Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2010, 09:23 PM   #51
POM Judge & Official Non Gardener

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
Attachment 19367
O'er the land of the free.....
havalotta, great action shot! Birds are so often dark, silhouetted against the sky when shot from below. I'm not good at editing but I hope you don't mind that I played with this shot because I loved it so. Essentially I lightened the underside to allow some detail to show.

August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-august-dscf5251-1ed.jpg <after and before> August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-august-dscf5251-1.jpg
Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 09:38 PM   #52
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
This colorful, almost metallic like, dragon fly larvae
Attachment 19343
reminds one of a piece of fine jewelry.
Wow! I've never seen one like that before, either! How cool! Where was that photo taken? What body of water?

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:15 PM   #53
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
havalotta, great action shot! Birds are so often dark, silhouetted against the sky when shot from below.
Thanks Sage....It IS a challenge.
That is why I chose this photo where the suns natural glow highlights the features and adds the dimension to the feathers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage View Post
I'm not good at editing but I hope you don't mind that I played with this shot because I loved it so. Essentially I lightened the underside to allow some detail to show.
IMHO.... I think the lightened one looks more like a cut out.
Soar....eeee gal.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 10:17 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by bridget1964 View Post
Wow! I've never seen one like that before, either! How cool! Where was that photo taken? What body of water?
In an inland pond up in Michigans Upper Peninsula.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:40 PM   #55
Curious George & UAOKA recipient

I really like Havalotta's eagle! Capturing a bird in flight so perfectly takes a great deal of skill. We actually do have bald eagles living at a lake close to me, which surprised me when I moved to NC, but not close enough to see them from my home.

I'm going for small with my entries. The first is, I believe, a yellow bear caterpillar (Virginia tiger moth).

The second I call "Why did the ant cross the bridge - to get to the other side." These ants regularly use my bridge to cross my stream. (I'd love to know what species they are; they sting, but they aren't the imported fire ants, and are usually solitary - I should put it in bug ID, but suunto will see it here)

The last is just funny and not really an entry. I put it on the herps photos already, but some folks haven't seen it. I call it "sumo toad".
Attached Thumbnails
August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-yellow-bear-caterpillar.jpg   August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-ant-crosing-bridge.jpg   August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-sumo-toad-1.jpg  

Turttle's pollinator garden
turttle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:07 PM   #56
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post

I'm going for small with my entries. The first is, I believe, a yellow bear caterpillar (Virginia tiger moth).
Your yellow bear caterpillar is amazing--cool shot. I think I may have seen one on my walk today--but I didn't take a picture.

The ant is a very clear shot and the toad is worth seeing again.
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:16 AM   #57

Go Sumo Go!
Don't you know ANY photo put into this thread is a contender!

Excerpt from the rules: Please do not post any photos that are not intended to be entries.
(Did you notice the results in last months contest?)

Awesome cat! It looks like a thousand shooting stars merging into one point. Fuzz fusion
I like your ant too....Not only does he cross the bridge, he appears to be thinking about how to cross yet another hurdle along the way.

Old 08-27-2010, 05:43 AM   #58
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by turttle View Post
(I'd love to know what species they are; they sting, but they aren't the imported fire ants, and are usually solitary - I should put it in bug ID, but suunto will see it here)
You'd better pass this one on to MrIlovetheants; I'd have to run this one through a key, and I cannot see enough of the diagnostic characters to do that with any confidence - sorry...

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #59
WG Operations, Facilitator

bear

A different perspective...

Cubs snoozing on horizontal tree limbs with me photographing them while laying horizontally on the ground under them.

August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-dsc_0015.jpg August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-dsc_0076.jpg August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-dsc_0081.jpg August 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-dsc_0034.jpg
Old 08-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #60

Makes me want to go up there and tickle their feet... Where was mama bear?

Tags
2010, august, contest, enter, entries, insects, month, photo, photo contest, photo of the month, photographs, photography, photos, pictures, post, potm, wildflowers, wildlife