Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening  

Go Back   Wildlife Gardeners - North American Wildlife Gardening > Welcome To The Wildlife Gardeners Forum! > Photo of the Month

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 03:46 PM   #41
Carbon

no way, I figured he could keep it. The only reason I got close cause his mouth was full.
I could hear the poor catfish making grunting noises as the snake took him under.

One of those Wild Kingdom moments.
bayouchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:37 PM   #42
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Default cool!

Wow. Way cool photo and description, Bayouchic! Definitely a Wild Kingdom moment.

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 04:40 PM   #43
Butterfly Educator Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdmandea View Post
Here is what I found in the yard yesterday
Just catching up on posts as I have been busy tagging horseshoe crabs this week. What a beautiful photo of a sweet little creature! Okay, maybe most people don't think they are sweet, but I do! I had a little one like this get in my house one summer. He was so adorable! I trapped him with a live trap and a ripe banana. They are suckers for fruit!

Great shot, Birdmandea!

http://mslenahan.edublogs.org/
bridget1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:09 PM   #44
Grub

Default Eastern painted turtles sunning

Last Thursday at my favorite beaver pond, after using binoculars and seeing 3 pairs of nesting great blue herons and then seeing a straying cormorant, I didn't think life could get better...then, I saw 5 turtles also enjoying the sun.
Attached Thumbnails
May 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-p1220185.jpg  
trout lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #45
WG Contest Coordinator

Trout lily, you caught a rare event seldom seen by humans. What you were able to catch on film is the here-to-now fabled turtle log rolling competition. Granted, it is less exciting than the competition engaged in by lumberjacks, but you can certainly see the origins of that sport. Well done!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #46
Grub

Quote:
Originally Posted by tineckbone View Post
Trout lily, you caught a rare event seldom seen by humans. What you were able to catch on film is the here-to-now fabled turtle log rolling competition. Granted, it is less exciting than the competition engaged in by lumberjacks, but you can certainly see the origins of that sport. Well done!!!
Well, aw shucks, I didn't wanna brag, but you caught me. Yes, you thought you knew it all, those hardy lumberjacks giving it their all, knocking opponents into roiling waters...but, they just copied the turtles, tuning it up from basking to bashing!
trout lily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 09:19 PM   #47
Heron

I guess I'll enter one of my shots of the red mite scrum. I'm pretty sure they're Trombidiidae mites, about 2 or 3mm long. They were massed up in one spot, and I saw a little blob of red, caught my attention when I was photographing a mushroom, so I took several shots of these bright red arachnids. They're attractive and repulsive all at the same time.

John
May 2010 Photo of the Month Contest - post entries here-trombidiidae-mites-dsc_1042.jpg
Old 05-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #48
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

Jpdenk, Do the red mites gravitate towards water in the Spring to mate by chance?
I found an aquatic variety this spring that looks real similar to these. So fat you could see their eggs through their skin!

Bayou, That was an awesome thing to witness!
Trout, Did you watch them go plunk, plunk, plunk, one by one when they spied the judge?

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 09:58 AM   #49
Heron

The mites were within maybe 1,000 feet from a lake (about 1/4 mile from where the "Lake House" was, if you saw the 2006 movie of the same name). They were in oak woods, and there was a small seasonal creek nearby, maybe 30 feet away. I see them everywhere in the woods though.

John
Old 05-16-2010, 10:16 AM   #50
WG Prize & Gift Coordinator

I just found your new mite thread .... I put a few photos of mine in there to view.

A walk among the elusive Whitetail Deer
havalotta is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2010, contest, contests, entries, month, photo, photo contest, photo entries, photo of the month, photographers, photographs, photography contest, post