Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening

Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/wildlife-gardeners.php)
-   Photo of the Month (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/photo-month/)
-   -   ~May Photo of the Month~ (http://www.wildlifegardeners.org/forum/photo-month/8463-may-photo-month.html)

amelanchier 05-01-2011 01:44 PM

~May Photo of the Month~

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry I'm scooping you, Sage, but I got one! ;) (Actually, my wife took it.)

Attachment 23643
These are marsh marigolds (Caltha palustris) at Counterfeiter's Ledge in Newstead, NY. There were oceans of them!

dapjwy 05-01-2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amelanchier (Post 90729)
There were oceans of them!

Impressive! :)

I don't think I've ever seen so many in one place.

Sage 05-09-2011 06:40 PM

I would do May if I can do it the way Dave did. I'll choose and the winner will be announced as quickly as possible. I will not be a contestant, and if I add pix, they won't be in the running. I like to "KISS it" (keep it simple) :)

Let me know, yes or no

~~~:)~~~

Dave Stiles 05-09-2011 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage (Post 90891)
I would do May if I can do it the way Dave did. I'll choose and the winner will be announced as quickly as possible. I will not be a contestant, and if I add pix, they won't be in the running. I like to "KISS it" (keep it simple) :)

Let me know, yes or no

~~~:)~~~

Now you know why I did it that way ... go for it Sage - I designate you as my May replacement judge. Go forth and "enjoy" it!!!

Sage 05-09-2011 07:47 PM

Okay, Dave! And I hope you're feeling a bit better especially with spring bringing forth new photo ops!

Now let's have lots of entries! :D

Dave Stiles 05-09-2011 09:48 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage (Post 90896)
Now let's have lots of entries! :D

Here's three for now ... leaves me room for one from this year

havalotta 05-10-2011 08:36 AM

Alright...We have a judge!
Nice kits Dave. What type of fox are they, the red?
I don't recall them being so dark.

I've been monitoring a few dens here myself.
I found a den within the forest two years ago. Last year they moved and created their den along the river. This year there's been a LOT of excavating going on in the previous denning area recently creating FOUR NEW ENTRIES!

Beautiful animal....

Dave Stiles 05-10-2011 08:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 90914)
Nice kits Dave. What type of fox are they, the red? I don't recall them being so dark.

They're Red foxes, Vulpes vulpes - the male was dark phase, almost black. The female was a typical red. As you can see in the below images (not contest entries) the parent foxes were losing their winter coats...

havalotta 05-10-2011 09:04 AM

THAT'S why they are so dark!
Are the darks common there or is he a rarity?
I don't think we have the darks here.

Dave Stiles 05-10-2011 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by havalotta (Post 90919)
THAT'S why they are so dark!
Are the darks common there or is he a rarity?

I've seen several dark phase red foxes, from up on Mount Rainier to the Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem - in North America, black foxes are relatively common, just harder to see when they're out hunting during dusk/dawn.