Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Photo of the Month (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/photo-month/)
-   -   ~June 2011 Photo Contest~ (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/photo-month/8563-june-2011-photo-contest.html)

Sage 06-01-2011 08:27 AM

~June 2011 Photo Contest~

June 2011 photo contest is now open! Photos must be taken in June (any year) and the limit is four.

Sage 06-10-2011 02:40 AM

:bump

havalotta 06-10-2011 08:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Egggggs actly
Attachment 24014
Killdeer nest.

Gloria 06-10-2011 10:06 AM

ooh...nice!

papercarver 06-10-2011 01:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a hover fly on potentilla recta...

dapjwy 06-10-2011 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 92111)
Killdeer nest.

Great find/shot.

You really seem to get out in nature and witness a lot of wildlife activities. Good for you. I'm often focused on our two acres. I guess, as it transforms into more of a habitat, I'll see more of nature up close.

I love killdeer! Not sure what the attraction is, but I always enjoyed seeing them darting around running like shore birds. With so much open space here, I thought we might attract them, but I guess we don't really have the right habitat for them.

Anyway, I love your picture and the memories it evokes. :)

dapjwy 06-10-2011 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by papercarver (Post 92126)
Here's a hover fly on potentilla recta...

Nice, papercarver. I like that I'm starting to "put a name with a face" with some of these insects.

As a kid/teen, I always liked that potentilla--later, I found it is not a native. Still many of the non-natives--even dandelions--are what started me wanting to create more natural areas...as I learned that *some* of my favorites were not natives, I've decided not to include those that are not native to my region so that I can create a much more truly natural area/habitat.

Anyway, I like your hover fly-- are they also known as "sweat bees" or is that a different species of similar size?

havalotta 06-13-2011 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dapjwy (Post 92128)
Great find/shot.
You really seem to get out in nature and witness a lot of wildlife activities. Good for you. I'm often focused on our two acres. I guess, as it transforms into more of a habitat, I'll see more of nature up close.

I love killdeer! Not sure what the attraction is, but I always enjoyed seeing them darting around running like shore birds. With so much open space here, I thought we might attract them, but I guess we don't really have the right habitat for them.
Anyway, I love your picture and the memories it evokes. :)

Thanks Dapjwy....I love to explore.
Father holds the same wonder as we walk into the field and stream or along a country road together.
Always pointing out a hawk upon a branch, a bright mushroom under foot, a tree full of hazelnut pods.
I'm the result of.....His inspiration. :)
Thanks dad!

dapjwy 06-13-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 92240)
Thanks Dapjwy....I love to explore.
Father holds the same wonder as we walk into the field and stream or along a country road together.
Always pointing out a hawk upon a branch, a bright mushroom under foot, a tree full of hazelnut pods.
I'm the result of.....His inspiration. :)
Thanks dad!

~smile~

Thanks for bringing a smile to my face and making me say a little "Thanks, Dad!" of my own.

Bulucanagria 06-13-2011 07:56 PM

Found while gardening

1 Attachment(s)
This guy fluttered in as I was wading through some tall brush in the yard. He didn't seem to want to sit still for a picture until he settled on the underside of a leaf. He then let me take his picture up close for quite a while. When I walked by there an hour and a half later, he hadn't moved.
Pardon me but I think this image is absolutely beautiful.
Attachment 24062