Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 05:25 PM   #131
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpdenk View Post
I particularly like the Tiger Beetle, suunto, they're fascinating, and can be tricky to photograph. Any idea what species it is? Seems like the only one I ever see here is the Six-spotted Tiger Beetle, which is a beauty, but I'd like to photograph more kinds of them.

John
I believe that it is Cicindela punctulata - see Tiger Beetle - Cicindela punctulata Photo Gallery by Tom Murray at pbase.com for some images. This specimen cooperated by staying still for the few seconds needed to focus on it.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:30 PM   #132
WG Operations, Facilitator

Wow lots of really great photos this month!! I had a great time viewing them all.

I took plant photos for the first time this summer yesterday. No spectacular entries, but I'm happy to see my native plants thriving and multiplying. These are plants that I started from seed 3 years ago. They're ready to be divided and placed around my property. The weather's too hot right now, but soon they will moved to their new homes.

I've had much butterfly and hummingbird activity this summer; more than I've ever seen here before. Only a couple of Junebugs (usually I have hundreds), and my bees are becoming scarce. I'm worried about my bee population.

Hoary Vervain
~JULY 2011 Photo Contest~-hoar-vervain.jpg

Menarda
~JULY 2011 Photo Contest~-menarda.jpg

Tansy
~JULY 2011 Photo Contest~-tansy2.jpg

Coneflowers
~JULY 2011 Photo Contest~-white-coneflower.jpg
Old 07-31-2011, 06:31 PM   #133
Heron

Looks like a good ID, suunto. After seeing your photo, I dug out my Tiger Beetle field guide and had thought that might be it but wasn't sure.

BBBBecky, nice flower shots! But Tansy isn't native! And the white Echinacea isn't a wild form is it? I thought those were a horticultural variety not found in the wild.

Thanks,
John
Old 07-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #134
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Great seeing you posting again 4B!

You must be stealing/attracting all of the butterflies, because they've been pretty scarce around here. Glad to hear someone is seeing a lot.

Do you ever see the hummingbird going to those tiny vervain flowers? I swear I saw them at it years ago when I had it. I've gotta get some more.

... I agree about the tansy not being native. I don't know about the white Echinacea--I don't grow them as they are native much more farther west than where we live.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 07:49 PM   #135
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

July 2011 POTM contest closed. Thank you for all the beautiful entries! Winning photos HERE
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, bugs, contest, flowers, free, free contest, insects, july, native insects, natives plants, nature, photgraphy contest, photo, photo contest, photo of the month, photographers, photographs, photography, photography contest, pictures, plants