Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 10:07 PM   #41
Puff the Magic Dragon

One more thing about keeping steady while zooming in (I apologize if someone else has already mentioned it). Always use the eyepiece instead of the display screen. Having the camera steadied on your face helps steady it.
old34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:20 PM   #42
WG Facilitator

Default Balcony gardens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I hope there's a thread here for balcony gardening. Here's part of the yard as seen from the balcony.
Until experienced balcony gardeners speak up, here are a couple of sites to inspire you.

A volunteer project to inspire and support residents with balconies to create thriving balcony gardens in the city of Toronto http://torontobalconiesbloom.ca/index.html

Gardening tips and tricks for apartment and condo dwellers (creating privacy on your balcony; create a hanging salad bowl; grow a cutting garden on your balcony)
http://lifeonthebalcony.com/
Old 02-21-2009, 11:46 PM   #43
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Thank you!
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:36 AM   #44
Unicellular Fungi

No no no! That site biigblueyes found is gorgeous and has lots of good ideas but you need to make picks with your buddies here. You will deprive me of fun if you go there! For shame for shame. I created a workshop for balcony gardeners called "For The Birds'. I still have lots to learn but it was a blast and people sent photos to me at the end of the season to show me their creations and each one was personalized. You can create your own designer balcony Sage. We already know you like birds.

If you want a hanging salad bowl you may need to post in that small spaces forum we have somewhere here or go back to the really great site she found. I don't do hanging salads from balconies.
Old 02-22-2009, 12:05 PM   #45
Big Fat juicy WORM

Thanks for the info on those sites, bbblueeyes. I'm still working on my newest ppp for a MG speech I'm giving to a group that's interested in both organic veggie gardening and containers. I don't do much in containers except houseplants, so I'm needing as much extra info as I can research. You saved me some time
Old 02-23-2009, 09:18 AM   #46
WG Facilitator

Ask and ye shall receive!

I would check out 6 gardening books at a time and study them carefully, and then I realized I was spending so much time finding out the best ways to garden, I didn't have time left FOR the garden. This way, I get to satisfy my "inquiring minds want to know" gene. I give the site a quick look to see if it impresses me, I pass the link on to you, and it becomes YOUR problem. hehehehe

This one has nice charts of useful-looking info to use as a handout.
http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/extension/container/container.html

No pictures but good basic info, including indoor veggie gardening in containersOk, so it's mostly windowsill herbs and lettuce, but it's something to do when it's too early to plant outside. Parts of this would also make a nice handout.
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/envirohor...6/426-336.html

Advice on what size containers you need for types of veggies, long list of veggies suitable for container gardening. You'll want to delete the fertilizer info if you use it as a handout, maybe substitute organic fertilizer info.
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1647.html

That's all for now - going to play in my greenhouse.

Last edited by biigblueyes; 02-23-2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: add a link
biigblueyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 10:55 AM   #47
Unicellular Fungi

I've read everything at the intro sites. I have a much better understanding of aperture and such. I'm not sold on moving from manual mode mostly because the menu is difficult to read and takes time. I lose enough shots as it is. Practice more? There are some things I need to start doing right away like looking through the eye piece. I wasn't. I was using the display screen. It was easier for me. Holding my breath makes sense and so does not lifting up on the button for a bit. There are some things I can do right away like the lentils. I'll play with what you all gave me and see how it goes. Still waiting for an answer on how to stop what I'm photographing from moving without darting it with a tranquilizer.
Old 02-23-2009, 09:54 PM   #48
WG Facilitator

If we start seeing Lorax posting pictures of wildlife that all have the "deer in the headlight" look, we'll know she found that tranquilizer gun!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:56 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Still waiting for an answer on how to stop what I'm photographing from moving without darting it with a tranquilizer.
Answer: Shoot at the fastest speed possible for the conditions.
Old 02-23-2009, 11:31 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by biigblueyes View Post
Until experienced balcony gardeners speak up, here are a couple of sites to inspire you.

A volunteer project to inspire and support residents with balconies to create thriving balcony gardens in the city of Toronto http://torontobalconiesbloom.ca/index.html

Gardening tips and tricks for apartment and condo dwellers (creating privacy on your balcony; create a hanging salad bowl; grow a cutting garden on your balcony)
http://lifeonthebalcony.com/
Had a chance to look around these great sites tonight and got lots of ideas. One of the plants I liked could cause rashes to touch which was good information too.

I'm not sure though if all the plants would be considered native. Got to check further to make sure my choices would get a seal of approval!

I got a cactus garden for the kitchen counter a couple years ago and put it on the balcony last summer. By fall, it wasn't as pretty as when new so I left it outside. It's frozen and looks dead. I wonder if it will come back to life this year...

Tags
contest, february, images, month, photo, post, thread