Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 01:04 PM   #1
Naturalist/Photographer

camera2 January 2011 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here

A new year and another time to show what winter wildlife gardening means to you as seen through the lens of a camera.

I will be off-line until mid January - my computer died and cannot be replaced until then ... so I thought to start this thread now instead of waiting until I'm back online - "see" ya'll next year!!!
Dave Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #2
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

January 2011 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-p1100454.jpg

Osprey with "catch of the day" on Pine Island, FL
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

There couldn't be a finer sht than that!

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:55 PM   #4
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Great shot and cute caption, Sage.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
~ A Native Backyard Blog ~
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 01:01 PM   #5
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Wow! What a great photo, Sage! You really make it hard for anyone else who wants to enter. LOL!

How did you get such a cool shot? Did you sneak up on him?

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 02:11 PM   #6
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

My entries.
Attached Thumbnails
January 2011 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-snowscape.jpg   January 2011 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-snowscape2.jpg   January 2011 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-goldenrodsnowscape.jpg   January 2011 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-oaklimb.jpg  
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:11 PM   #7

MrILoveTheAnts,

Are those all from your yard/habitat? I tend to take almost all of my pictures from my own yard, too.

I always appreciate ever greens in the winter. I am adding hemlocks, white pine to our 2 acres...there are way too few evergreens here--one pine that I'm still trying to identify, a few blue spruce that I want to girdle and replace with white pine (leaving the girdled trees as snags for wildlife, and a huge hybrid Rhododendron. I plan to add the native Rhododendron and mountain laurels as well. Anyway, it is nice to see some snow covered evergreens amount the bare trees.

Nice snow to see that you left the goldenrod (?) to collect snow and provide seeds for birds. That is an interesting view of the oak tree limb.
"If suburbia were landscaped with meadows, prairies, thickets or forests, or combinations of these, then the water would sparkle, fish would be good to eat again, birds would sing and human spirits would soar." ~ Lorrie Otto
Old 01-09-2011, 03:41 PM   #8
1st Place Winner Winner Butterfly/Moth Contest & Official Ant Man

Yes all of these were taken at least from my yard. The first two snow scapes are actually views from my front and back yard. Probably 80% of the photo is cropped out though to hide all the telephone poles and my neighbor's bomb shelter/storage pod /shed that's rusting away in their yard.

Hollies are another nice one in the winter.
MrILoveTheAnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 03:51 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrILoveTheAnts View Post
Yes all of these were taken at least from my yard. The first two snow scapes are actually views from my front and back yard. Probably 80% of the photo is cropped out though to hide all the telephone poles and my neighbor's bomb shelter/storage pod /shed that's rusting away in their yard.

Hollies are another nice one in the winter.
Good point--I just came back inside from walking the property and taking more pictures...I took several of *views* *from* my yard, not just in the yard. I, too, tend to crop out the less desireable elements when possible, but sometimes it makes an interesting juxtaposition--like last spring I snapped a shot of a male bluebird atop their nesting box *just* as a tractor trailer drove by...and became the background of the shot. It was kind of cool looking in its own way. I consider view from the yard as "your yard", too...it is part of the whole package.

My fingers are still cold and just a little numb as I type this!

My neighbor has a few rusting things in their yard, too...but he seems to be cleaning it up this year.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 PM   #10
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Wow! What a great photo, Sage! You really make it hard for anyone else who wants to enter. LOL!

How did you get such a cool shot? Did you sneak up on him?
Osprey are amazingly unperturbed and cooperative, plus they are active. This one was in a wonderful snag along the main road on Pine Island so we just parked nearby and walked up close. The Osprey just watched us!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2011, camera, cameras, contest, entries, fun, insects, january, month, nature, photo, photo contest, photo contests, photo entries, photo of the month, photoghraphers, photograph, photography, photography contest, plants, post, potm, wildlife