Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-12-2011, 10:23 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

That first one is the best capture I've seen in a long, long time. It's an absolutely marvelous photo!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #12
WG Facebook Administrator

~October 2011 Photo of the Month Contest~-latemonarch.jpg
One of the last monarchs of the season, surely.
Old 10-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #13
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by amelanchier View Post
Attachment 26964
One of the last monarchs of the season, surely.
Nice, amelanchier! I love your habitat in the background. Congrats on your monarch.

I'm happy to report that I saw one or two this past week and got some photos of one that looks "brand new"...perhaps it is one of "my own" caterpillars all grown up.

I can't wait to have large masses of wildflowers in my habitat--so far I've got a nicely expanding spot full of asters and goldenrods and full of pollinators. Every year I'll expand that area and start new ones throughout the habitat until I have something like you have.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:56 PM   #14

Attached Thumbnails
~October 2011 Photo of the Month Contest~-dsc05360-crop.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 10-13-2011, 07:21 PM   #15

Nice grasshopper closeup!
Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 PM   #16

Quote:
Nice grasshopper closeup!
Thanks. I was taking flower pictures and he was just sitting there on the rock near my feet, so I snapped a couple pics. I cropped the best one.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Thanks. I was taking flower pictures and he was just sitting there on the rock near my feet, so I snapped a couple pics. I cropped the best one.
Great resolution & clarity for a cropped photo. I can never manage to get that right.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Great resolution & clarity for a cropped photo. I can never manage to get that right.

I lucked out. The camera is capable of great clarity, but I don't always achieve it!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:41 AM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

amelanchier> Loved your photo!!! Is Amelia old enough yet to toddle around out there chasing flutterbies>>>? Do you realize what memories she's gonna have when the 2 of you are long gone of being a little kid in that "oasis" for life you've created out back?
Old 10-14-2011, 07:44 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
amelanchier> Loved your photo!!! Is Amelia old enough yet to toddle around out there chasing flutterbies>>>? Do you realize what memories she's gonna have when the 2 of you are long gone of being a little kid in that "oasis" for life you've created out back?
Adele. She's juuust starting to walk a few steps, but she definitely loves the outdoors. I typically take her to the front yard and set her down on one of the paths while I do weeding or whatever. When she was really little I put her on a blanket, but now I just let her go to town. She eats grass occasionally, but no biggie. I don't have a gas mower, so there's likely nothing on it that could harm her. My wife would like me to create a grassy area for sitting in the back yard too, but I'm reluctant to chop anything down. We're thinking more & more about moving in the next couple of years anyway, and I can incorporate a little grassy area into the design next time. Besides, when she's a bit older, I think she'll have more fun playing under tall Joe Pye weeds than just rolling around in lawn grass.

Tags
2011, camera, contest, entries, entry, insects, month, nature, october, photo, photo contest, photo entries, photo of the month, photographer, photographs, photography, pics, pictures, plants, potm