Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2009, 12:55 PM   #31
Unicellular Fungi

You don't by any chance have access to a community garden plot do you? A place where you could plant butterfly and hummingbird plants? You could set up a few chairs and hang out so they would grow accustomed to your presence. Just a thought.
Old 02-21-2009, 01:57 PM   #32
Fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
I noticed that most of my photos were very blurry. The better photos I got because I propped the camera on a fence post. What do you do if there is no fence post?
The closer you zoom in on something the more sensitive the camera is to movement. I've read that you should hold your breath when you press the shutter release button. Hold the button down a little longer once the picture is taken to reduce camera shake because you move the camera when you lift your finger too. Keep your arms tight to your body...this helps brace them and reduce shake when you press the shutter release button.
I'm a short person and I've always been fairly flexible. I find that if I can't hold it still with just my arms I'll squat down and rest my arms on my knees to take the shot. If you need to, use anything around you that is stable...like the fence post. If you're going to be zooming in a lot you might want to get a tripod. Tripods keep the camera really steady. If you are taking pictures at night you most likely will need a tripod because the camera takes longer to get the shot...long exposure.

I think the link below could help you out. They explain things simply for those of us that don't know quite so much about cameras. The photography basics in their photography tutorials section has a lot of good stuff to help you out if you can find the time to read some of it. The hand holding tips are to the bottom of the page.

http://www.tutorial9.net/photography/standing-steady-proven-ways-to-reduce-shake-in-photography/
MaggyNoLia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:11 PM   #33
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Lorax, No such thing that I know of. I could do that on the condo grounds, the back or side yard, they're not too fussy about who does what in that department. Physically though, I'd need help. I'll look into it though.

Last year I had three hanging baskets of coral colored "million bells", or is thousand (?), and hummers liked them even though they were up on the second floor.

I hope there's a thread here for balcony gardening. Here's part of the yard as seen from the balcony.
Attached Thumbnails
February Photo of the month thread - post contest images here-p1180069.jpg  
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:12 PM   #34
Unicellular Fungi

You mentioned something about holding the button down longer after you take a picture in the other thread. I have noticed the camera bobbing upward when I finish. This may have something to do with at least some of my problems. I'll read what is over at your link.
Old 02-21-2009, 03:45 PM   #35

I think practicing steadying the camera is half the battle. I do a lot of shooting from the car actually. Roger pulls over for a hawk, he shoots thru the sun roof, I lower the window and steady the camera against the frame of the car. Also shoot "off the beanbag", a trick from a wildlife photographer. Put a bag of beans on the sill to steady the camera. Lentils work good. Always keep a few bean bags in the car.

Also have two tripods, a monopod, and some small tripods, but they're cheap and virtually worthless unless something is standing still.
Old 02-21-2009, 04:20 PM   #36
Unicellular Fungi

Quote:
I could do that on the condo grounds, the back or side yard, they're not too fussy about who does what in that department.
Start out very small. Maybe a 2' x 5' strip. Weight some tarp over the area to kill off the grass. Get some young neighbor to help you dig it out. Shouldn't take longer than an hour. Add a barrier around the edge. Fill it in with compost and top soil. Ask the other people here to send you plants to start. If I'm a charity case, you should be one too. Anything you don't plant consider a weed or use MY 1200 weeds of NA dvd to identify anything germinating in your plot and remove it. I can start you out with some seedlings.

Why do the beans work so well?
Old 02-21-2009, 05:40 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLorax View Post
Start out very small. Maybe a 2' x 5' strip. Weight some tarp over the area to kill off the grass. Get some young neighbor to help you dig it out. Shouldn't take longer than an hour. Add a barrier around the edge. Fill it in with compost and top soil. Ask the other people here to send you plants to start. If I'm a charity case, you should be one too. Anything you don't plant consider a weed or use MY 1200 weeds of NA dvd to identify anything germinating in your plot and remove it. I can start you out with some seedlings.

Why do the beans work so well?
Look what I have for starters! The condo assoc probably made them when these condos were built but the guy downstairs might have planted a lot of the stuff there. This is Buffalo - he has a big prickly pear kind of cactus that blooms out there every year! Big yellow flowers! When I lived in southwest Florida, they were considered weeds. Funny!

Now my neighbor's knees are shot and mine too. Makes gardening difficult but you're inspiring me to maybe try it. I'd love to have things to attract birds and butterflies!
~~~
A pkg of beans, the small plastic pkgs from the supermarket, let the camera settle in to something soft for steadying and positioning. It's easy to adjust the camera. I prefer lentils because the contents are more pliable than the larger beans.
~~~
So here are the three large plots

Attached Thumbnails
February Photo of the month thread - post contest images here-p1180075.jpg   February Photo of the month thread - post contest images here-p1180076.jpg   February Photo of the month thread - post contest images here-p1180077.jpg  
Old 02-21-2009, 05:44 PM   #38

Oh, forgot to say, those gardens are along the side of the property just this side of the property line. Beyond the gardens is an apartment complex.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:49 PM   #39
Unicellular Fungi

If a neighbor created that area I don't know that I take over his territory. Any place you can start without stepping on any toes? I can help you out with some native seedlings. You'll need some grasses.

Uh oh! Looks as if you may have to pass your token non-gardener title onto somebody else very soon.
Old 02-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #40

Hahahaha!

Tags
contest, february, images, month, photo, post, thread