Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Stiles View Post
Post the links lynx anyway .... since prizes are cut I'm more than open to making comments on how to improve an image if anyone is interested. Oh yeah, I see your lion and raise with a captive cougar....
Nice cats.....
That's a great idea! No prizes, just cut us down royally.
SERIOUSLY though....I wouldn't mind a few negative shots from a pro like you.
I'd LOVE to learn how to improve upon my photography. That's prize enough for me....

I tried various settings through the bars but most of them still showed a light, light bar effect....
I just don't have the knowledge to figure out depth of field, aperture, and shutter speed settings.
I did notice a few weeks ago that if I pressed between two different dials one way or the next, the Histogram? eventually lines up in the middle of the graph.
I get a better, more vivid colored photo. They almost appear altered they're so saturated.

This camera seems to take a lot of pale, almost grey blue foggy like images... The color gets lost. I can't capture the reds, red the pinks, fuschias or the depth of the whites unless I experiment over and over with the manual settings.. Like some two dozen times! I really work hard at trying to capture the life like colors..

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:55 PM   #12
Naturalist/Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by havalotta View Post
I wouldn't mind a few negative shots from a pro like you. I'd LOVE to learn how to improve upon my photography. That's prize enough for me....
sorry .... no negative shots from me - I shoot digital!!!
Dave Stiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 04:06 PM   #13
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Ohhhh You're on a roll now.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #14
A Bee's Best Friend

Eastern Tiger Swallowtail in our garden.
Attached Thumbnails
July 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - Post Entries Here-july-12th-2010lg-074.jpg  

http://pollinators-welcome.blogspot.com/
Gloria is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 07:15 PM   #15
WG Hospitality & UAOKA recipient

As of yet unidentifed caterpillar. (Please excuse the sentence fragment all of you teachers and grammar nuts--like me.)
Attached Thumbnails
July 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - Post Entries Here-yard-visitors-016.jpg  
dapjwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 08:22 AM   #16
The Bug Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dapjwy View Post
As of yet unidentifed caterpillar. (Please excuse the sentence fragment all of you teachers and grammar nuts--like me.)
This appears to be a larva of a sawfly (actually a wasp) in the family Tenthredinidae. They superficially resemble caterpillars, but they have prolegs on the second abdominal segment, which true caterpillars lack.

Henry Ward Beecher
suunto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 09:02 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by suunto View Post
This appears to be a larva of a sawfly (actually a wasp) in the family Tenthredinidae. They superficially resemble caterpillars, but they have prolegs on the second abdominal segment, which true caterpillars lack.
suunto,

I just saw your response on the other thread. I really appreciate the information. Actually, I did notice the six prolegs ('though I didn't know that was what they were called) and made a mental note of it. I'm learning a lot here. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:48 PM   #18
Official Plant Nerd

If I didn't know better now that I've seen the photo suunto posted I would have guessed that caterpillar was a 2nd instar of the Pyrrhalta viburni larvae.
Old 07-15-2010, 06:50 PM   #19
Official Plant Nerd

Check this out. A photo of a 2nd AND 3rd instar of the Viburnum Leaf Beetle, viburnum leaf beetle second and third instar larvae. Close but no bananas!!!
Old 07-15-2010, 09:10 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
If I didn't know better now that I've seen the photo suunto posted I would have guessed that caterpillar was a 2nd instar of the Pyrrhalta viburni larvae.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
Check this out. A photo of a 2nd AND 3rd instar of the Viburnum Leaf Beetle, viburnum leaf beetle second and third instar larvae. Close but no bananas!!!
Strange that they are so similar looking...I'm sure it didn't help any that I happened to post both photos in the same thread. They were taken almost 2 acres apart and on different plants.

Tags
2010, bees, birds, contest, contests, entries, flower photo contest, insects, july, month, native plants, nature, nature photo contest, nature photos, photo, photo contest, photo of the month, photography, photography contest, photos, pictures, post, wildlife, wildlife photo contest