Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2010, 07:10 PM   #21
Naturalist/Photographer

Quote:
havalotta ... Osprey facts
perched feeding osprey in Glacier Park - and just because I can ... an osprey with chicks in the Tetons.
Attached Thumbnails
December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-540182309_7325e7b0b3_b.jpg   December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-3777660609_bc55535e0f_b.jpg  
Dave Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 07:27 PM   #22
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stiles View Post
perched feeding osprey in Glacier Park - and just because I can ... an osprey with chicks in the Tetons.
Excellent shots, Dave Stiles!
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 08:14 PM   #23
WG Operations, Facilitator

Dave,
Fantastic osprey photos!!

I've never seen osprey chicks before; not even a photo of osprey chicks. Wow!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #24
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Okay, Becky. You get to see bear cubs up close and some of us get to see osprey chicks up close.

These weren't taken in December so I am not entering them in the contest, I just wanted to share them! I had the good fortune to go along on a banding trip with a NJ state osprey bander two summers ago. These osprey chicks were almost ready to fledge, so they were ready to be banded. We banded 8 healthy chicks that July morning. I will never forget it!
Attached Thumbnails
December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-osprey-08-013.jpg   December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-osprey-08-017.jpg   December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-osprey-08-024.jpg   December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-osprey-08-036.jpg  

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:09 PM   #25
Naturalist/Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
I've never seen osprey chicks before; not even a photo of osprey chicks. Wow!
Here's two more of the Teton chicks. The third image is a juveniles first flight from a nest in NW Montana. Watched the nest for days, then one time the wind kicked up to 25 MPH gusts and voila .... airborne.

You can tell juvenile ospreys from adults by the eye color. "Kids" are orange-ish while adults are a golden color. Thus ends this evenings class on Osprey in the Western United States.
Attached Thumbnails
December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-3777662325_d19e1c34f1_b.jpg   December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-3777658097_96f056b52e_b.jpg   December 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-2229151110_a6210a61be_o.jpg  
Dave Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 09:16 PM   #26

Dave,
Great shots! Very cool to see the osprey take its first flight!

Old 12-14-2010, 09:43 PM   #27
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Dave,
Great shots! Very cool to see the osprey take its first flight!
That is a great shot and worth the wait. ...but I really love the first one--tender moment.

bridget, cool that you get to work up close and personal with them.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 10:37 PM   #28
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I learned something new.
I didn't know their eye color changed like that.
The Osprey are a pretty rare sight around here.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 01:41 AM   #29
WG Operations, Facilitator

Bridget - Cool osprey banding photos. Beautiful photo of you holding the osprey! I love the thrilled look on your face...pure joy!

Dave Stiles - Thanks for sharing more photos of the osprey chicks in the Tetons. I had no idea the chick's eye colors were different from the adult's eye color. Thanks for the osprey lessons.

The photo you posted of the osprey adult and osprey chick in their nest allows one to really compare the difference in eye color.
Old 12-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBooBearBecky View Post
Bridget - Cool osprey banding photos. Beautiful photo of you holding the osprey! I love the thrilled look on your face...pure joy!

Dave Stiles - Thanks for sharing more photos of the osprey chicks in the Tetons. I had no idea the chick's eye colors were different from the adult's eye color. Thanks for the osprey lessons.

The photo you posted of the osprey adult and osprey chick in their nest allows one to really compare the difference in eye color.
Thanks, Becky! I really was elated that morning and took quite a while to come down. Thank you for reminding me of how I felt that day.

Other raptors also have varying eye color depending on age. Red tailed hawks have yellowish grey eyes as juveniles, brown as adults.

Tags
2010, camera, contest, december, enter, entries, entry, free, free photo contest, month, photo, photo contest, photoghraphers, photography, photography contest, photos, pictures, post, potm, prize, prizes, wildlife, wildlifegardeners