropped version as well just to give us an idea of the sheer quantity you witnessed. It doesn't have to count as an entry.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitcatclub View Post
Dap, not to get all nanny-like on you, but please be careful moving those rocks. Doing that was a contributing factor to my back problems (being stubborn and not waiting for help was another, LOL! I'm sure you would NEVER do that!) We had our pond installed by a pond company and they did a great job. Had to save up for it but it was worth every penny!
Thank you for your concern, Kitcat...I know you are right. Don't think for one second that it didn't occur to me that I could injure myself (or worse) and then how would I get my (life-long) project "done" (closer to completion...or to a satisfactory state, I mean--I'm sure my restoration project will never really be finished).

As for the pond...there is something in me that makes me want to do it, not only myself, but to dig it by hand--not that I can't request help with the largest rocks...I can, and I have...but all too often I'm too "stubborn and not waiting for help". How did you get to know me so well in such a short time?!
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 03-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWisc View Post
I never tire of their unique vocalizations. It always conjures up images of some ancient landscape full of prehistoric creatures.
Great description! Now I want to hear them!
Old 03-24-2012, 12:03 PM   #26

Dapjwy. I just saw a nice little feature that reminded me of your River, falls pond project.
I thought it would make for a good natural looking, Ahem.... starting point.

It was a fiberglass reproduction of a half decayed log from which water flowed around and beneath. Perhaps you could incorporate a real one near its beginning by your window view along with the shrubs-grasses you've been toying around with.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Great description! Now I want to hear them!
Here you go! They kind of sound like toads chirping. eNature: FieldGuides: Search Results

Old 03-24-2012, 12:08 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Here you go! They kind of sound like toads chirping. eNature: FieldGuides: Search Results
Thanks, hava.

Toward the end, it sounded like a combination of prehistoric and futristic! (well...some old science fiction show's computer sounds or something)
Old 03-24-2012, 12:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Dapjwy. I just saw a nice little feature that reminded me of your River, falls pond project.
I thought it would make for a good natural looking, Ahem.... starting point.

It was a fiberglass reproduction of a half decayed log from which water flowed around and beneath. Perhaps you could incorporate a real one near its beginning by your window view along with the shrubs-grasses you've been toying around with.
Thanks, havalotta! If you have a link or photo, I'd appreciate it.

So far, I plan to have some large rocks with water coming from behind and underneath...so that is right up my alley.

(Cute "gentle push" too, I might add.)
Old 03-24-2012, 12:24 PM   #30

You caught that ha?
You're about as good at starting that project as I am about getting a camera. It'll happen

I do not have a link so to speak as it was at a local store... I'll do a comp. search to see if I can find it.

Tags
2012, camera, enter, entry, free contest, march, march 2012, nature, nature photos, photo contest, photo entries, photograph, photographer, pictures, pom, thread