Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 06:06 PM   #71
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

Amazing photos! I especially like Buluc's ice flow and cardinal, and Havalotta's icy branch and hermit crab.

We've had three snow falls here already, a record for NC, and our first white Christmas in 63 years. Climate change here we come! My kids are loving it, my feeder birds are begging for handouts, but aren't good at posing for photos. I love the red cardinals, the red bellied woodpeckers, and generally watching the jockeying for position that goes on at my deckrail feeder - very entertaining, but photos don't take well through glass, so no bird photos for me.

Our first snow came with flowers still in bloom

December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-snow-aster-web-3.jpg

Our second was followed by freezing rain that left a glazing on everything.
December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-bird-feeder-glazed-ice-web.jpg

Our third was beautiful, and led to goofy behavior by daughters...
December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-tracks-snow-katy.jpg

Happy New Year!
Attached Thumbnails
December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-cat-statue-snow-blanket.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:14 PM   #72
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Ended?!?!? There are still 2 more days for dazzling photos to appear.
Too much eggnog?
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:19 PM   #73
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I think Turtles feeder looks like a really COOL jelly fish.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
Amazing photos!
Not too shabby yourself! Snow with flowers still blooming (Erigeron, one of my favorites). Cool ice-covered birdfeeder! Great bare feet tracks!--add those to the tracks-scat-pellets thread! WG's Tracks, Scat, and Pellets Appreciation Program (Contest)

And I have to admit I did a quick double take with the snow covered cat...statue.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:42 PM   #75
Fox

Thanks for the appreciation. The other recent additions are great as well. I especially liked suunto's grass in the snow and turttles frozen feeder.
I have always been fascinated by the beauty of snow and ice and have tried for years to capture it in pictures. It's not easy and I don't have many that I'm satisfied with, but the two I posted I'm pretty happy with.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:02 PM   #76

I love your cardinal in the snow, Bulu!
Old 12-29-2010, 08:14 PM   #77
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
I love your cardinal in the snow, Bulu!
Thanks. It's one of my favorites, too.
Old 12-29-2010, 08:43 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulucanagria View Post
Thanks. It's one of my favorites, too.
I can see why.

I think you posted it somewhere else once, if so, it was worth seeing again.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:22 PM   #79
Fox

Default Mea Culpa

Oh boy, I screwed up. I also thought I had posted the Cardinal picture before so I went searching for it and found it...in the February 2010 photo contest thread. Now, I know that I didn't take two extremely similar pictures a few months apart, so obviously I was wrong when I posted this to one of the contests. The EXIF info on this picture leads me to believe that posting in the February contest was a mistake.
When I look for entries to these monthly contests, I do an open search that lists all the photos in a given folder, then I use the tabs at the top to order them by date taken. I then look down the list until I see the month in question, and look to see if there are any worthy of sharing. That's how I found this photo for the December contest. I honestly have no idea how I determined that it was a February photo, unless I just flat out missed the 1 at the beginning.
As the case may be, it was an honest mistake and I apologise. If the photo was in any serious consideration for honors this month, I ask that it not be. Though it was an innocent mistake and this is the actual month in which it was taken, it would be wrong for it to be considered a second time.
Incidentally, I did receive honorable mention that month, but not for the cardinal pic. Rather it was a photo of ice covered fungi with snow fleas that received honors.
Thanks for your understanding and, once again, I apologise.
Dan
Old 12-29-2010, 09:57 PM   #80
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

The longer one is with the sight the more there is to try and keep track of.

I just recently created a folder that holds all of the photos I have entered into the contests so hopefully I won't do the same.
It was just getting too hard to remember if they had been entered in the past.

As of late...I've been going through MY folders in search of photos.
Once I've done that I re tag the folder as ...."Removed P.O.M." and put those worthy into another folder marked "Photos worth entering."
As the pages of the calendar turn I can now go in for a monthly search. December was pretty bleak. So far...... Zippo for January.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, camera, contest, december, enter, entries, entry, free, free photo contest, month, photo, photo contest, photoghraphers, photography, photography contest, photos, pictures, post, potm, prize, prizes, wildlife, wildlifegardeners