Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 PM   #21
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Well, I guess that's entirely possible!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:45 PM   #22
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ring-necked pheasants
~March 2011 Photo Contest - post pix here!-marchdscf4253.jpg~March 2011 Photo Contest - post pix here!-march-dscf4255.jpg
A rooster in hot pursuit of a female.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 07:51 PM   #23

very cute!
Old 03-25-2011, 02:23 PM   #24
A Bee's Best Friend

Default Snake

First snake I have come across this season. My granddaughter saw it after her Dad,brother and I had walked right past in on the trail. Sluggish in the sunny but cool day it finally took off after being properly disturbed.
Attached Thumbnails
~March 2011 Photo Contest - post pix here!-1190.jpg  

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:23 PM   #25

At first I thought it might me the Dekay's snake or red belly but I recall those having more of a spotted pattern upon their backs...
The striping leads me into thinking more towards a very dull phase garter snake? Anyone????

Old 03-26-2011, 06:03 AM   #26
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
At first I thought it might me the Dekay's snake or red belly but I recall those having more of a spotted pattern upon their backs...
The striping leads me into thinking more towards a very dull phase garter snake? Anyone????
This is indeed a garter snake, Thamnophis sp. - It should appear a bit brighter once it has shed its skin...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 07:56 AM   #27

Thanks Suunto...I wasn't quite sure.
The eyes didn't have the typical blurry haze over them as they normally would have pre shed stage.
How could that snake be out already! The ground is frozen solid here and I'm not that much farther north.
Gloria...You should be seeing a lot more of them in the area if they are first emerging as they congregate into large hibernating groups !

Old 03-26-2011, 09:10 AM   #28
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gloria View Post
First snake I have come across this season. My granddaughter saw it after her Dad,brother and I had walked right past in on the trail. Sluggish in the sunny but cool day it finally took off after being properly disturbed.

Good for your granddaughter!

I'm never too fond of running into a snake unexpectedly...normally I get startled and it gets startled--we both go our separate ways. However, I'm not repulsed by snakes and I think your photograph is cool...I love how the snake looks so comfortable loosely coiled in the leaves. Great shot.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 05:29 PM   #29
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

I love red-winged blackbirds and look forward to seeing them every spring. Normally, I'll see a lone male perched on some cattails or near a pond at various points on my drive to work. I've even had one or two show up at the feeder.

This year, I was thrilled to see a whole flock of them--a small flock, but still a flock! I think the snow we've had after their arrival may be the cause. I've been putting out extra seed for them.

Anyway, today I spotted several males sitting in a sycamore tree across the street...I took one picture and they all started to fly off--snapping the camera again, I got this shot that I thought I'd enter:
Attached Thumbnails
~March 2011 Photo Contest - post pix here!-redwing-blackbirds-take-flight.jpg  
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 06:45 PM   #30

I like them too, and your shot of the action! The splash of red on their wings is so cool!

Tags
2011, camera, contest, contest entries, enter, fauna, flora, march, nature, nature photography, photo, photo contest, photo entries, photo of the month, photographers, photography, photography contest, pix, post, potm, wildlife