Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 07:29 AM   #41
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Yes you....
I was in search of the Jin and Shari trees but was fortunate to run into a few other notable observations as well.
~February 2012 POM Entry Thread~-dscf2757.jpg
The color variations of the vines were fascinating.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #42
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Yes you....
I was in search of the Jin and Shari trees but was fortunate to run into a few other notable observations as well.
Attachment 28417
The color variations of the vines were fascinating.
Cool. I'm glad I helped inspire you to break the cabin fever.

Great photo...very cool! I think it is POM worthy.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 11:41 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Great photo...very cool! I think it is POM worthy.
LOL! I didn't realize I was in the POM thread! (I was trying to say you should enter it!) I gotta start paying attention more.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 02-19-2012, 05:30 PM   #44

Yup yup yup You just hexed yourself.
Thanks for the compliment Dapjwy but It feels kind of funny seeing it right here in the contest and all.....
We've a fair judge. I'm sure it wont sway her decision any.

Go Gang GO! Toss those P.O.M. worthy ones in one and all!

Old 02-20-2012, 04:19 PM   #45
Heron

This one I call UGH!!!!!!!!!!

~February 2012 POM Entry Thread~-p1030205.jpg
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:20 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
This one I call UGH!!!!!!!!!!

Yup, UGH! What kind of seed are you providing? Do you know what is attracting the European starlings?

If you can figure it out, then you could eliminate that...at least until they are gone. Maybe I'm just lucky to not have them around here (a little hard for me to believe), but I've only seen them come to my feeder ONCE since we've been here--and that was last year when I was doing my first Great Backyard Bird Count. I left a comment saying it was the first time I saw them and that they didn't stick around. I attributed that to the fact that I was only offering black oil sunflower seeds--but I don't know if that is why or not.

I do put out peanuts on occasion, and a few walnuts on occasion--and I've been known to put out a few pistachios that I couldn't pry open......but for the most part, it is just the sunflower seed (lately I use a mix of striped and black oil, because that was all that was in stock).
Old 02-20-2012, 06:43 PM   #47
Heron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Yup, UGH! What kind of seed are you providing? Do you know what is attracting the European starlings?

If you can figure it out, then you could eliminate that...at least until they are gone. Maybe I'm just lucky to not have them around here (a little hard for me to believe), but I've only seen them come to my feeder ONCE since we've been here--and that was last year when I was doing my first Great Backyard Bird Count. I left a comment saying it was the first time I saw them and that they didn't stick around. I attributed that to the fact that I was only offering black oil sunflower seeds--but I don't know if that is why or not.

I do put out peanuts on occasion, and a few walnuts on occasion--and I've been known to put out a few pistachios that I couldn't pry open......but for the most part, it is just the sunflower seed (lately I use a mix of striped and black oil, because that was all that was in stock).
I use a cheap mix mostly striped sunflower some black and cracked corn with the ever present millet mixed in I don't know what it is they like everything I suspect but I noticed they really went after my homemade suet last year this year I didn't put any out and have only had a few visits from them but then again we have had a mild winter and I usually only see them in late winter when all other food sources are exhausted.
recurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by recurve View Post
I use a cheap mix mostly striped sunflower some black and cracked corn with the ever present millet mixed in I don't know what it is they like everything I suspect but I noticed they really went after my homemade suet last year this year I didn't put any out and have only had a few visits from them but then again we have had a mild winter and I usually only see them in late winter when all other food sources are exhausted.
I'm guessing that the cracked corn and millet are a huge draw, but I may be wrong.

I never thought of suet being a draw.
Old 02-22-2012, 05:49 PM   #49

Ok you all who are bragging about your daffodils already blooming and such.
~February 2012 POM Entry Thread~-dscf2793february-p.o.m..jpg
Welcome to MY world!

Old 02-22-2012, 05:53 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Ok you all who are bragging about your daffodils already blooming and such.

Welcome to MY world!
Very nice...especially the 'starbursts'.

I hope you are enjoying your world...I know last time it snowed (well, big, fluffy flurries), I went out to enjoy them. Having such a mild winter made me appreciate the little bit of winter we have had.

Tags
2012, entry, february, pom, thread