Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

camera5 ~February 2012 POM Entry Thread~

~~~The February 2012 Photo of the Month Contest is now open!~~~

It's a strange winter in most of the country. I'm looking at green grass and no snow, very odd for any February in western New York! Let's see what you're seeing where you are. Farther south, things are growing, flowering and birds are singing and going through mating rituals.

The POM contests in winter have fewer entries, so help beef it up! We enjoy seeing through your eyes!

Because of some recent questions, let me add, post-editing such as cropping, adjusting lighting, basic enhancing are A-OK! Just no collages or adding a tiger to your garden photo! If in doubt, post it anyway. I'll let you know if you've gone over the edge!

~February 2012 POM Entry Thread~-4323701659_99c2264a4d_z.jpg Groundhog up a tree
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #2

sun ~A Prize for the Winner!

Linrose is kindly contributing a prize for the winning photo this month! Thank you, linrose!

This gorgeous Sunface can soon be looking out on YOUR garden! You may enter FIVE PHOTOS this month!

If anyone can provide a prize for a future month, and send it to the winner, please contact me through the WG Private Messaging. Thanks for all your support and participation!
Attached Thumbnails
~February 2012 POM Entry Thread~-sunface.jpg  
Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

WOW, That's really niiiice of you linrose!
Oooooo And of you too Sage....5 entries.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:48 PM   #4

an extra chance to win!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:05 PM   #5
Official Plant Nerd

Ohhhh..... very niiiiiiiiice sunface. We lost my husband's little 'Blackie" this year to a Cooper's Hawk but.... she left him with a new little "Blackie' that's got a little tuft of white hair on the very tip of its tail. This baby is cuter than the dickens!!! I've been trying to get a photo of this squirrel for a few weeks. It's really skittish though but.... I'm gonna double my efforts for a shot at that sunface!!!!
Old 02-03-2012, 03:34 PM   #6
WG Fundraising Coordinator

Go get that photo Equil! We have a resident squirrel with virtually no tail we call "Stumpy", I know, not very nice but . . . All we have are the gray squirrels and I think flying squirrrels but we had lots of black squirrels when we lived in Canada. DH hates them ("rats with fuzzy tails") but I tolerate them as long as they don't tap my birdfeeders and inhabit the attic.

I lost the papers that came with the wall art but I think it's entitled "Solar Wind", kinda makes sense. February is shaping up to be very busy, I'll be travelling and working hard preparing for a trade show so not much time to get out with the camera and play. Whatever I do manage to photograph will probably be just outside my window by happenstance.

That means you guys have to step it up and get those shutters snapping! Are you game????
linrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #7
Official Plant Nerd

We've got 1 missing a chunk out of its tail. By me... squirrels are our year round entertainment. We watched 1 take a peanut out of a bluejay's beak last winter and we were like rolling on the floor laughing. What a brazen little squirrel!!! I am really sorry we lost 'Blackie' though. I felt really bad for my husband. I cleaned the dog slobber off the glass doors in the kitchen.... I moved the feeder stand to where I can get a straight shot at it.... my camera's on the table... I'm ready!!!
Old 02-04-2012, 04:30 AM   #8
Heron

There's a black squirrel that comes around with a piece of it's tail missing along with the white tuft on what's left of it. Sometimes you'll see a female with missing fur, They will pull it out to line their nests. I was sent an E-mail that proclaimed squirrel appreciation day as January 26th, Peaking my interest I followed the links people put in, One comment portended that the squirrels at University of Michigan were different/special but it turned out they have a squirrel club and claim they have the smartest and tamest squirrels.
Third year they leap; So plant some today
sprucetree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 01:58 PM   #9
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Nothing worthy trickling in from this end ... February's pretty bleak and its folders are darn near empty.
Should prove to be a good race to the sun.
I need a mid Winter outing awaaaaaay from civilization. Camp's been tugging at me for a while now.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:39 PM   #10
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Nothing worthy trickling in from this end ...
Not sure this is worthy, but I'll post it anyway:
Attached Thumbnails
~February 2012 POM Entry Thread~-dsc06691-crop.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2012, entry, february, pom, thread