Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 03:05 PM   #21
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
Gorgeous pic, Bulu. I hope you add it to the monthly contest too!

Here's a way to tell if a pic fits the contest - ask what the main subject is. In this case, I think the Heron is the focus point. You were shooting the Heron. In the case of a dewdrop dripping off a leaf, the dewdrop is the focus.

Btw, Bulu, your macros are getting so good, how about some dewy webs or raindrops catching the sun from a rose petal?
Yeah, I was kinda figuring that way as well, but I was surprisingly empty of water-themed shots for this month so I kinda reached. Like you, I started to go through all july/august pics but then noticed the currency requirement and had to narrow my focus.
As for the monthly contest, I tend to wait until the end of the month and then pick my best four shots. I'd hate to use up my quota and then have to leave off a stunner at the last minute.
I was already thinking dewy morning shots for this contest. We're expecting some heavy thunderstorms overnight, ending in the early morning. That shows potential for some nice shots. We'll see.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:51 PM   #22
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

umbrella

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
I was surprisingly empty of water-themed shots for this month. Like you, I started to go through all july/august pics but then noticed the currency requirement and had to narrow my focus.

As for the monthly contest, I tend to wait until the end of the month and then pick my best four shots. I'd hate to use up my quota and then have to leave off a stunner at the last minute.
I too, had an empty shot-glass with the currency requirements but then I got to thinking about the one day trip I had just taken with Equill.
Looks like we'll be doing a bit of competing being in on the same trip and all.
Equill Get your schlogging wet feet over here and take the plunge. I Promise not to splash you in the face .....Much.
I commend Sage for adding the requirement....It's like releasing the kids for recess for the next few months to play in yard together.

Buluc..... I used to feel the same way about entering the monthly until I had a bit of stock to work with.
Make yourself monthly folders and duplicate the best of the best as you take them month by month.
When the time comes, open up the proper folder and go in for a feel if you haven't taken any recently worthy.
If something comes along after the fact....So be it. Save it for future use.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 03:53 PM   #23
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

That's the right idea, Bulu. I also have lots of water pix, taken *before*! This is the exact reason I specified pix must be taken this July-August, to get people to think WATER and look at the WATER we see every day, but in a fresh way.
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #24
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Here's a way to tell if a pic fits the contest - ask what the main subject is. In this case, I think the Heron is the focus point. You were shooting the Heron. In the case of a dewdrop dripping off a leaf, the dewdrop is the focus.
Good point, Sage. I didn't see it that way until now.

Quote:
...how about some dewy webs or raindrops catching the sun from a rose petal?
Boy! Someone wants her cake and to eat it too! You want to sleep in and still get pictures of dewy webs and such.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:09 PM   #25
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
...I got to thinking about the one day trip I had just taken with Equill.
Looks like we'll be doing a bit of competing being in on the same trip and all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Shhhhhh..... no telling secrets on the playground!!!

Hmm...I sense a new trip thread developing.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:10 PM   #26

Quote:

Photos must be taken this July through August 2011
Limit eight per person, or about two per week
I just went into the rules and am a bit confused.
Is it....8 per person or about 2 per week?
Seeing it's a 2 month long contest that would then be 16 entries if 2 are allowed per week.

I know, I know.... Leave it to me to think about things so literally. I just wanted to know how long we can stay and play in the bathtub together. I don't want to pull the plug on the drain any sooner than need be.

So...Which shall it be?

Old 07-18-2011, 04:12 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
Hmm...I sense a new trip thread developing.
Hmmmmm It's possible. I thought about doing one if I ever get caught up with the thousand posts I've missed in the last two weeks.
Don't expect too much of it though as we only had a days worth of fighting off the mosquitoes and horse flies.

Old 07-18-2011, 05:28 PM   #28
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

single eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I just went into the rules and am a bit confused.
Is it....8 per person or about 2 per week?
Seeing it's a 2 month long contest that would then be 16 entries if 2 are allowed per week.

I know, I know.... Leave it to me to think about things so literally. I just wanted to know how long we can stay and play in the bathtub together. I don't want to pull the plug on the drain any sooner than need be.

So...Which shall it be?
I just looked at the time I made post #1 - past my bedtime equals "fuzzy math". I was thinking about 8/person. So, get busy! You're behind already! And you know, I don't require you to follow a lot of rules, like other contests. Much more casual here in the pond.

Last edited by Sage; 07-18-2011 at 05:31 PM. Reason: bloop[ed
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #29
Fox

Raindrops on the stream.
~~~summer 2011 water theme photo contest~~~-purg-020a.jpg
Old 07-18-2011, 05:45 PM   #30
Pope

That looks both relaxing and refreshing, Bulu, especially in this heatwave. Very pretty.
Hedgerowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, contest, dew, enter, flodding, flood, lake, natural areas, nature, photo, photo contest, photographers, photography, photography contest, pond, rain, rain drops, rainy weather, river, summer, theme, water, water features, water photos, waterfall