Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #81
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
dap, roflmao!
I thought it best not to provide any explanation.

Do you know what it is?

Quote:

Back to Niagara Falls again, and the last Peregrine fledged while we were there, though at that moment, I was taking more pix of the water~~~
I *love* your Niagra Falls photos--depth of field makes it more dramatic. I've not been there since I was a kid, and I don't think I have any idea how big it really is.

How wonderful you were able to observe the peregrine falcons grow up and go out on their own.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #82
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Hmmmm, it looks like a boat taken from a plane~
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:12 PM   #83

Quote:
Hmmmm, it looks like a boat taken from a plane~
<buzzer sounds> Nope. I was not on a plane. I was standing in an open doorway when I took it. (not sure if that is much of a clue or not) ...and it does fit the water theme.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 08-01-2011, 09:34 PM   #84
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Oh, great! Well then, what were the settings you used?
***i have to go to sleep now***
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:11 PM   #85

Quote:
Oh, great! Well then, what were the settings you used?
***i have to go to sleep now***
I had it set on manual focus--but that's about all I know. I'd guess that the shutter speed was a bit slower than it should've been, but it still gives some impression of what I was going for.

I need to sleep now too...but I keep putting it off!
Old 08-01-2011, 11:02 PM   #86
Official Plant Nerd

Here's a photo of a heron rookery from early summer.... could actually be from late spring but definitely some time in June since I can see all the oak trees in the background leafed out... I can't remember exactly when I took it so you don't need to count it. I just think the snags rising up and out of the water are so eerily beautiful. I can't help but take photos of this place every time I'm anywhere near it.
Attached Thumbnails
~~~summer 2011 water theme photo contest~~~-img_0000.jpg  
Old 08-02-2011, 07:23 AM   #87
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I had it set on manual focus--but that's about all I know. I'd guess that the shutter speed was a bit slower than it should've been, but it still gives some impression of what I was going for.

I need to sleep now too...but I keep putting it off!
???A falling hailstone???

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:52 AM   #88
Fox

Welcome back, suunto. Those pictures surely convey the power of water.
dap, would your photo be of condensation on a window?

I thought that coming to NM would not afford me any opportunity to take water pictures as they've been in a prolonged drought for some time. Fortunately, they've been getting some pretty good rain the past few days. One effect has been to cause the desert plants to explode into bloom. I haven't explored yet but I noticed four different plants in flower within a few feet of each other on the side of the road and that was as I drove by at 80 mph!

Another effect was some stunning visuals as I approached the Manzano Mountains from the east. Looking across the miles at the interplay of sun and rain led to more than one stop for photo ops. Here are two of the best resulting images.
~~~summer 2011 water theme photo contest~~~-water-fire-1.jpg~~~summer 2011 water theme photo contest~~~-water-fire-2.jpg
Old 08-02-2011, 10:40 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
???A falling hailstone???

(Inquiring back stage) Judges, can we accept that?

Sorry. Nope...but awfully close. No freezing involved in this precipitation (Well, who knows what happened in the cloud, but surely it melted on its way down.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:44 AM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Welcome back, suunto. Those pictures surely convey the power of water.
Yes, they sure do. Thanks for putting into words what I was sensing when I viewed them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
dap, would your photo be of condensation on a window?
No, sorry, Bulu...but thank you for playing.

>>Johnnie, what consolation prizes do we have? <thinking> "Probably Rice-a-roni or something."

Tags
2011, contest, dew, enter, flodding, flood, lake, natural areas, nature, photo, photo contest, photographers, photography, photography contest, pond, rain, rain drops, rainy weather, river, summer, theme, water, water features, water photos, waterfall